1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia Survey

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jazzrawr, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jazzrawr

Hey guys, I'm doing an independent study for Anthro class on homophobia, and we have to do our own research.
    It'd really help me out if you guys could fill out this little survey - it's only 8 questions, and the answers should be pretty short and straightforward.

Thanks guys! :grin:

1. Do you consider the area you live in to be homophobic?
    2. Have you ever been a target of discrimination because of your sexuality?
    3. Do you feel the country you live in to be positive about gay and lesbian rights?
    4. How many people do you know of in your area that are openly gay or lesbian?
    5. Who do you think are a more homophobic group – Teenagers, or adults?
    6. Is same-sex marriage legal where you live?
    7. Do you think the legality of same-sex marriage affects the level of homophobia in your area?
    8. What do you think needs to happen in your society to combat homophobia?

:grin:

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. Melbourne is a fairly progressive city, and while there are very rough areas, on the whole I think it's pretty good.

It depends on how you define discrimination, but I would say no, not exactly.

3. Do you feel the country you live in to be positive about gay and lesbian rights?
    Australia seems to be a fair way behind some other countries, but it could be a lot worse too.

I work with gay and lesbian youth, so a lot xD Every holidays the group I volunteer for runs a dance party for queer youth, and a few hundred people from around the state generally show up.

As a generalisation, more of the adults I see are homophobic than teenagers, but it definitely varies. The teenagers I know tend to be a bit more liberal; however, a lot of the adults I know have had time to mellow out on the whole issue.

No.

7. Do you think the legality of same-sex marriage affects the level of homophobia in your area?
    I really don't know how different it would be if same-sex marriage was legal, to be honest.

I think there needs to be more education. Homosexuality shouldn't go unaddressed - when kids start learning about relationships, or start sex ed at school, something about sexuality should be brought up, with an emphasis on how it's not a choice, and about how gay people are just people and not out to cause harm, convert people or spread any kind of 'agenda'.

3. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Yes
    Not discrimination but I have been treated badly becasue of it
    Not really
    1 - Me! and that's only open to a certain extent.
    Both but they express it in different ways. Adults -it's disgusting and perverted and you have to change and can becasue it's a choice. Teenagers - It's funny and they make jokes about it and use it as an insult becasue they think it's gross.
    No only civil union
    Yes I think it does at lease if same sex marriage was equal the fact that gay people actually exist in normal loving relationships would be more out in the open.
    Somehow people need to realise that it's not weird or disgusting or a choice but I don't know how this can happen since it's individual parents opinions which are passed on to their children which are passed on to their children and on and on...... but I don't know how this could be targeted as a whole.

4. Aoifeee

1. Do you consider the area you live in to be homophobic? Most people are stuck in the old ages here, I would say 90% are homophobic..
    2. Have you ever been a target of discrimination because of your sexuality? No
    3. Do you feel the country you live in to be positive about gay and lesbian rights? No
    4. How many people do you know of in your area that are openly gay or lesbian? 20?
    5. Who do you think are a more homophobic group – Teenagers, or adults? Teenagers...adults seem to have better things to think or talk about!
    6. Is same-sex marriage legal where you live? Not yet
    7. Do you think the legality of same-sex marriage affects the level of homophobia in your area? I think legalising it would cause uproar as there are extremely religous people :/
    8. What do you think needs to happen in your society to combat homophobia? For people to respect one another and grow more tolerance

5. littledinosaurs

1. Do you consider the area you live in to be homophobic? Not at all.
    2. Have you ever been a target of discrimination because of your sexuality? Never.
    3. Do you feel the country you live in to be positive about gay and lesbian rights? Not really, but it is slowly working it's way to being better about it (with a few big hicups)
    4. How many people do you know of in your area that are openly gay or lesbian? Over 20 at leasts, there are way too many to count.
    5. Who do you think are a more homophobic group – Teenagers, or adults? Adults.
    6. Is same-sex marriage legal where you live? First place in my country where it is! :slight_smile:
    7. Do you think the legality of same-sex marriage affects the level of homophobia in your area? Yes, but at the same time I think it's a reflection of my state being very liberal on a whole.
    8. What do you think needs to happen in your society to combat homophobia? The repeal of discriminating laws and more education about LGBT topics in schools.

6. Darkwing65

Like most places, Albuquerque is not without its bigots and such, but i feel its a fairly open minded place with a wide a-ray of people. I would not call it a homophobic place.

No, but I'm in the closet and fairly strait acting (what ever that means).

Yes, the United States has an open and healthy discussion on LGBT rights. Although we have a long way to go, discussion in the public forum is the First and Best way to change.

ABQ is a big city and quite a few people are open about their sexuality. I know personally about a hand full, maybe more.

Adults. Teenagers these day seem to be "color blind", to borrow a term used in the last presidential election. Adolescents are more open to things which are different and not yet so set in their ways.

No. Although New Mexico has had legislation go before the Legislature on Civil unions and strong support for it.

Possibly. Same-sex marriage is an issue that agitates both ends of the line, for and opposed. Those who are opposed seem to be homophobic and propagate homophobic rhetoric. Whether this increases the level of homophobia, I'm not sure. If anything it mobilizes those who were already homophobic.

It is my opinion that Education is the key; not just for homophobia but most of society's problems, but that's another rant for another day. Education leads to greater understanding. It helps squash those horrible untrue stereo types. Once people have a better understanding of the LGBT community, they will realize that we are all just people struggling for survival like everyone else.

7. MissNomer

MissNomer Guest

Yes..ish

Not really...it's more the "heterosexism" that's out there. The assumptions. The "and will your boyfriend be joining you"s. Nothing directly negative...but then I've only been out for a month:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Officially, yes, very much. Actually...in some places it's awesome. In others it's not...awesome, but I still feel lucky to live here.

5...but I just moved here

I don't think you can generalize. Older generations are less familiar with it being acceptable. My grandmother believes homosexuals will literally spend eternity burning in hellfire. My parents make hurtful jokes, amongst themselves/peers...when in straight company, but would never intentionally, directly hurt or offend somebody who is gay. Teenagers are almost accidentally homophobic...homosexuality is more a part of their world, but it's also more of a 'threat' to the identities they're trying to form, and there's more pressure to find a niche and cling to it. Theyre more likely to be overtly offensive...whatever they feel on principle. In my opinion.

Yup XD Any ladies out there looking for a princess charming and some happily ever after lovin? :wink:

Somewhat. It's there to back you up, if it becomes a confrontation in a philosophical sense. "Your church may say THIS, but your church exists in my country where THAT is in fact the law. So suck it." ...or something slightly more articulate.

It needs to continue to be addressed, openly and actively. People need to keep being exposed to homosexuality and educated on matters of social justice. I think we're actually making decent efforts in some places. It just needs to be more consistent. Also. The more people who are out and proud, the better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The less foreign and strange it seems, the more people get used to being around others with alternate orientations, the more the gay community will be "mainstreamed" and seen as not an alternative community at all..

o.o

8. Nodnarb

Not really. Ames is a college-town, so the people here tend to be younger and more highly educated, making it a fairly progressive city. It's a million times better than where I grew up.

No.

Not really, but then again you have to take things into perspective. Compared to people in the Middle East we have things pretty good.

I have no idea. Quite a few.

Immature teenagers tend to be more expressive of their homophobia, while adults are usually more tactful. Still, I think teenagers as a whole are much more open-minded and accepting of gay people than adults.

Yes!:grin: Very proud to be an Iowan.

I think so. Right after the court ruling, there were a lot of people spouting off about how horrible they thought it was, and deploring the collapse of society. But, in the months since then, I think things have gotten better (then again, this could be because I moved to a less homophobic area...). I feel like it's gotten people to think a little bit more, and some people have realized "it's none of my business what other people do with their lives".

More education, and simply having straight people interact with gay people. The biggest reason that the younger generation is less homophobic is because they grew up seeing, knowing, and being friends with gay people.

9. RaeofLite

Not really. Conservative yes... (ie: glares when holding hands with someone of the same sex).

Yes. By a parent and been shouted rude things out of speeding cars.

Yes. Canada baby. :icon_bigg

In my city: 3 lesbians (including me, but the other ones I just talk to on fb usually), and a gay dude. And a few bisexuals (2 girls, 1 guy)
    In a nearby city I visit often: 5 (2 gays and 3 lesbians)

Older adults who don't understand.

6. Is same-sex marriage legal where you live? Yes. 4th country in the world to legalize same sex marriage I think.

7. Do you think the legality of same-sex marriage affects the level of homophobia in your area? No. I think the fact that more people aren't afraid of being openly gay/queer does affect the homophobia though. ie: using PDA and being honest with people and yourself because they can get to know you as a person and that you're not a scary scary queer. Grr. :slight_smile:

More openly gay people! ...come out come out whereever you are.. :icon_wink

#9 RaeofLite, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  10. Courtneyyy

Not my immediate area. I live in a liberal, hippie, college town. However, my state is rather homophobic, as Arizona did pass prop 102 (the equivalent of 8)

I'm not out.

Not yet, but it's getting there. I'm optimistic about that.

To be honest I don't know many people here. I know of one gay guy in my math class. However, my hometown, Phoenix, I know of probably 10.

Adults. They were raised in a different time. However, I do know many teens that are more homophobic than some adults. Oh, and I'm considering myself (age 21) and people my age as teenagers.

Nope.

I think the level of homophobia in my state affects the legality of same sex marriage.

Get rid of all the Mormons.
    Wait for the old people to die off.
    Ok, so I guess I don't have any legit answers for this one.

11. nomoresickness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yes, very very much so
    yes
    somewhat--I feel as if we have ups and downs and are definitely in the beginning stages of our civil rights fight
    a few
    adults, but there are many teens who are equally as homophobic due to lack of education
    no and probably won't be for a very long time
    I think other things influence it more than the law...I think for a state that can hardly tackle racism...homophobia isn't going away any time soon
    EDUCATION and a national movement

12. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. I can be pretty open about it, and nobody says anything discriminatory. I know there are bigots around here, but it's not bad.

Only from some douchey straight guys yelling "faggot!" when I walked across a parking lot. Pretty random. Other than that, nothing noteworthy.

Yes and no. Yes in that people are more accepting, no in that we still have to deal with the "homosexuality is a sin against god" crap.

A few, but I haven't counted.

I'd say they're both equally homophobic in many ways.

No. :frowning2:

Possibly. I think if gay marriage were legal, homophobia might decrease.

Education, and just being out and ourselves. If they know who we are, they're less likely to be homophobic. Easier said than done I know. Trust me, I'm scared to death to come out to my aunts and uncles, etc. But I think to help combat homophobia, I should do my part and be open with them. I'm working on it. :slight_smile:

13. AlmightyFluffy

Definitely not as bad as other places, but it can be a little tense.
    No. Though I have been shunned by a few class mates for periods of time.
    It's not that bad here. But there's always room for improvement.
    I know about 6 or seven people
    Teenagers.
    No
    Probably
    Maybe allowing schools to actually teach about it in health class so everyone understands it on a fair level?

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Do you consider the area you live in to be homophobic? Sydney? no. Cronulla? Yes.
    2. Have you ever been a target of discrimination because of your sexuality? No.
    3. Do you feel the country you live in to be positive about gay and lesbian rights?Yes... Certainly not backward, but not as progressive as i'd like.
    4. How many people do you know of in your area that are openly gay or lesbian?Uhm.... Quite a few. At least a couple dozen.
    5. Who do you think are a more homophobic group – Teenagers, or adults?Teenagers
    6. Is same-sex marriage legal where you live?No
    7. Do you think the legality of same-sex marriage affects the level of homophobia in your area?Yes
    8. What do you think needs to happen in your society to combat homophobia?Really? just more time. It will happen, it's inevitable.

15. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I would say it is split 50/50 between people who are homophobic and people who don't care.

Yes

Moving in the right direction.

Where I live, I would say it's probably about the same. Overall though, I would say adults.

Haha. No.

No.

Let society see examples of homosexual couples so that they can see that there is nothing wrong with it.

16. adam88

OOh fun, a survey!

Not really. Some people, yes, but it really runs the gamut.

Haven't been out that long, so no.

Yes, or at least getting there.

Quite a few.

Teenagers have an excuse - inexperience. Adults who haven't grown out of it have no excuse.

Yes, I think.

Not really, I think it's the other way around - low homophobia is followed by gay marriage.

Nothing. I think the way society is going it will happen sooner or later.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

No. (Essex County in Massachusetts)

No.

For the most part, no.

About 6

Adults

Yes

Maybe

The homophobes need to die out. I don't think there is much else that can be done to change it significantly.

18. NickT

Sorta. It's pretty homo-friendly compared to other Kentucky cities, but there is still a general distaste towards gays.

Socially, maybe 2-3 times. There are gay jokes here and there, but I mostly ignore them. I haven't been outright discriminated publicly though.

Eh...difficult to say. America tends to be rather slow when it comes to equal rights.

Maybe...6 or more?

Teens are homophobic in the same manner that they feel about anything. They're still growing up and sometimes they forget they're not in some preschool playground. Adults, however, are supposed to be "mature." Still, you don't hear about many adults committing violent hate crimes; it's mostly the teenagers.

No

It's not, but I'm hoping that it would if it was.

Education on being more open-minded and respectful and empathetic, and about homosexuality in general. Kentucky may be at the "end" of the Bible Belt but it's still somewhat rooted in archaic religious teachings.

19. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Rarely
    nopes
    It could be worse but it could be a lot better
    teenagers, at least they voice it more often
    no, just lost the vote in senate :frowning2:
    I don't see how it would
    Better education as children that homosexuality is okay. Also they should censor the television of fox news :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Don't really know as I'm not out fully to the general public.

No. But just general gay jokes passed about at my LGBT group meetings too each other is jest. :grin:

Yes and no. I think there is more areas to be improved on and others are fine.

About 5 give or take. :grin: Although they don't really care. =/

Mostly Adults but then there is the odd homophobic teen.

Civil Partnerships.

Nope.

You can't combat it. Its someone's own opinion which you can't change. Sadly.