1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama to Ask for End of Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mmilam75, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mmilam75

2. Adam

Didn't he already ask for this? And why can't he just do this himself.

3. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I highly doubt he'd ask for it to end. He has the authority and power to actually just end it himself without anyones approval if I remember correctly. Same with DOMA I believe. I actually approve of our President and seem to be in a very small minority.

Its' my opinion that so many people expect so much out of him and he's got a huge mess to clean up from the last presidency. And in order to keep his power and influence, he has to keep his congressmen and political monkeys happy. A lot of people don't seem to get this. I guess it could be better looked at this way: in order to get the wheels to turn you have to first grease them.

4. mmilam75

That's not correct. DOMA and DADT were enacted by Congress. The President cannot just unilaterally change the law. Congress has to change the law, but a specific Presidential request can go a long way towards motivating Congress to do just that.

In 1993, when Clinton tried to repeal the ban on gays in the military, Congress wrote Don't Ask, Don't Tell into the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Because it is now part of a statute enacted by Congress, Congress would have to officially overturn it.

Of course, Obama could end enforcement of it with a single Executive Order, but he won't do that. That being said, with their majorities in both houses of Congress, this ought to be a no-brainer. I'm waiting to see if the Democrats can, yet again, manage to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

#4 mmilam75, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! That was what I was referring to.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Same here. I mean the Democrats still have majority in Congress so if he asks them to end it they should so they can make themselves look good. That's usually what political parties are always looking to do. Of course it could go the complete other way and people could get pissed and vote Democrats out of the majority next election cycle if they actually succeed in ending it but who knows.

7. Gaetan

I imagine he will tonight reiterate that he wants it removed. The military subcommittee must agree to it before it can even reach congress to be repealed. Which, as I understand, the committee has already set aside funding and time to look at the issue this year.

Obama will not just issue an order to ignore a law enacted by congress because that would, excuse the language, create a political shitstorm on a spectacular level.

8. Brandford

In the United States the congress is like the mother and the president is like the father, and everyone knows a father never does anything without the mother's permission

9. Beachboi92

wait hold one..... Obama is doing something for us that he promised? Are you sure hes a politician or that we are even speaking of Obama?

But seriously this would be awesome. Still Obama gets me ticked as he promised many things that he fails to deliver, and has failed to deliver since the promised where made.

10. Sicsemper79

Obama is the commander and chief of the armed forces. If he wished to end the enforcement of DADT, he could do so.

More than 12,000 Americans have been FIRED from the US armed forces for being gay or lesbian since the founding of DADT. He claims to be a gay friendly president, yet he wont even say he is for gay marriage.

Now, I know there are a lot of liberal gays. I know it is counterintuitive to believe the Democrats are not any more gay friendly than the Republicans... but the proof is in the pudding. They are all talk... or as my liberal friends used to say "all hat and no cattle"

11. NickT

Well, he mentioned it >>; Got quite an applause

Anyone else detect a slight hint of bloodlust coming from the other side though? >>;; They didn't stand up and clap too many times (though admittedly the clapping got rather annoying rather fast)

12. Sicsemper79

I am more convinced now than ever that he won't do a damn thing for us.

13. Sylver

What did you hear in his speech that makes you say this?

14. EM68

I hope Obama and Congress do act. Its not only a human rights issue but its a security issue. We are fighting 2 wars now the military needs everyone available.

15. Sicsemper79

I heard virtually nothing in his speech that makes me believe otherwise. I heard him talk about private business owners being discriminatory without this SLIGHTEST SENSE OF IRONY. I then heard one sentence about gays in the military. It was a week ass call to congress to do something about it.

He should sign an executive order halting discharges immediately. He should come out in defense of gay marriage immediately. Instead, he will do a bunch of nothing, and talk about change. The man is a liar. He is not any more gay friendly than any president before him except Bush.

16. Emberstone

yas, gay marriage is more important than fixing the econamy *we are recovering, and the GDP has grown nearly each month, where as before he took office, it was getting worse each month*, slowing the loss of jobs, and working to regain jobs lost *agian, the statistics dont lie, we are losing less and less job the further we get into the administration*, and ending the war in iraq, and actually bothring to move forward on the war on terror *more action taken by obama in one year than the last four years under bush*.

marriage can wait... hate to say it, but it is true.

our time will come, and is coming.

17. Greggers

I was going to watch the speech...

Then i remembered, oh wait, this is a speech.

The word has literally become synonymous with "do nothing".

I got alot of people throwing around quotes he said on twitter and other various sites im on in the past hour. Not a single one of these quotes was anything special or new. "I vow to work with blah blah to end the horrible evil policy of DADT" in short. Hmm...sounds familiar dosnt it? It should. He said the same thing in 2008 when he was running for President. Then the same thing when he became President. Then the same thing throughout his first year. And again the same thing when addressing the HRC. It never changes. No action. Always speech.

That said, i am confidant DADT will be ended. I just don't actually think anyone is going to go out of their way to try and make it happen sooner rather than later.

We all heard the "Oh its his first year! He has alot on his plate! Let him settle in! He can't tackle such precarious issues!". Well now his first year is over and (if im correct) they just lost the majority they needed to pass things relativity easy through congress. So why did we have to wait to get a law that the vast majority of the public in on board with already?

18. Gaetan

I'm sure he will repeal DADT. Beyond that, he hasn't promised anything.

19. Sicsemper79

I don't support his outlook on the economy. I believe his plan for the economy is making the recession worse. The only thing I support about this guy is his supposed social agenda... he is throwing that under the bus in the name of taxing achievers. Now I have nothing to support him for... and I am not alone.

----------

No he wont, and yes he did.

20. ultrabluecheese

Personally, I don't care to whom the 'mess' belongs. The mess is his to deal with now. The President ran on a campaign promise of righting the wrongs of the Bush administration because he had the political aptitude to do so. What has been accomplished after his first year? Exactly nothing. Although, I will give him the passage of the Lilly Ledbetter Act even though it was a shell of a bill with no content.

And let's be realistic here. We aren't expecting the President to unite the world under a banner of peace and harmony and miraculously curing the world of its ills. We're expecting him to fulfill his campaign promises, which haven't been even touched during his first year. What happened to closing Guantanamo Bay? How about ending the war? Fixing the economy? Nothing. I don't believe for a second that he will repeal DADT or DOMA. Where is his track record in regards to the LGBT community? He has none, and let's not forget about the Gavin Newsom fiasco here.

The SOTU Address was nothing more than a broken record of his goals and what he wants to accomplish. But maybe--just maybe--he'll repeal DADT, DOMA, or both! But I won't be holding my breath.

#20 ultrabluecheese, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010