1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT rights in Europe

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Peter, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Peter

A map has recently been published showing the LGBT rights in different countries throughout Europe from Belgium(!) where total equality exists (I have a friend getting marrying his boyfriend in a Roman Catholic church there next year) to Northern Cyprus were homosexuality (between men) is illegal:***:. More details - including the full map - can be found at: "gayrights.change.org"

2. theworld

good to know...thanks for posting

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

hopefully more change will be coming. Russia to me is sickening on their lack of equality and Poland should know better.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay Belgium! Though I'll admit I'm predjudiced. And as all countries, this one still has no shortage of bigots, whatever the law says...
    I'm guessing this friend is getting married in an RC church, but not by the RC Church? Because even here, the church isn't all that hot on gay marriage.

I am a bit disappointed in how countries like France or Germany haven't followed suit and gotten to full equality yet. The UK isn't entirely there yet, but they're pretty far along.

5. Ben

Ben

All the UK needs now is gay marriage. :slight_smile:

6. James2612

I thought we had Gay Marriage in the UK???

7. Just Adam

uk is still well behind... but yay belgium :slight_smile: thats great

8. Ben

Ben

We have civil unions and all the rights of marriage, but it's not actually classed as marriage.

9. Just Adam

and what equality we have doesent seem to get enforced

10. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    nice to know :slight_smile:

11. James2612

So what is the difference between the 2? Is it just the title?

12. 71390S

71390S Guest

Seems like it. But if it really is *just* a title, why don't the straights get civil unioned and the gays married? The arguments used against my proposition are pretty much the same ones you hear against gay marriage in general - so, while it is wonderful to have rights :thumbsup:, I do hope that homophobia lessens enough for their to be no separate and unequal labels. It sends a message of "oh yeah, you can have rights, but you're not important enough to be married.

13. Alex19

we need gay marriage in all states here in the USA. not just 6...

14. Just Adam

well straight people can get civil partnership if they are not religious or jsut dont want to be married...

but in the uk civil partnership is similar to marriage but there are rights that go with marriage that you dont get...i dont know these off top of my head .... but if the state just did a staate marriage instead of this horrid title.

15. Apocalypte

And Ireland is still in the bloody dark ages... our new civil partnership bill doesn't go far enough, and there is still no legal recognition of trans people.

*sigh*

16. Peter

Probably the first difference between the two is the title "civil". This means that no religious context is allowed by law. The civil partnership may not be conducted in a building or location that has a religious connotation and not reference to anything vaguely religious is allowed. I have heard of one case in which one reading had to be removed from the ceremony because it included the sentence "I pray that you might have a long life together". It was finally accepted if changed to "I hope that" (one of the men involved was an ordained minister in the Church of England) So, it the religion accepts same-sex unions, they are legally not allowed to celebrate them.
    Also, a civil partnership is only allowed between partners of the same sex: you cannot have a civil partnership between a man and a woman. Imagine the reation if the government decided that black people or Jews were not allowed to get married, only have a ceremony with similar rights, but had to be held in a separate place, with a different title...
    Peter.

17. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    Northern Cyprus is dominated by Turkish-Islamic population. Alongside religious imposition, with the current level and pace of socio-economic development, the pathway to even gay equality seems gloomy.

18. ANightDude

What's up, Poland? Come on, they have been picked on so many times in history. Conquered, enslaved, attempted extermination, they know what it's like to be discrimination against.

My opinion, anyways...

19. Just Adam

i agree but i think same for us.

and anywhere really

we know the evils of the worlds and we still think we can live inequal..... humanity pathetic small race in ways...

20. Peter

Isn't it interesting how the formerly oppressed are the first to oppress... I would use some examples here, but they may be deemed as political and off-topic.