1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School System Bans Diary of Anne Frank

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Sicsemper79

May His breath fill you lungs and His wisdom open your eyes!!! It is only through hate that we can learn to Love divinely.

2. Holmes

This is mad, considering the context of the book and its place in history. It is an excellent choice for teenagers, as they can really imagine the cruelty and horror of the Holocaust as they become familiar with someone like themselves.

The passages in question, as far as I remember, involve her wanting to feel her friend's breasts. From the diary as a whole, there's no reason not to consider that Anne Frank herself was straight. Not that it would matter at all, but homosexuality really isn't an issue in it.

Worth remembering, her father did want those (and certain other) passages left out, probably as he felt they would dominate what people would read, that they were too private, and they don't appear in older versions. He was probably being overprotective, but I could understand that a father might feel that.

What's most amusing is the 1983 Alabama Committee decision quoted in the article that called for it not to be in schools because it was a real downer. Unlike most Holocaust-related books, I suppose.

3. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If a book is banned, that usually means there's something controversial in it that needs to be addressed by society. So you're right, the best books are banned books.

4. ANightDude

And this is the only part pertaining to homosexuality or sex. Yes, some people believe Anne may have been bisexual. But come on, to ban it over a few lines on a page? It's so idiotic its hard to say.

People NEED to read the book. How is humanity supposed to evolve without knowing history? We learn the bad parts in history for a simple reason - so people don't make the same mistakes again. The town already looks down upon minorities, they might as well start hating the Jewish people now that this is done.

5. RaeofLite

*:lol:s at his humour*

6. xCrazyInsanity

What homosexual themes?

"Gay" ment happy in that time, people. A woman's female friends were girlfriends, and it was OK to say that one of them is attractive.
    GET OVER IT

7. musicgirl112233

To bad we are going backwards.

8. ANightDude

They don't ever say "gay", but Anne talks about having a slumber party with a friend who is a girl, and Anne wanting to touch her breasts. It was also shown (her trying to) in the movie "Anne Frank: The Whole Story" or something alone those lines. And yeah, thats it. Nothing else.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMFG it's official, USA has gone to shit...

10. Shevanel

I wasn't aware how one school's actions could represent an entire country =O A huge country as well! Damn that must mean I gotta make sure I don't step on a crack, God forbid that ends up on the evening local news =P

11. Thank.you.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

There are over 10,000 school districts in the United States. You're saying that because 1/10,000 of them banned the diary of Anne Frank, that all of them have gone to shit?

How fascinating. I guess because my neighbor's step-daughter's aunt doesn't believe in gay marriage, that everyone in this country doesn't either.

#32 Swamp56, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  13. GhostDog

Oh, Joey, Joey, Joey. Didn't you know? The actions of a vocal, batshit-crazy minority represent everyone in the same geographical area! This is why everyone in America supports everything that happens here automatically. Though I gotta say, I can't go outside when pro-war and anti-war protesters are out at the same time; my head starts to catch fire. =(

14. Shevanel

Don't ask how, but I totally read the last part of that as "My crotch starts to catch fire". Seriously. Don't Ask. I won't Tell.

15. adam88

Ha! :grin:

Also, Sicsemper: Poe's Law

16. RaeofLite

:lol:

"Don't Ask. [Surferdude] Won't Tell." The Military's new policy. (To add a bit of humour to this thread).

17. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

I can't believe that schools and towns (libraries) actually do this...ban books! WHAT THE FUCK? Freedom of Speech? The US can't make up its mind!

18. Connor22

wait "homosexual themes and sexually explicit material" what version are they reading? last I checked it was a true story about a little girl and her family defying the Nazis then getting killed eventually... can anyone spot anything sexual about that because I can't

19. Greggers

Ok. This is stupid.

Why is it stupid?

Because my uber Christian school put on this book via a play. That alone without reading the book or seeing the play tells me nothing too offensive or wrong or even non-pc is in it.

20. Possibly Maybe

:eek:

*lack of words*