1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative columnist: a single course discredits an entire university

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://townhall.com/columnists/MikeAdams/2010/02/09/texas_gaym_university

It actually gets worse from there.

So apparently this one course is so powerful that it makes it imposable to learn anything in any of the other courses offered at Texas A&M!

2. RaeofLite

That's just sad. *sigh* Straight people don't realize the entire world is dedicated to them and we just want "a little piece" for ourselves.

And a Sarah Palin book (full of **** most likely) advertised in the middle of the article. :lol:

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Replace "straight" with "homophobic", and then change "them" to "heterosexuals".

4. Gaetan

A professor at my university taught a unit in his World War II history class entirely on Nazi literature. Oh, the humanity~!

5. Just Adam

i want to do a class on gay literature ! im sick of fucking shakespeare with all of it man meets woman man loves woman man gets woman, then it either ha[[y ever after or ends in madness and death

6. Peter

Hey, you might get gay cooties!

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seriously. This dude could have just said that and saved himself some typing. Some people's closed-minded perceptions of things never cease to amaze me.

8. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am curious about the definition of Gay and Lesbian literature. Does that mean general literary output by someone who was reliably known to be gay? Does that mean an examination of the literature itself which has been produced by a gay/lesbian person: and if so, what was intended by the work? Does that mean a gay/lesbian writer producing a specific set of work advocating a particular point of view? Or could that mean literary output by someone of indeterminate sexuality that had an influence on the gay community?

And is the determination of the author's sexuality a matter of history (i.e. Oscar Wilde) or is it a supposition based on the content of the literature because of a supposed or actual effect on society?

Are these ideas too complex for right wing conservatives to understand? Am I just blowing hot air? Any ideas? :thumbsup::eek:frowning2:!):tantrum::eusa_doh::eusa_clap

9. Connor22

honestly where do you guys find these people? they are brilliant, I mean they almost glow with idiocy it's actually funny

oh and *facepalm*

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted a comment asking God to save the bigots :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: they need it.

11. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Whoop! I am currently attending Texas A&M! I wish I had known about this course while I had more options so I could have fit it in my schedule. We are a rather conservative campus, so it's great to see that this course was made available.

12. Nodnarb

My respect for A&M has increased a lot after reading that "article":wink: Here I had thought they were almost as bad as Baylor.

There are some many things wrong with the author's reasoning that it would take weeks to address each mistake. A *facepalm* is definitely deserved.

13. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Eh. I wouldn't go to a university that had a course about 'Creation Science'. I figure there is no need for a double standard. If you think that lesbians and gays are teh ebil, you obviously wouldn't want to a pay an organization that disagrees. Let them critique the university; it's only going to garner more admissions since they are essentially advertising for the school.

14. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Texas A&M does not have a "Creation Science" class. At least not offered through the biology department (I couldn't find it anywhere in the course catalog). My boyfriend is a biology major, and they are very "pro-evolution" in the science department.

PS(I am not sure if you were implying that A&M had that course or not. That was my impression of what you were saying the first few times I read your post, but I realize you're not exactly clear. Either way, just wanted to clear that up!)

#14 Kevin42, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Exactly what I was gonna say but you beat me to it.

16. haelmarie

Obviously a crap school

17. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

No. No. My point was simply that I wouldn't take a university that taught something that I thoroughly disbelieved or disliked seriously. Especially if it was a value that I held very dear to my heart. So while their opinions are lame and completely off-base, it's not strange to think they would condemn a university for offering a course that blatantly opposed their views (whatever they happened to be).

18. sdc91

Isn't that the exact same viewpoint as that of the writer of the article? Might want to reconsider...

I fully support universities teaching courses of any kind that challenge my thoughts or ideals. That's kind of the whole point of a university-- exposure to new ideas and intellectual growth. You can choose to accept or to reject new ideas and formulate your own personal philosophy based off of that.

Hehe, I'm sure Stanford's going to go into the gutter really soon, according to that guy's reasoning... my poor university.

@haelmarie: Hahahah, loved the link

19. Shevanel

That's exactly what I was thinking...

20. starfish

The thing the author failed to take into account is they are a bunch of Aggies. The odds of that weren't all that good in the first place.