1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by shorty, Jul 12, 2009.

1. shorty

Due to being a bit of a nerd, I use linux, and generally don't have problems with flash (apart from it setting my processor on fire) but it doesn't appear to work here. Any clues?

2. lordjord96

i get that problem when i use linux but i just use windows, have you tried searching the web?

3. shorty

It works most everywhere else, was just thinking it might be some weird quirk with the forum software or something. I just see a banner saying that youtube is down, or I don't have flash installed. Due to being generally lazy at the moment I hoped for an easy answer :slight_smile: No problem, i'll sort it out when it annoys me enough.

4. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What version of flash do you have and what browser are you using? I'm a firefox user under linux (and windows too) and youtube generally doesn't work for me unless I'm running the latest version of flash.

5. Astaroth

I had this problem when I first installed Firefox, actually. I found out that my Pop-Up Blocker was the problem. Whenever I turned it off, the videos ran just fine. The moment I turned it back on, they would give me nothing but a black video screen. I didn't get the Javascript error message that appears if the video fails to load though. So if it's not just a video loading error, which would be a Javascript issue, try playing around with the Internet Options > Advanced tab and see if you have something unchecked like "allow javascript", otherwise try what I did and turn off popup blocker on the window you watch youtube in. Just make sure not to leave their website without turning it on again, lol.

6. Janvier

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL! That's true to an extent. Linux isn't something I'd use to replace Windows, but it is my preferred OS for servers.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With links for Linux users :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjpn3L3bSJQ
    [youtube]Rjpn3L3bSJQ[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0
    [youtube]t-L-0s-7-Z0[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAJDbV9Vfs
    [youtube]gFAJDbV9Vfs[/youtube]

In all seriousness, Flash is the bane of my existence and a horrible piece of crap on any platform. Like seriously it uses more than 2x the CPU of a native video decoder. Technically V10 can take advantage of the GPU instead of just writing video to the 2D frame buffer, but I've yet to see it anywhere in the real world.

And the chatroom here chews up cpu a lot more than say a native IRC client. I'm just saying.

9. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have flash on my mobile phone, and it uses shitloads of the pretty minimal system resources on it (518MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, 128MB ATI mobile graphics (can't remember the GPU used).

;_; And yes, the chatroom uses too many resources on some of the computers I use, but thankfully my desktop PC at home is powerful enough to handle the chat and all my other apps.