1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage in general

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kv88, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Shevanel

I shall definitely be getting married.

And not fuck it up with like my dad did.

2. Rikudo

Well I'd like to get married when I find the right person.

3. Zach1992

'Partner' just sounds so awkward & can mean a bunch of things. I'm definitly in the 'husband' camp regardless if I can get married by that time.

4. Breakdown

i wanna get married if i find the right girl :slight_smile:

5. shimmersky

I would LOVE to get married. I'm a sucker for sentimental stuff. :slight_smile:

6. Chandra

I would get married if the person I was with really wanted to (and I was ready to commit to them on that level), but I'm not attached to it. I don't feel like I need to.

As for the word "partner", all the straights use it here too. I think it's a BC thing.

7. starfish

I am opposed to marriage as we know it.

If two people choose to define their relationship as that of marriage, I fully support that.

However it is none of government's damn business. The rights and privileges the government grants to married couples is nothing but social manipulation.

I'm going to leave it at that.

8. Emberstone

Iwant the right to marry. Now, if I get married of course depends on finding the right guy, and that we were prepared and desired to make that commitment.

9. egnvectr

egnvectr Guest

I like the idea of getting married at some point.
    I don't think I want a wedding ceremony though - i'd rather just fill out the forms and stuff and have it registered.

The word partner bothers me too. it reminds me of a business partner or something.

10. Sylver

This is one of my favorite topics to consider and one where I'm still squarely on the fence. Part of me thinks that I don't need a church or the state to affirm whether I love someone or not - it's between me and my other half, and it's no one else's business. I don't see the need to indicate it as a "status" to others, and if and when I find someone to love for life I won't need a piece of paper or a ring to ensure that I will love them forever - it will just happen. So I've always thought of marriage as an unnecessary ceremony done for the sake of others. That's one reason why up until recently I wasn't much of a supporter of same-sex marriage.

But I'm also a romantic and I see the notion of marriage as being one of the most romantic things that two people can do if both find it romantic. And now I totally get why two guys or two girls should be able to marry if they want to - it's a matter of having the choice. I'm not sure whether that will change my own position on marriage, but I do get it now.

And I wish someone could help me get over something I hate about myself - why do I still get uneasy when I hear a guy refer to his significant other as his "husband"? It's like it's one of the last vestiges of my own internalized homophobia that I have trouble shaking... I really want to let go of this remnant of my past and get used to the idea of a "husband and husband" without feeling awkward....

11. Jim1454

I to some extent feel the same way. It sounds awkward, but I attribute it to my fairly conservative upbringing and having come from a different generation.

My boyfriend and I have both been married to women, and at first weren't necessarily that keen on getting married again. Neither of us saw the point.

But I think that's because we married the first time for the wrong reason - we did it to a large extent because we were supposed to. But now, as we fall more and more in love with one another, getting married has a lot more appeal. We'd be doing it for the RIGHT reason - because we love each other totally and completely, and were committed to spending the rest of our lives together.

So who knows? I might remarry one of these days. The thought of it actually makes me smile. :slight_smile:

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Marriage carries all sorts of benefits with it, so from a practical perspective, if you love the person, why not go for it?

13. starfish

I'm the same way.

I think a lot of it comes from my conservative upbringing. I was taught that the man goes to work, makes the money, is the master of house. While the woman stays home, raises the kids, and cooks the mans dinner. I absolutely abhor that relationship dynamic. So I really don't like the terms husband and wife, because to me a dominate/submissive relationship.

It has taken some time but I prefer the term partner. To me it implies that it is a relationship of peers.

Of course this could all come from my distain of authority. I believe that people should cooperate based on mutual respect and not derive power from an arbitrary hierarchical structure.

14. whoami

whoami Guest

part of me loves the idea of marriage and has my perfect wedding planned right down to my shoes

But the other part of doesn't want to be tied down and just wants to be able to do whatever I want for the rest of my life

15. SaturdaySaviour

I'd like to get married some day, but I don't think it's really necessary.
    I don't know what's going to happen in a few years or so and what my partner will want.

16. paco

paco Guest

uhm.. spouse? that's a term for a married person. i really hate the term partner too. when the situation comes up i will never want to call my boyfriend my partner. it just seems so rigid and stilted to me, and i do like the word boyfriend a lot lol.

-------------

as for marriage, definitely. a pledge of commitment would be nice because to me without it i might wonder how serious our relationship is. i mean i'm sure i'd basically know, and i could talk about it with him, but i could be wrong, and talking is just words. if he commits then i know.

i know it's kinda silly and maybe a little unnecessary from that point of view cause of divorces and stuff, but a legal contract is a good reminder.

17. Noah

I would def want to get married! It's just always been a dream of mine...

18. biisme

I would like a wedding. Have no idea if it'll be a guy or girl, but I've always fantasized about a wedding. Pus, there are serious legal benefits. However, if I had an awesome partner who really didn't want to get married, I wouldn't break up with them because of it.

19. vitanil

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel marriage is a symbol of love and commitment and should be valued as such...
    if not, then for equality's sake! Everyone deserves equal opportunities-whether or not any given person values those opportunities is up to him!

20. Holmes

I'd always imagined that I'd get married, when I assumed it would a wife that I'd have. It wasn't immediately after realizing that I was gay that I knew I'd still like to get married, but I really feel now I definitely would. There really is something about a romantic commitment between me and someone else that I aspire to.

----------

I'd imagine any gay person who's married would be comfortable enough any one knowing they're gay. Even if they don't make a point of mentioning it, it's hard to hide it at that point. Part of the point of marriage is that it's a public commitment.