1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did you deny your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swamp56, Feb 26, 2010.

?

How long did you deny your sexuality?

1. I didn't

31 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. 0-6 months

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 6-11 months

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. 1-1.9 years

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 2-2.9 years

14 vote(s)
    9.0%
  6. 3-3.9 years

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. 4-4.9 yeras

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. 5+ years

64 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Peter

It took me forty years to publicly admit what I had refused to admit all along - people under thirty today probably do not understand why. By the time I came out, I had to come out to my wife and my adult children.

2. 507bro

till the end of middle school, high school i knew i was gay for sure

3. lolz

I have never really denied it to myself. its sort of something I always have known, even when I was 4 or 5 I knew I was attracted to guys. At the time girls too; just because I thought I was "supposed" to be.

4. Markio

I didn't identify myself as gay until I was 18 in college. However, I'd been getting turned on by pictures of men since I was ten, but decided that that was not sufficient evidence, and hoped that girls would interest me eventually. They never did and still don't.

Also, before I even began getting turned on by thinking about men, I used to imagine men being strangely touchy-feely with each other, just not in a "sexual" way. In other words, nothing to do with genitalia.

5. cattmolez

Out Status:
    A few people
    about a year, I guess.

6. s5m1

Oh, it was probably a little over 30 years. Yeah, I know; I was a little slow on this one . . . .

7. EM68

^^

Sounds like me also. :slight_smile: Now that I'm out I feel so much happier.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

To follow up on the question I asked, I my old psychiatrist did a "rule-out" (meaning that one shows signs, but there is not sufficient evidence to diagnose) on "sexual disorder not otherwise stated" because I had gay thoughts.

:/

9. guacj

I hid who I really was for about 10 years...I started coming out right before my 23rd birthday.

10. uptownboy

i never deny it..i just confused about it for about 2 years i guess..

11. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never denied it. I started being attracted to guys and eventually realized that meant I'm gay.

12. In a way I'm still denying it but I am totally aware of the fact. I have "been" straight for most of my life. I have never actively pursued relationships with women but if one came along and it seemed easy I would go for it. Horribly selfish I know. When having sex with these women it was difficult to get aroused. I would just count the minutes thinking "I hope this is over soon."

I really suppressed gay thoughts intensely. Every now and then I would get convinced I was straight but NEVER look for a girl to date. I would get so annoyed by women because I just can't make anything work. Why can't I desire a loving relationship with a women?

I'm not really pretending to be straight anymore cause all that does is aggravate me. I know I like men and coming out to a few people has felt really good. Honestly I am looking forward to finding a good guy but I have to stop being a cynical a$$hole before that will happen. I will find one and hopefully he will appreciate my quirks.

13. someguy82

Hid it for about 10 years. Was one of the most relieving moments in my life when I stopped hiding it.

14. whoami

whoami Guest

for like two months i was slightly confused so if someone asked i said i was straight but now i am totally open

15. joezimm48

i was just unsure for a time

16. cpt doodles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    it was always sortof there in me, and 'developed' a bit more in the last year or so. id been in denial pretty much the whole time, and acted pretty much like a homophobe but then my friend came out and showed me this site. after bein on this site for a while i was thinkin maybe its not something to be ashamed of, but something to embrace - i did and now im totally kewl with it, however telling people shoud be a real thrill ride as the whole super defensive homophobe stage really knocked it into my m8s that im 100% straight - oh fudge...

17. Miss Bubbles

I was really little when I found out about it so I didn't understand it. But never denied it.

18. Woot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've always been sorta attracted to guys, but even as a kid I always thought, "No, that's just the devil getting into my head to make me perverted. :O" But when my thoughts became more... ahem... "mature". Well, at that point I really tore myself up about it for a year. I just constantly denied it, and tried everything (and I mean everything) to fight my attraction towards guys. But one morning I prayed (and I'm paraphrasing here), "God, if I'm gay, and you think it's okay, please give me a sign. Amen." And later that day, I was randomly pressing the 'stumble upon' button thingy, and I found this site :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So, 5+ years for me ^^

19. Emberstone

never. It took me nearly ten years to come out, but I knew I was gay before I knew there was such a thing in the world. Then I realized how hard it would be to tell my family. I didn't tell them, accepted myself, and never did anything heterosexual in nature.

20. adam88

I was straight at one point. Back in high school, for example, I had absolutely no interest in guys. Afterward, though, sometime in my mid twenties things shifted. I was in denial for at least the last few years. And now? Much better. :grin: