1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone of another religion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Oct 25, 2009.

?

Would you date someone of another religion?

1. Yes, and I'd celebrate all of their holidays/commemorations along with mine.

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Yes, and I'd celebrate some of their holidays/commemorations along with mine.

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Yes, but I wouldn't celebrate their holidays/commemorations.

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. No

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You ain't alone. :slight_smile:

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did pick 'no', because it's the closest to my real answer. I wouldn't ever rule out dating a religious person. But i could never date someone for whom religion was an important part of life. So 'no' is probably the closest.

3. Rygirl

I would, religion does not matter to me, the first thing you are taught in Wicca is to tolerate everyone else around you, in spite of everything.

4. Ben

Ben

Yeah I have no problem with it. Possibly because I'm insanely weird when it comes to knowing what religion I follow.

I would definitely be tolerant with celebrating their holidays but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to do them. An example would be Ramadan. I'd only do that if my partner wants me to do it with him because it offers him some kind of support.

5. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Secret Title!!!

It's not that I dislike other religions, but that I get turned on by someone that is an Atheist. I find it really charming.

6. BasketCase

I selected option 3. I'm not religious so I don't see why I would celebrate someone else's religion.

7. Jim1454

Both my boyfriend and I are Christian - and we don't envision us both going to hell. Lumping all Christians into one pot isn't really appropriate. We come in many different flavours.

And having said that, we celebrate the same holidays, so no issue. However my bf is Catholic and I'm Presbyterian, so the practices aren't exactly the same.

8. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Yes I have dated someone of a different religion I'm Mormon *ducks from shotgun* and my ex girlfriend was Jewish I didn't celebrate her holidays but I have no problem doing so

#48 carrie90, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. Moron is a religion??? No wonder it's so widespread these days!

10. Étoile

:roflmao:

11. jotheoneandonly

ow, that really hurts

----------

if someone truly loved me and i loved them, no religion is going to get in the way of us

12. carrie90

Well some consider it just a religious following but it is an actual religion it's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

13. jotheoneandonly

i take it you actually mean mormon, my best friend was mormon, then she moved to massetusettes and i got a new one.

14. carrie90

Yes my spelling is shocking I've been driving for about 7 hours so I'll blame that hehe

15. Yeah, I knew what you meant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The opportunity was just too much to pass up.

16. carrie90

It's okay I wouldn't have passed it up either but I should get some sleep or something then my spelling and vocabulary is at an acceptable level

17. haelmarie

I'm trying to think of a way to put this that won't piss all of the Christians off.

A basic, basic tenet of Christian belief is the belief in afterlife. I think it's pretty safe to assume that the vast majority of Christians believe in a heaven and hell, or else why would they be Christian?

There are plenty of passages referring to the damnation of unbelievers in the Bible (I'm not going to go and read that thing again, but I seem to remember multiple references to "weeping and gnashing of teeth?") How could I possibly be vaguely interested in someone who believes that I am going to spend all of eternity in an eternal bonfire? I honestly cannot fathom feeling any attraction for anyone who thinks that I'm going to end up in hell. I don't care if you're only a Roman Catholic in name; a) you're lending your name to an institution that preaches my eternal damnation and b) make up your mind. I'm not interested in spineless wimps.

Of course, there's the ultra-left Christians who don't believe in heaven or hell, or don't believe that unbelievers are going to hell. If that makes you happy, go for it, but it's a bit of a turn-off.

If you're something like Unitarian (<3 Unitarians) or Wicca or something like that, I would be OK; but I really do not want to get involved with anybody who takes Christianity seriously.

18. Because Jesus was pretty much an awesome person?

19. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I disagree with both of you. The beliefs have very little to do with whether someone is Christian or not. I mean, if you just take a look at this forum, you can see tons of people who clearly disagree about being 'Christian' (either there is a hell or there isn't, Jesus was God or he wasn't, you must ask for forgiveness or by good deeds you will be made righteous, to name a few). If you can't agree on anything, one must assume that values play little part in the self-given title of Christian. It all depends on family and society (and a myriad of other social factors).

If you had been born in Egypt, you'd be saying that Mohammed was pretty much an awesome person. People who convert to other religions are generally the exception (and this can be sometimes due to morals) rather than the rule.

20. Okay, I'm not getting into a debate, but I'm sure that Mohammad was an awesome person too, and Confucius, and Siddhartha Gautama, and I'm guessing there were more, equally awesome religious/philosophical figures that I'm missing as well.

But I do agree that society and environment have a massive influence on a person's religion.