1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay neighborhoods?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by notquitebutch, Sep 18, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Kind of a weird question.

I was walking home from school today, and I'm living with my Aunt riht now in a really, really cute little neighborhood. I started thinking, I want to live somewhere like this when I'm older, but I'd want most of the other people to be gay, too :'D I mean, think about it. We'd all be comfortable, and raising kids would be better since they'd grow up open minded, and could talk to each other about having gay parents/stick together if people at school are mean to them about it. I don't know, little things like that sound nice. Oh, and we could have neighborhood prides. Lol

Are there little gay neighborhoods/developments? If not, who wants to make one with me when we get older? :'D

2. Greggers

Well, most large cities (think state capitals and such) have a "Gay district".

In Vancouver its the "Gay Village" aka Davie Street. Its basically the "gaybourhood" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You will find that in many cities. Some are just one street, some are entire sections of town. Its not exactly going to be the same as a suburb or anything, but its were gay people do just what you mentioned.

Ive heard of gay areas in suburbs too, but thats generally a hard thing to pull off. You will find gay friendly areas, but pure gay areas? I dunno.

3. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Supposedly Minnesota has one, about 20 minutes for where I live, in Minneapolis there's an area called Loring Park that I guess a majority of it is gay, although that's most likely due to the fact they hold a GLBT pride parade there each June. Meanwhile across town in St. Paul there's supposed to be a Lesbian neighborhood, although I've never been.

so yea
    that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Shevanel

Don't like this idea of a "pure gay neighborhood" . Artsy Villages occur in tons of places (The Village in Manhattan, duh =P) that have a significant LGBT population. But still... I'd feel like living in a completely gay neighborhood is like... self-segregation? i dunno...

5. In our cul-de-sac we have two gay men, my lesbian parents, and another family with two moms and about six kids. I love it! Now I just have to get to know them :/

6. Miles D

in San Diego the gay district is Hillcrest. it's amazing :grin:
    that's where my trannie youth group is, which meets in the Hillcrest Youth Center (=LGBT youth center.) it's a super cute little neighborhood right near downtown, and it's just really great. I'd love to live there (except not, I'm not really a fan of San Diego.)

7. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the gay part of town in chicago is called boys-town, its near wriggly field (baseball stadium, home of the chicago cubs)

8. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's next? All gay people to Mars? Why stop at neighborhoods?! Let's take a whole damn planet!

Seriously though, I understand some neighborhoods can have a higher concentration of Gay people than straight, but let's not talk about seperating ourselves in our own little "Biodomes"

We're already seperated from the rest of humanity as it is.

9. mattypants

weho here. the city inside la... VERY gay :grin:
    though to move there... they have rent control problems... so its a bit expensive

10. Mickey

I live in Mass. and we have a whole small town,that's OURS! For those who don't know,it's called Provincetown and it's right on the tip of Cape Cod! I love it there! I didn't get to go this year,but I really want to go there next summer. It's such a beautiful place.

11. Gaydar

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, in Chicago we've got Boystown (usually I see it as word). Chicago is weird in the sense that it has legal districts (called 'Community Areas') and de facto districts (neighborhoods). Nobody ever refers to the legal district name, though, unless it's the same as as the Community Area name. Boystown is pretty small (only about 6 or 7 blocks going down a single street) compared to the city, but it's definitely concentrated (complete with a Gay-mart and everything).

It is always on the move, though. What happens is this: Boystown is north of the city's center, which is extremely expensive. But as the expensive areas creep north, so does Boystown. Before Boystown, which marked by rainbow pillars on the main street (N. Halsted) it was in Old Town (official Community Area: Lincoln Park).

Probably more than you needed to know, but I thought I'd include it anyway.

12. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't know if there are any gay neighborhoods in the Las Vegas area. I know it's definitely not the area that I live in. :lol: Maybe closer to the university or something. I think living in a gay neighborhood would be cool, but I'd also like some diversity as well.

13. Jekko

San Francisco, and West Hollywood (but alot of crimes happen der)

i have gay elderly neighboors btw

14. mattypants

the city in general? i thought thats what the castro was for??

cant exactly miss that huge flag on market :grin:

15. noez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hallo!! i'm from Indonesia. and i want to know you more

16. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to raise my family in a gay-friendly area, in fact one of my ideal dreams is to have a nice LGBT couple next door to my family so our kids can hang out together. I don't know if I'd like to be fully isolated in an all gay neighborhood though.

17. Mana

I want to live in West Lahunga Beach.

I currently live in a very small village, which doesn't have a shop, but does have a primary school, a practically empty pub and a golf course. Once in the pub I'm pretty sure I saw a teacher from my old school with her girlfriend. Or so my mum reckons. As there had been rumours. Or something. But anyway...

18. Mr Bojangles

I'd rather live down amongst the have-not's (poor artists/students, drug addicts, hobos etc) than in a solely gay community. I'd hate that, as I pride myself on being unusual :slight_smile:

19. Amy

Amy

It's mainly just the Castro. There's Haight-Ashbury (or The Haight) which is the hippie area, so there are a lot of gays around there. And the Inner Mission has a lot of hipsters and artists...
    Some of the real Bay Area* is pretty chill, but once you start heading east, it's all over until... well, no where.

*Not Oakland. Or Richmond.