1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

President Obama tells the story of PFLAG

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the sentiments against him are missing one of the most crucial point of politics: You often have to slide things in sideways, or in the back door, or as a quid-pro-quo for something else.

Obama is by far the most left-leaning president we've had in probably 40+ years. He never would have been elected if he'd come right out and said all of the things that he is in support of, so instead, he has had to carefully couch what he says and present it in ways that will gain support of the largest number of people.

What he has done differently than his Republican predecessors is to be more up front, and to speak with careful nuance, to allow him the "wiggle room" to be able to accomplish his goals. GW Bush simply lied his ass off continually, about everything, during the campaign. He campaigned as a moderate, compassionate conservative, and turned out to be a total right wing zealot driven by the religious loonies. Obama has been a lot more honest.

He can't give timelines because it's difficult to do so. I believe he really wants to accomplish the things he said (and remember, it's only been like 9 months) but he's got an awful lot of right-wing loonies, greedy Republicans, and bought-and-paid-for legislators of both parties who stand in the way of a lot of what he wants to do. So I think he deserves our patience and our support, and if given that, I think he will have the finesse and skill to accomplish much of his agenda.

2. ultrabluecheese

Although I'm fully aware that he needs more time to accomplish his agenda, I find it quite suspicious that he did not make any progress in regards to LGBT rights, despite his flaunting that he is a huge advocate. The Republican numbers in Congress can barely put up a formidable fight; 315 (247 H/58 S) seats are under the Democratic party, and 218 (178 H/40 S) seats belong to the Republican party. For a President that has the "most transparent administration," I expect him to give deadlines; otherwise, that is another unfulfilled commitment.

To be honest, I don't think he deserves our support instead of earning it. He has done little to gain my support because of his paper-thin resume, and that isn't exclusive to just LGBT rights. His positions on FISA, NAFTA, abortion, his connections with ACORN, his "work"--or lack thereof--in District 13 of Chicago, his flawed health care bill, his voting "present" in the Senate 70 or more times, his inexperience in international relations and 3 years in the Senate, and his handling of the war is frightening.

3. Pendrin2020

First, I'd like to apologize.

The things I said offensively in that post were a shitty reaction to old baggage on my part.

Here, we have men, like my father, that I like to call, "Arm Chair Republicans". Think about some overweight, middle-aged jerk who sits in his recliner, watches CNN and spends his time ranting about "How things SHOULD be done."

The moment I saw that you are from the UK, I judged the hell out of you and stuck you in that class. Again, I apologize completely, and hope that we can continue this discussion in a polite fashion (ahem.... no leopard print... unless you're Dee Snider).

I also failed to acknowledge that American policy does affect other countries. after all, it does get easier for one government to change policy when another government has already done it and has the results to show, doesn't it?

I do understand that it's not everything we want and it's not right now, but you have no idea how much it meant to me to at least see something other than condemnation. You may not believe in that man, but I do. And I'm willing to agree to disagree.

We cool?

4. Just Adam

yea were cool im sorry too im a deffensive asshole at times...

hopefully my pm made some sense to you haha

now back to obama bashing....nah just kidding ill wait till the next healine of we really will do somthing... :slight_smile:

.... or will i lol

5. DexterMorgan

My heart melted....lol

That bit about the kid staying awake thinking about his secret reminds me of how I was before I came out.

6. Pendrin2020

Me too. LOLZ

7. s5m1

Me too. That line really hit home for me. I was that kid for several decades. I think that is one of the reasons I have been so moved by this weekend - I want to work for our rights so that kids in the future won't have to endure that pain.

8. :eusa_clap

Took the words right out of my mouth. No gay person should have to go through that.

9. Emberstone

Why isnt anyone getting irate at congress for, while obama works with military officals on how to best repeal DADT, that they get the ball rolling on their own bills to repeal it.

The president actually has limited power, and requires the congress to act to create or repeal laws...

10. Gaetan

My guess is that the military subcommittee wont even get the ball rolling on a bill until the Pentagon gives it the go ahead that it would be okay.

11. DexterMorgan

You can become an operator for the Trevor Project!

12. Ooh, that's a good idea. I'm gonna look into that. Thanks, PearlJam. (*hug*)

13. DexterMorgan

You're welcome :grin: