1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Languages

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Feb 7, 2010.

?

Which languages do you speak fluently? (Check all that apply)

1. English

110 vote(s)
    98.2%
  2. Spanish

19 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. French

24 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. German

15 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Italian

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Portuguese

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Chinese

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Japanese

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. Korean

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. Thai

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  11. Filipino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Latin

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  13. Greek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Vietnamese

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  15. Russian

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  16. Arabic

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  17. Hebrew

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  18. Irish (Gaelic)

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  19. Sign Language

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  20. Other (Please Specify)

15 vote(s)
    13.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Eponine

I guess I'll be the first person to vote Vietnamese. :grin:

I speak English fluently. I would say that my Vietnamese is pretty good, although it's been in a slow decline since I moved away for college because I haven't had to speak it as much (I use it mostly to talk with family).

2. Apocalypte

English is the only language I speak fluently, I've forgotten the vast majority of the Irish I learnt at school, I also did French, a term of Spanish and 2 terms of Italian at school and 3 semester of Japanese at college.

Programming languages? Java, Matlab, C++, C, some Python. :slight_smile:

3. PurpleTomato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm fluent in English. I used to know Armenian (my dad's language) fluently as a kid, but I forgot almost all of it. Right now, I am able to understand quite a bit of spoken Bengali (my mom's language), but I don't know enough to read in it.

I have been studying French in school for 5 years and I can use it to a very limited degree.

OMG another conlanger???!!!! (*hug*) xD
    I'm working on quite a complicated one at the moment and I am not fluent in it yet...

Since I'm into linguistics, I've been able to pick up about 12 different writing systems which comes in handy. But outside the realm of linguistics, it's pretty useless considering I don't actually know what I am reading.

4. RaeofLite

Fluent in English, decent in french, and I can understand the odd words in German.

5. Fluent in English, but i really want to learn Spanish.

But i live in South Florida, i mean honestly who speaks Spanish down here? :wink:

6. My native language is English. I kinda understand Spanish but if I try to say something I sound like I'm on Reno911.

7. olides84

Fluent in English and decent in Spanish as I took it in school for 7 years. Of course, the three official languages in the country I'm living in are Dutch, French and German and I'm pitiful in all of them :frowning2:

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

English (fluently) and Spanish (very proficient / almost fluent). I'm literate in Russian, and I took intensive Italian in high school (though I haven't practiced it in a while).

:grin:

C++, Java, PHP, JavaScript, some Ruby

#28 Swamp56, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2010
  9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    English is my native tongue but I also speak portuguese so I voted for Portuguese :grin:

10. Nodnarb

English is my native language, and I took four years of Spanish. Unfortunately, I haven't used Spanish in almost a year, and I wasn't completely fluent to begin with. I took some French and German before, but I don't really remember anything.

I've been watching a German TV show (with subtitles in English), and I really want to learn German now. I've picked up a little just from watching the show, and I've noticed I say some things with a German accent lately. And I really want to be able to get angry and yell at somebody in German:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    English is my first language and I can hold a conversation inGerman, but I'm by no means fluent. I studied Chinese for as long as I studied German, but I barely remember anything now.

12. RainInAfrica

Irish is your Native language :thumbsup:

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was Chinese really difficult? I mean, for a native English speaker to learn :slight_smile:

14. Harve

English (no shit), French i can do pretty easily tbh, though i'm shy speaking it but know i know way more than a learner of 5 years would be expected to. Spanish is not so good, don't quite no why but despite it being simple i can't remember Spanish words so well, which is frustrating.

15. BrownBoi89

I only voted for English because that's the only one I'm fluent in. Apparently when I was little I used to know Punjabi too, but I think when I started school I forgot it all because we don't speak Punjabi at home. Though first year in uni I took an introductory course in Punjabi so I know how to read and write it now, but my reading-comprehension level is really low, because I can't understand most things I read without a dictionary. I can speak Punjabi a little but I'm better at understanding it, but even then sometimes I have no clue what is being said. I've studied French from about grade 3 til about the first term in uni. So you would think I'd be fluent in that? Nope. Since then I'm slowly starting to forget French, but I must say I think I'm pretty good at reading and writing it, I can speak it okay, but whenever I hear it spoken it's too fast for me to understand anything lol.

16. Apocalypte

Amazing how we do 13-14 years of it in school and most of us barely speak it...

17. That is what I want to do also.

18. Yannee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mother tongue is Finnish, I'm very fluent in English (that's my major), I'm not too bad with Swedish and German, and I've also learned some French, Japanese, Russian, Estonian, Mandarin Chinese and Finnish sign language, although the last two I've pretty much forgotten.

Voted for English, German and Other(s).

Did I say I love languages? :slight_smile:

19. chrisg

English is my native language, and I took five years of French before college and loved it. In fact, I almost majored in French but decided at the last minute to do music. I remember quite a bit of French; when I went to Paris for a weekend during a study-abroad trip, I was able to negotiate (in French) a discount on a dress for my friend because there was a hole in it!

20. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

My native languages: French and English.

I speak fluently: Spanish, Catalan, Norwegian

I speak at an advanced level (passively fluent, advance intermediate active fluency): Kvensk (Finnish dialect), Dutch

Passively Fluent: Occitan, Portuguese, Italian

I've studied formally: Romanian, Latin, German

Yannee: Oot suomalainen? COOL! Missä asut suomessa?