Reality is in your head

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Andromeda, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am bored tonight.

So this is what I am thinking, nothing is real except what's in your mind.

The world you feel is through your senses, without them you have no concept of reality. So it's in your mind, it's not really in existence. It's all make believe.

Lady Gaga doesn't exist either, she's just a voice that goes along with videos you see on youtube.com. And if you meet her in person you are not meeting Lady Gaga, but a woman who resembles the woman you saw on the videos which makes you think it's Lady Gaga, and she calls herself that. Even if you touch her, hear her, smell her, see her it's all in your head, since if you lost it your senses then what is she? She's nothing, since you can't sense her.

#1 Andromeda, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. ArcusPuer

Ever heard of solipsism?
    This reminds me of that vaguely.

3. paco

paco Guest

imagine any physical sense while you're at it. since we can't get into other people's minds, we can't see what they see or smell what they smell or taste what they taste. so for instance, the color red to me could be green to someone else but we call it the same thing, because every word we use to describe a color is based around our own perception of it and we could never know what anyone else is seeing or tasting or smelling.

and this could be why we all have different preferences like favorite color, favorite food and smell etc.

4. ColdSnap

!!!!!
    I kinda agree, except I think reality is reality, but everything is perspective. How you react to or feel about an event is all in your head, reality is how you perceive events, and in that sense to a degree we all create our own subjective interpretations of what reality is.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think that was why everyone had different preferences as to favorite color etc. For now i think everyone's view is identical tho because I don't think for the same species the eyes would vary from individual to individual.

6. paco

paco Guest

just musing :slight_smile: i don't care either way, and for the record it would have nothing to do with your eyes being different, just the way your brain receives the images, which is bound to vary at least a little bit between every person, if no one has the same fingerprint, then there's no possible way our brains will have the same make-up, same hemispheres of course, but they're just far too complicated to be uniform.

7. x2x2x2x2y2

OMG lady gaga isnt real?!?!?! *Runs screaming and waving arms rapidly* =P

8. Emberstone

straight out of 'what the $^*#@$ do we know'...

If I would to kick you in the groin with a steel toed boot, would it all be in your head?

I love the notion that the world can be what you make of it, but I think there is no denying that there is something physical that is beyond your control.

It really then comes to the question of where do you choose to live; the physical, or the subtle?

9. No One

The universe was here long before we were here to sense it and it will most definitely still be here when we are gone.

10. Zac4

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together
    See how they run like pigs from a gun see how they fly , I'm crying
    Sitting on a cornflake Waiting for the van to come Corporation T-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday Man you've been a naughty boy you let your face grow long

idk that song jus came in my head after reading this... :grin:

wake n bake :grin:

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

But others can sense her too. And it seems there's some consensus as to what she looks like (if I posted a picture of her, almost everyone that knows her would recognize her). I think our perception of reality is determined by language. As soon as we give 'things' a name, we're giving them shape and structure.

I do still think there's a reality out there, though.

12. pirateninja

Do you know how you are real?

Check your hands. If you can count ten fingers, you're awake. If you have less or more then you're dreaming. Fun fact; in it's dreaming state, the brain can't give you the right amount of fingers. I've done that a few times and realised I was dreaming. :slight_smile:

13. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    This is true. Another good way to check is to hold your nose. If you can still breathe easily while you hold it, you're dreaming. If not, you're awake.

14. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

Lucid dreaming, I enjoy it when it happens, I just wouldn't mind being able to control it more. I think that's my problem, I need to let go, and lose control, because I'm losing my mind. I need to refer to the reefer shhhhhh.....

15. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is she "Lady Gaga" or another brunette?

[​IMG]

In her reality she had the image of Gaga, and then she created Lady Gaga out of her head. So her reality became a reality of everyone, but does she exist, or is she just a character based from the brunettes' head?

She created that reality of fame and fortune before it even existed, so if you think it and act on it, it could be a reality in the physical sense. But if she lost her senses, then she would lose her fame and fortune since without her senses she doesn't feel her fame and fortune even if she has it. So her the truth is really all in her head before and after, and in between.

You can be famous and rich if you believe in it, but the hard thing is making everyone believe in your reality.

**i am writing a bunch of mumbo jumbo too

#15 Andromeda, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  16. Zach

I thought for sure someone would have posted this little excerpt from the RHPS .....
    "Life is an Illusion ... and reality is merely a figment of the imagination"

(RHPS= Rocky Horror Picture Show):icon_wink

17. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Rene Descartes FTW if anyone wants further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Descartes

I don't like him. He gets credit for things I've thought about/theorized at the age of 10, and I'm sure many have as well(at various ages too).

18. 71390S

71390S Guest

You only think reality is in your head because you have en evolved cerebral cortex which gives you "higher thinking" or "reasoning" skills/what makes humans seemingly different from other species, and thus the ability to philosophize and come up with "abstract" ideas and concepts such as creating your own reality. Get ride of that evolved cortex and you're just another mammal living in reality.

oh, i am just playing with you.

19. Ben

Ben

Haha yeah. I agree.
    A lot of the philosophers like Descartes take credit for things that a lot of people can blatantly see anyway from an early age. I guess they wrote it down first, though, which gives them the recognition.

20. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Not only wrote it down, but actually wrote it down in a fixed and organized fashion that shows a logical way of knowing the reality. I think though, that Descartes does have a slight setback to him, considering in his mind he proved the existence of a divine and benevolent god.