1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josie, the *adorble* transgender girl

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Miles D, Oct 19, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    A person has to be diagnosed with gender dysphoria before they are allowed to transition whether they are 7 or 77. In most of these cases with young kids the "evidence" that they are indeed transgender surfaces as early as 2 years old and it never goes away. What parent in their right mind would allow their child to transition if they weren't absolutely sure of this. Its a HUGE decision. I have watched several documentaries on this. Every older transgender person that I know would have wished for parents like these who believed them when they were a child that they were in the wrong body. The kids that transition look very natural and have no problems fitting into society verses grown adults who transition who sometimes look very unnatural.

2. LostLurker

I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of making that decision at such a young age, but I've never been through that.
    Also, I would find it strange if people like this didn't exist. There is such a wide spectrum of sex in humans, even if a particular culture doesn't recognize all, or any of them.

3. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree, but, as much as I know we all want to be who we want, and all want transgenders to be able to do this, there is no undo button for this type of thing. and at that age, you can't tell if it is something they want, or something that is a phase. just like a couple straight people go through a gay phase. I 100% agree that it was probably right in this case, but what next? how low will the age get? is this right morally and logically, considering the child themself may not yet know if they want to?

I'm not condemning it, but if this were an option for every 8 year old, what if they get it wrong? what then? :confused:

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh-oh, there goes a can of worms.

On one hand the earlier someone starts transitioning, generally the better, particularly if they start hormone treatment before / at puberty, as there's less sex specific changes to reverse. As well the sooner your biological sex matches your gender identity, the less stressful I'd image life would be.

On the other hand is the accuracy of of diagnosis. Yes there are plenty of transpeople that know from a young age, and there's plenty that don't figure it out until later. However there's also kids who may insist that they are the other gender when they are younger, and play mainly with the other sex, and grow up to be non-transgendered. So as long as the diagnosis is genuine, and no-one is being forced, I don't have a problem with it.

To get medical assistance to transition (hormones, surgery) you need to be diagnosed first. With Gender Identity Disorder. There is something wrong with you, your biological sex doesn't match your gender identity, which is why you're seeking treatment.

As opposed to homosexuality where there's nothing wrong, and there's no treatment necessary.

5. Miles D

Slight side-note:
    Although it is true that most transpeople are diagnosed with GID (gender identity disorder) some actively seek to not be diagnosed. I am one of those people that, for insurance reasons, has really avoided a "diagnosis". My whole family is worried that I'll be dropped form our insurance, and because I just changed plans and was required to disclose any known medical conditions... and without a diagnosis, who's to say I have GID? :icon_wink
    I understand that being transsexual usually denotes a person seeking medical procedures, and therefore a diagnosis of GID must be made so that the medical procedures are justified, but I am trying to never be formally diagnosed. I am me, and that person is male. No diseases or medical conditions involved.

I actually think that a full name/gender change legally is a bit much as such an early age. I am all for letting her live as female, take hormone blockers, etc, but I definitely think that the transition process is one that a child of that age can't fully grasp. Although I would have loved to live as male since birth, my transition has really shaped who I am as a person.

I would also be interested to see that if when Josie grows she can even identify with the trans community. I mean, will she ever remember living as male? I don't think anyone can say whether not having the transition experience later in life (even just five years later) is beneficial.

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now you're just playing with Semitics :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm sure there's many trans people around without a formal diagnoses for a variety of reasons: Don't feel medical assistance is necessary, risks associated with hormones / surgery, Insurance / cost, lack of access, etc.

Interesting question. As it is, a number of Trans people, after transitioning, distance themselves from the Trans community. Either because they feel that they are complete after transitioning, and feel nothing to be gained / in common. Or because within the GLBTQ community there's plenty of trans-phobia to go around.

Just like the Bi-phobia, Trans-phobia, and fem-phobia that exists within the GLBT community, I'm sure she'd be ostracized by some, for "Transitioning early"

Indeed, our experiences shape who we are, and each of our paths are unique.

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

This article was so awesome.

I completely agree with that statement.

8. JayTeeNY12

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard about her via tumblr (gotta love tumblr...hmm). I'm definitely happy for her and her parents are amazing (maybe they could adopt me? She needs an older brother, I'm sure!) I would have killed to be able to stop my puberty from happening, stop my body from developing in the way it did. She's very lucky and I hope when she's in her teen-angst years she remembers what her parents did for her when she was just a little girl. =]

9. Grof142007

-.- OFF TOPIC

did anyone read this title and think of

Josie and the pussy Cats???

10. LostLurker

That's pretty much what I think. It's strange how hard it is to get that concept across to a lot of people.

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thats the only Josie I know of

they should have a band call the Pussy Cats in real life

12. Emberstone

know this is slightly off topic, but I just saw a internet with Chaz bono, and until they said it was him, I had no idea who it was. He is indistinguishable from any guy you see on the street. I also liked that ET was useing the proper pronouns to refer to him.