Teachers who react to homophobia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CrystalCat, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Gaetan

So do I! I've been considering teaching if my current plans don't pan out.

2. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

my chemistry teacherr does sometimes but its not very forceful and more just a "could you think of a better word for that" so no one really listens but i guess I appreciate the effort
    and my english teacher last year gave a couple of kids lines for calling each other homo.

3. matty123

at my school taking the piss by making gay jokes is just normality, i don't think i've ever seen a teacher give a damn about someone saying something is gay, and gay ppl only ever came up once in sex ed, and that was just looking at couples and love etc. So not the best school ever but not that bad either, one of my best friends moved to Wales and at his school its normal for ppl to use words like fag, faggot, queer etc, as before he went there he never said things like that, but now he says things like that all the time, even though i've explained why he shouldn't, maybe he would understand if he knew i was gay lol.

4. CrystalCat

UPDATE : So after feeling so proud and happy that my teacher was standing up for the LGBT community, i failed to do the same. Now in my AP English class we're reading Macbeth, and we were talking about how lady macbeth was defying common gender stereotypes by being quite strong and forceful. and this kid next to me the whispers "the fucking dyke should burn in hell" now he's new and used to live in what he calls a small part of arizona and was brought up in a "traditional" household whatever the fuck that means. But i just sat there and let him say it, didn't interrupt, i just let it happen. And now i wish i had as much courage as my history teacher.

5. rainemc

i know exactly what you mean. I wish I had that courage. There are these kids in my science class (were divided into tables of four) there all guys and they all use words like gay and fag but they use it without realizing that they're being homophobic if that makes sense. I guess they're indifferent to gays but they still use those slurs. it pisses me off every day. I never talk to them so i don't wanna but in and seem like a creep. maybe i'll talk one day...i have the rest of the year :slight_smile:.

In My school it's rare to use those phrases...only the douchey "popular" guys use it and they use it rarely. Teachers never hear so i don't know what theyre reaction would be. actually this one kid said some guy on the GIANTS football team "too it up the butt" and he got a detention from my straight french teacher. I'm glad she did that...though it may have been because she was a GIANTS fan lol.

6. Not completely unrelated, but somewhat. I feel like some people just say stuff like that for the shock factor. I would hope there aren't many people who are really that unintelligent. For example, this one kid in my grade says stuff all the time. In bio once this year, out of nowhere, he told someone that their shirt made them look like a faggot. The teacher didn't hear. And once last year in world cultures, he said that everyone with AIDS should be put on an island and the island blown up. I had just found out that one of my uncles had AIDS, so it really upset me especially when the teacher didn't do anything. I really think he does it for attention and to see how people will react.

7. Étoile

The only time a teacher has ever commented on someone saying a gay slur is in Biology in 9th Grade. A guy said a book was 'gay' and my straight male military (!) Biology teacher gave him a realy annoyed look and said, "An inanimate object can't have a sexual orientation." The guy laughed. :dry: Every other teacher acted as if nothing was wrong. When some guys started teasing a gay guy in my class, my computer teacher said nothing, even after she had all told us the other day that no name-calling would be tolerable and that we're "all brothers and sisters in here." :rolleyes:

8. cara17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yea the teachers at my school always yell and get angry at students who use terms or phrases that may be considered offensive out of context.

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think people who believe the term "[object/thing] is gay" is offensive need to pull out whatever they've got shoved so far in their ass it makes their mind warp.
    What that teacher did to me seems overly cautious. That'd just make a class aukward in my opinion.

10. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    one of our teachers was miss brown now i didnt study with her but she was black and if any one said something racist / phobic or any type of thing they would leave school a week later .

she was awesume she went around honking a huge horn on sports day

11. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

I wish I was that lucky, I mean I've began to think that all my teachers can't hear anything besides what their talking about. Of course unless it makes it hard for them to teach, but other then that they don't say a thing about any of it.

12. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

while reading A Raisin In The Sun, walter says something about faggoty looking shoes. my english teacher interjects that she hates the word faggot. i dont know if shes gay, but she runs the schools GSA along with one of the spanish teachers. then again, no one in my class had laughed or made any comments. my schools pretty liberal.
    however.....

i find it interesting, because if anyone said "thats so black" or "thats so ghetto" they would immediately be sent to the deans office, IF they were not black themselves. My school is quite diverse in that its mostly black and white, with some hispanic/south american/asian/other ethnicities thrown in. Black kids constantly say things like nigger to each other and the teachers ignore it. however, if any other ethnicity said it, they'd be in trouble. a few years back (maybe 2 or 3) we had a huge protest (for a few reasons) mainly as a way to get the old principal ejected for racial slurs she had said to students. she had tenure, so shes still being paid, but we have a new acting principal, who seems pretty great.
    but again while you dont hear "thats so gay" so much, because we have a nice LGBTQ population at school (alfred kinsey went there!!) we still get it occasionally in the halls

13. haelmarie

Ha!

My religion teacher has previously espoused his endorsement of the idea that all homosexuals should be banned to a desert island, I shit you not.

14. chaostheory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is this teacher at my school who teaches (redundant, yes) Sociology. I was sitting in A.P. U.S. History class last year, when all of a sudden I heard her yell, "Get that fag out of here!" I stopped reading for a moment to try and fully process what I had heard. It's funny, the year before she had wanted me to be in her class, as I expressed in an interest in her class. I am so glad I never signed up for it.

15. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooh my god this thread completely just reminded me of a kick ass incident in highschool! Some idiots that hated me kept teasing me as they often did and one of them kept saying 'oh do you fancy him?' repeatedly about the guy next to me. I kept having to say no over and over again so eventually the girl asked if I was a lesbian. I said yes so the guy freaked out and ran to the other side of the room. The conversation afterwards went a little something like this.
    Teacher: What on earth was that in aid of?!
    Guy: We just asked if she was a lesbian and she said yes!
    Teacher: So?
    Guy: It freaked me out!
    Teacher: Weeell you know what they say about homophobes *winks at me*
    At that point the whole class started applauding and laughing at him it was great. I had a load of hot women all over my homework planner aswell so she comes up to me and goes 'I take it you fancy her then?' 'Hell yeah!' 'Well I don't go that way but she is gorgeous, well done you!' 'Thanks for that!' 'Anytime!'
    Haha my old science teacher kicked ass!, she was cute too hehe x

16. RaeofLite

I have amazing Sociology and Criminology Professors.

The sociology professor was touching on homosexuality and other variations from the majority norm in society (since our textbooks look at it), and she said: "What if deep down inside you, you felt and knew that you were attracted to teh same sex? Even though society still doesn't accept it, it's very shameful and hard to come to terms with that for so many people. Be respectful." The class was silent, and by the end of that speech I had a small grin. :grin:

In Crim, my prof told our class we shouldn't be against gay marriage because, if two people love each other, what business is it of ours what they do in private? Shouldn't they deserve happiness?

Aaah I love how happy things like that make me. Especially if I'm having a crappy day.

17. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    My AP Language teacher is awesome about it. My friend, who's bisexual and in the same class period with her as I am, brought in two of these posters and my teacher didn't hesitate to put them up. She always corrects people if they use homophobic language, and when I came out on Facebook through a note, she posted this really nice, supportive reply. She's such an awesome teacher. :grin:

18. sexyalex

lOl,
    my school Headmaster, taught us Philosophy and Psychology. He is defensive about anyone who objects to homosexuality its so obvious....:lol:
    So obvious if your that blind, you could trip and fall.

Whenever the topic is raised, he talks about "I only intend to graduate students of the highest stature, and great minds. When my students go to Canada (where we are going for class trip) they must turn their head and walk away if they dont like it!"

He is always talking about it in class and stressing how much the Jamaican society needs to be more liberal. PLUS its, psychology class...he is gonna use every psychological advantage he can to make even the hetrosexual students wanna be gay (figuratively) :lol: .
    He is a very chill guy.

Nonetheless, I have seen him expell students who throw homophobic comments as simple as just gesturing a "gun" at a person and then saying the word "Faggot, Fish, Battyboy". So I feel safe in my college than my high school. lol

Good thing I go to a private college. My high school was a private institution as well, but it was a catholic school. Those rich bastards got away with almost everything. My present school has no religous affiliations :grin:

19. RaeofLite

Ha, that's awesome sexyalex. Philosophy/psychology profs generally are pretty neat.

20. sexyalex

IKR?!

Student: Sir, homosexuality is wrong! The bible said so!

Dr. C: Who wrote the bible? What is "The Bible"? Who exactly dictates that it is wrong?

and the class gets in a frenzi. xD lmao I loved those classes. So much questions, so little answers. Just the way I like it.