1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ArabMan, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ArabMan

It happened a couple of weeks ago, I was with a distant family member that I hadn't seen for ages. There is something about her, something positive which made me confide in her.

We were just talking about sexuality and I just told her that I'm attracted to man.

Her reaction was so positive, she was so supportive, mature and educated on the subject (unlike the rest of my family), which is probably the reason I told her in the first place. It was just natural, uncalculated, simple and relieving to know that I could tell her.

Then she left and I sort of blocked this episode out of my head, as if it never happened. I feel like talking to her, and I'm scared. She even called me once and I was cold with her although I deeply care for her.

I'm not sure why I'm reacting this way... Part of me is scared because my "dirty" secret is out. Part of me is proud. Part of me wishes it never happened.

I'm confused

2. EM68

Congrats on coming out. The first is the hardest. When I came out to my parents, I found it hard to talk to them for the first couple of weeks. My mom tried to ask me more about things and I tried to change the subject or tell her I was tired and ended the call. Over time it does get easier to talk about.

3. xXHolic

Congrats!!! :eusa_clap It's so great to find a family member (even a distant one) to talk about sexuality! And the way it just came out so naturally shows it was the right thing to do! It's only natural to kinda feel guilty about what happened, but you will get over it! You will see, things will turn out to be better from now on :slight_smile:

so happy for you (&&&)

4. James2612

Hey Arabman,

I imagine its normal to feel a bit "Embarrassed" or "Uncomfortable" around her! But you have done one off the hardest things people have to do. So give your self some credit for that, your very brave!

You should try and talk to her, and just let her know that if you seem to act a bit strange since you last talked it is because she is the first person you have told and you are finding it difficult. I am sure she will understand!!

Welldone for telling some one! Good luck with telling others!!
    James

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out :slight_smile:
    It's great that you have found someone who is supportive in your family. I understand why you feel uncomfortable know : you have kept it secret for such a long time, it must be very confusing to know that someone else actualy knows. However, don't give her the cold shoulder. She seems to be genuine and supportive, that could be very helpful for you.
    (*hug*) Eleanor

6. TriBi

Well done on your 'first step' - and if you are from an Arab family (which seems logical from your username) then it certainly is a big step.

Just one thing - if she was that accepting - do you think it might be sensible to call her, apologise for being 'cold' toward her - and explain that she as is the first you have told and you were feeling scared about what you had done in coming out to her?

7. Alex19

8. ArabMan

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I do feel proud and will definitely try to explain myself to her. I'll keep you all posted. This "shameful" feeling will definitely go away. I'm working on it.

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Congrats and I'm proud of you for making a first step.

10. willg4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    wow you wouldn't believe this, but I did almost the same thing a week ago to a freind (she was going on holiday so i knew she couldnt contact me for a while...) an i felt EXACTLY THE SAME WAY dw you'll get over it in a few days, i did, there was one point when my stomach actually HURT cos i was soo in denial of what i had just done. I still have my ups and downs, but i am MUCH better than the day after (fb chat late at night, i couldnt sleep lol) and since then i have come out to most of my freinds. You'll be pleased to hear that the whole wishing it never happened/secretive/good some of the time thing doesnt happen every time

will x (gd luck on telling some other peeps)

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First congrats on coming out, to someone else and to yourself.

I know where you're coming from. It took me a while to come out to anyone. I think as we get older society has this: "having problems isn't cute anymore." attitude. I see from your profile your 25, maybe your worried that people might think you should have had this figured out by now, but that isn't life works.

Now that your secret is out you might be worried about how people will react, and that can freak anyone out. Be happy that your first coming out was a positive experience, it isn't always going to be that way unfortunatly.

12. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

OMG!!! How could i miss your post :frowning2:! i'm such a bad friend hehe! Oh i'm so happy to hear that you found some1 to tell :slight_smile:! Mabrook ^^ and hope all your family will react like her :slight_smile:!
    but to tell you, its normal to feel ackward and paranoid @ first because you have been hiding this for like... most of your life; so congratulations and mabrook on your first coming out story :slight_smile:!

13. napoleonri85

napoleonri85 Guest

Congrats on coming out - great to hear that it was someone who was supportive. I think what you're feeling is common - I imagine it's a very difficult process once you begin to come out to others (I haven't yet). Do you plan on coming out to others soon? Maybe you have this feeling because it was someone who you describe as "distant".