1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lt. Dan Choi Arrested at White House During Gay Rights Rally

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000740-503544.html

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I saw this on Twitter. At first I was like wut? But it seems kind of an extreme action even for him.

3. Just Adam

i think that could do more harm than good :frowning2: the days of chaining protests are over they dont work people move on and forget you . this will just help those bigots believe that were animals :frowning2:

4. Emberstone

you would think a military offical would be smart enough to know that you cant chain yourself to the fence of the white house, as it is protected property, not public property.

Utterly foolish on his part.

5. Dan82

Get arrested was his intent, he did it to bring attention to the issue.

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Glad he got arrested, and disappointed that he crashed an event being put on to support gay rights by the HRC.

7. NickT

Not a good way to gain support...sigh...but meh.

8. EM68

As much as I don't like civil disobedience, I give Lt. Choi a lot of credit for standing up for his and OUR right and raise awareness of the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. This is a critical time for the repeal of DADT. This is a link on CNN of him being arrested. I find it very emotional.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/?fbid=pTQ1kf_15FN

9. Emberstone

yah... but it is not us he needs to win over... it is the kind of people who will frown upon breaking the law to make a point that we have to win over in the DADT/ENDA/Gay rights movement.

10. ANightDude

Well, think about it. MLK was arrested multiple times, as was many other gay rights activists. Getting arrested is just part of the ordeal of gaining rights, though he apparently did it purposefully this time, most likely to gain awareness and show the world exactly how far we are willing to go.

Or maybe he's just out of it.

11. Shevanel

They could've done a million different better protests than handcuffing themselves to the White House's fence.

12. ANightDude

Of course they could have, but its a smart way to get publicity as well.

13. Brad

I agree that it wasn't the best idea. In the past arrests have led to more anger and more support over issues but that was only when they were arrested for nothing, not because they were arrested for doing something they shouldn't.

14. Just Adam

the guy might as well spray painted a rainbow in front of the white house then sprayed it with lacquer.

cos all we would learn from this is he did it in protest of dadt which makes us seem like mindless well not anarchists but vandals

15. NathanHaleFan

It's very disheartening that you all think Dan Choi's protest was a bad idea. Civil disobedience has clearly been one of the most effective tools in gaining civil rights. Anyone who has paid attention in history class should know this by heart. The fact that you don't appreciate what Dan Choi has done is only making me fear more and more that my generation lacks any real propensity for protest.

I've actually met Dan Choi in person and seen him give a speech in a rally in NYC. I truly believe that if anyone in our movement has the leadership required to move us forward, it's him.

16. Just Adam

theres a massive difference between protesting and chaining yourself to a fence like a moron. its not a great way to protest and looking back at history the only worse thign you could do was throw yourself under a race horse >.>

17. Dan82

My opinion is that protest are almost always counterproductive; someone attending a protest will almost always either have a sign with something stupid on it, say something stupid or do something stupid. Opponents of the protesters will then use the few idiots to discredit the entire movement.

18. Just Adam

i partially agree certainly people seem to think to protest you must have a smart ass sign or a smart ass mouth or do something that will get you notiiced and is always counter productive. you just need to stand tall and be seen for what you believe in dignity gets you alot.