1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was happy/excited to be gay - is that odd?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Jan 23, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

When I was first trying to figure everything out it was scary as hell. I was petrified. But now I see it as sort of a blessing or gift, becasuse it enables me to see the world from an entirely different perspective, question things I wouldn't otherwise question and meet friends I would never have met otherwise.

2. Prccgeek

I know exactly what you feel like. I too am always worried that I will wake up someday and realize that I just wanted to be gay and am actually straight. Ever since I knew what the word gay meant I felt like I wanted to be gay. ( probably b/c I knew deep down that I was) But I thought liked guys so in my mind that wasn't an option. then I realized that hey, I can like girls and guys. But honestly, the hardest part about figuring out my sexuality and coming out was not a pull to be straight, but just trying to figure out exactly what I was on the gay bi spectrum of things.

3. zoeee

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes .... i have sometimes felt like that and still sometimes do...and living in a very liberal and accepting family actually makes it harder for me to come out, even if that sounds really weird, cos im scared that they might not even see it as something worth stressing about/talking about and just be like whateveeer..and i dont know, that makes me feel really...unimportant somehow?! is that weird?

4. haelmarie

The dwelling on it is exactly the way I felt about a year ago from now. I remember sitting in my bed, watching Youtube videos of people like Michael Buckley and just thinking how nice it would be if I was gay and I could be free to act like that. At the time, I thought I was bisexual, and this feeling that I wanted to be gay is what kept me questioning it for so long.

So no, you're not alone :icon_wink

5. adam88

I was very glad when I finally figured it out, as it explained so many things about me. The only downside to being bi over being straight that I've found so far is that I occasionally get a slight urge to make out with guys I know and am close with, which can get a bit awkward for me to hold in as they're all straight, save one who's taken.

6. Mugwump

Nope, that makes perfect sense to me! I know how you feel :slight_smile:

7. Jard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I first realized I was gay I went through the whole panicky "everyone's going to hate me" thing. But then, after two days, I realized how stupid that sounded and my main thought was "big deal." Now, around 4 years later I consider it to be a blessing. I feel in the long run it's made me a better person and it's definitely given me a more open mind than most of the people down here in the bible belt.

8. Johnnieguy

I've made out with girls more times than I care to mention and never, ever, did it give as much pleasure as I get from just hugging another man..So I don't think the act of kissing is what gives us the rush.

As for Ireland..Is it just the major cities like Dublin, Galway, and Cork that are accepting, or is it the country as a whole? (PS, I loved the "Snead's hand" ad..brilliant)