1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shevanel, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Darkwing65

2. Cracked Actor

My favorite album is definitely Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Syd Barrett's lyrics are really.. interesting + I love trippy music. But there's The Wall, which is some of the best work I have ever listened to. And The Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here also have some of Pink Floyd's best material.

Also, Syd Barrett and Roger Waters are two of my favorite musicians of all time.

If you're too lazy to read all of that, just know that I love Pink Floyd.

3. shimmersky

I have been listening to The Wall album nonstop, on repeat, for almost three days now.

4. starfish

I am a big Pink Floyd fan.

My favorite album is Meddle. To me listening to the album is like being able to witness the universe a few hundred thousand years after the big bang. Yes it was here before, but this is where it starts to form into what we know today.

Dark side of the moon is great, but I can't call it a favorite. I love to sit there is listen to the whole album. I mean it really is a great album. The thing is it has the exact same problem as my BMW. All of the posers who want to be cool, say OMG it is the best album ever, and have the poster or the t-shirt. Yet they only like it because of the image it presents.

An honorable mention goes to Division Bell. While not as great as some of their previous works, the lyrics really speak to me. Lost for Words and Coming Back to Life are my favorites from the album. They really describe a large part of my life.

5. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ((:slight_smile:

I agree dark side of the moon = masterpiece. =D Didn't listen too much over albums atm so can't give opinion)

6. satchel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    shimmersky, i hope what you said is true. for your sake.

"The Wall" is one of the best movies of all time. Vagina flowers will eat you.

I can say nothing more about Dark Side that has not already been said. If anyone has heard Bright Eyes's "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn" there are some cool references to the best trip-album ever, though.

Oh!

Has anyone ever done the Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon trip???? It matches!

7. kettleoffish

[​IMG]

I have this bad boy, it came with my copy of DSotM.

8. SlickyPants

The Division Bell album is one of my favourite albums and if I had to rank it it would be just behind Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and Wish You Were Here. There were so many great tracks like High Hopes, Marooned, Coming Back To Life, A Great Day For Freedom and pretty much the rest of the album. I haven't listened to Meddle in its entirety in a long time so I'll have to give it a listen some time. Animals rocks too.

9. SlickyPants

I don't normally ressurect threads but I felt that I had to post this.

I just got back from Minneapolis/St. Paul yesterday morning where I saw Roger Waters performing The Wall in its entirety. Wow, what a mind-blowing concert. The theatrics, the music, the visuals were all stunning. I was also sitting in Row 6 on the floor so I had a great view. I could see the whiskers on his face it was that close.

[​IMG]

I only wish they had came to Winnipeg. For some reason they did three shows in Toronto but didn't come here (he did for the Dark Side tour)... Oh well, it was a fun roadtrip.

The other singer that sang David Gilmours parts messed up slightly in Hey You but unless you knew the lyrics you wouldn't even notice because he just get singing. Other than that and a glitch with his microphone for a second or two it was a flawless show not to mention brilliant. If he decided to tack on a show here in Winnipeg I would definitely pay to go see it again.

I also like when in In the Flesh? when he sang the line "Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?", quite a number of people were waving their hands in the audience.

Did anybody else on this forum go to see the concert? If so let me know how you liked it.

P.S. The picture was from one of the shows in Toronto but it was one of the view decent quality that I found from a quick search. I kind of wish I had brought a camera because before the show started the announcer said picture taking was allowed as long as you turned the flash off.

10. Revolution 9

God I love Pink Floyd. I consider Meddle their best work. "Fearless" is such a blissfully serene song. But of course you have the 23 minute 27 second epic masterpiece which takes up the whole second side of the record, "Echoes". It's hard to describe how absolutely perfect "Echoes" is, so I'll just say I've had the best times of my entire life sitting in my room with a black light and lava lamp on, surrounded by my friends with "Echoes" on repeat and a head full of acid.

11. Shevanel

12. Blondie

Blondie Guest

big floyd fan here it hurt me when we lost syd barret will never forget him

13. RedKnight

Appreciates

14. Darkwing65

YES!

Meddle is a fracken great album!

This post, along with

this post, Got me in the mood to listen to Echoes. Which in turn led me to youtube, because my computer with my Pink Floyd Collection is being repaired, where i found this

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJ_QVfT_wM[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy.

15. MIJ VI

MIJ VI Guest

Priceless! :lol:

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2010 at 03:14 AM ----------

When I think electric guitar, I think Strat'. When I think Strat', I think David Gilmour.

16. adam88

Mmmm... Meddle. Picked it up on vinyl last summer. :slight_smile: Great purchase.

17. Synth177

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Animals is the greatest work of art that has ever been created.