1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel like getting into a relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Jul 25, 2009.

1. 71390S

71390S Guest

Yeah, sometimes I feel like that. Mostly because I feel like most of my friends are socially ahead of me when it comes to romance stuff. They've flirted with the opposite sex since puberty hit, and just coming out I feel like I can finally do that stuff they've been doing for years. Like, just to hold hands with a boy would be nice! But overall I am very content as single - I enjoy my own company :slight_smile:

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guys, I'm your straight equivalent; never had a boyfriend, never had a first kiss, never been in a relationship, not had a one night stand...

As much as I sometimes want some lovely boy to be there, he's just not materialised yet and I doubt he will until University, since I attend an all-girls school and I've never been invited to these weekend parties or anything, where most seem to be picking up the lads left, right and centre.

Thinking it through, it's probably best, like Enigma said, because succumbing to peer-pressure and what's persevered as normal probably isn't best as it's not a true relationship, just a way to fit in and have similar news and gossip to add to the morning chat or around your friendship groups. I don't think you should be forced or feel obligated for getting into a relationship, just because your friends are; there's a huge difference between physical age and mental age.

I know I'm not quite in the same boat as you, but I think it's best that you wait until s/he comes along, when your life isn't so complicated when we're going though the whole awkward teenager phase; do you really want to make your life more complex at the moment with a boy/girlfriend that's maybe not meant to be (like most first loves at our age), but you open up your heart and spill your whole emotions to them anyway, then pay the price with heart-break, confusion, depression when you're still developing emotionally?

And as for the for Mugwump, don't rush yourself to be in a relationship until you're fully happy with who you are, then you can be truly happy with your partner when she comes along, and she will! Never fear, love will find you eventually whether you like it or not (*hug*)

Yeah, long not-so-coherent post, but I think we can safely say being single is normal and you've got to take care of yourself. I've accepted that I'm very unlikely to get together with someone for a few more years yet, and to be honest, it's nice having all that time to yourself and your friends, rather than worrying if you said the right thing, did the right thing, spending too much/little talking/with/without your boy/girlfriend.

Cha, even as I type, I see 71390S already said really what I wanted to add but I'll post this anyway.

Just one last thing to add, and this comes from personal experience and watching my friends: you feel so much better if you make yourself happy doing things you want to do, to make yourself fulfilled, to go to bed at the end of the day thinking I achieved something! (even if it's only a really minor thing) rather than sit and wallow in the worry that you create in finding that part of your heart that's yet to be filled, but it's just too early for that to happen. Don't rush Fate, she'll get around to you when you're ready :slight_smile:

3. GhostDog

That's... me to a T, pretty much. I mean, I go around on campus, thinking to myself, "Laaaadies! ;D" but at the same time? I'd be terrified to ask or be asked out by anyone! That may just be a normal thing, no matter your orientation. But, yeah. I'm 21, never been kissed, only officially Dated once (with a guy, and it was so awkward, holy crap). And I'm more afraid of actually coming out to other queer girls than I am straight people, in case they'd (for some reason) go, "No, you're not! Go away!" Even though I have no idea who'd do that. (... Alright, well, actually more scared of coming out to straight girls my age, in case they go "Eeeuwww don't hit on me!")

And for some reason, despite years of trying to ignore feelings for women and failing, I get scared periodically that I'll go out with a girl and go, "Whoops, not queer! Sorry, everyone!" (Even though I imagine dating a girl and get so excited, go fig.) I guess that's something that won't go away until I actually just up and do it, though. For some reason, "I'm, like, 95% sure" isn't as good as, "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" in my head.

So, yeah. I know how that feels. =/

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like that, but more because I have no gay friends in real life at all and need a release badlyyyy lol.

5. nanoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YES. That's exactly how I feel sometimes when I see a gay couple. On the one hand, I feel a bit envious, but then I feel what I guess straight people feel when they see gay people together.