1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only person annoyed when people don't text properly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ANightDude, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Rooni321

I hate:
    lawls and lawlz
    Chu(instead of you)
    Dis
    Dat
    U
    Ur
    ! h@T3 d!$ t00
    Btch
    Chihkz (chicks)
    Tee hee
    Or anything else along those lines.

Haha 'sentences'.

2. crazyhead

My mom spells "what" w-u-t on her cellphone. I had to point out that she has to hit the 8 key twice to get the U. And if she's gonna spell it wrong to save time, at least use an A since it's the right letter and is one keystroke fewer than U. Not only that. It bothers be when people don't use semikolons when they should. Or if they use a comma when they don't need one. But what pisses me off to no end is when people say things like, "he and I" when it should be "him and me." Because I know they're just trying to sound smarter than they really are.

#42 crazyhead, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Fiddledeedee

I dislike it, but oh well. What is utterly awful is when people use it on a computer where saving time and space like that is unnecessary, or when the "shortcuts" that are used take longer than normal text. The other thing that bothers me is when on a computer, people change the font needlessly, especially to Comic Sans MS.

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude, I get you completely. It totally drives me nuts in a chat room when people speak mainly in letters...not because I can't understand them (I generally can)...but because to me it makes them look like a 5 year old. I do use some abbreviations when I chat (notably, ty, yw, wb, lol, LOL, LOLOL), but for the most part, I chat or text as you see me do here. My partner feels the same way, and for her, it's enough to keep her out of chat rooms and from texting.

But she and I have an excuse for feeling this way...we are 44. I hate to tell you, but you and I and my partner are part of a dying breed of people who know a language and aren't afraid to use it.

I am frankly thrilled and relieved to find that there are people your age who feel as you do! Never forget this quote...I can't remember where I first heard it, but it is brilliant and it is true:

"Good writing is the secret handshake by which intelligent people recognize one another."

5. caughtbywitness

I do what I call "forum talk". Just use abbreviations for sayings like "iirc" and "idek", but I do sometimes like to mix around with apostrophe's and use 'em or 'tis.

6. Vesper

I've seen my mom use ^0^, ^_^, ^^, u, ur, and thx in our IM conversations. It's so odd when your own parents use emotes and chatspeak more than you do.

kthxbai, lulz, and plz are the ones that annoy me the most.

7. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

It is one of my greatest pet peeves. I LOVE grammar! It’s sickening really how anal I am about grammar LOL!

8. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family

9. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

Like you, I want people to write properly. In Spanish some people don't use the correct words for what they want to say; like with the homophones.
    Sometimes people change letters in words and they look awful.
    I remember one day in the cinema with my boyfriend and there was a commercial where people texted like: k hras oii? when it has to be "qué harás hoy?" (What are you doing today). My boyfriend was like: why are they promoting people to write like that? D;it's awful.

If something is misspelled, I'm sorry. Lo lamento jaja.

10. Danny19

it bothers me when people go to extremes in writing like that. for instance. "Mah" for my. it seems like more work and it sounds ghetto. I usually only use it for abbreviations like idk, omg, lol, lmao, wyd. thats pretty much it and for u and r. but everything else i spell it out because i feel like i cant spell. lol. Since my phone keyboard doesnt work so well right now, when i text some letters dont go in. so it seems like this " hey so wat ar u ding somtime tomorow?" and it bothers me and then they ask what ding and ar are and i have to explain lol. Anyways im glad none of my friends that i text go 2 da extriim nd text lyk dis.. lol they all pretty much text everything out too. thank god haha

11. omgnoway

omgnoway Guest

Itz called txting 4 a reason U git?

12. James

I always user proper English when texting. Most of my friends refuse to take the extra second to type something out.

This was typed out using my Android phone. :wink:

13. starscene

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i use a mix of both to be fair. either way as long as they get the message :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Friendly ghost

It bothers the crap out of me, but I think I go the other extreme and text too neatly. I use all my punctuation and proper grammar. I really annoy people when I send a follow up text with a correction. lol