1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelligence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jack2009, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Everyone here acting as if they are smart as well...

2. ChopinFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, so when people say "street smarts" they mean "able to understand social nuances"? Gotcha! So basically they have to not be autistic, right? I think I would prefer someone with relatively low "street smarts". They tend to be more honest.

But still, why the hell do they call it street smarts. I mean, I can't think of a more douchey way of putting it, to be honest. Not to mention it has nothing to do with "the street".

BTW: I recommend the books/talks of professor Steven Pinker to anyone interested in the cognition of social interactions OR the psychology of swearing.

3. Amy

Amy

Similar intelligence.

If someone knew everything that I did it wouldn't be interesting. If they knew shit that I didn't, and vice versa, it probably would. In all relationships.

Like, if someone was an amazing speller, but did know anything about the Native Americans... that would work.

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    this is street smarts, SKIP TO 2:21

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JndN8CoetCw[/YOUTUBE]

5. Bradley James

I'm only ever interested in people who have an intelligence near or equal or to mine, and have the maturity to actually use it more often or not. They also have to have similar interests to mine, and most of my interests reside on the intellectual side of things... music theory, history, writing etc....

6. Markio

Intelligence is such a vague, socially-constructed term.

I'd probably be attracted to someone who has knowledge in an area that I don't, while I have superior information regarding other topics. That way we would complement each other.

7. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like you (*hug*)

My god SOMEpeople sound like they need to date einsteins brother. "They need to be as smart as me" Well just how damn smart are you? "They need to be able to hold a conversation" You ever consider maybe they just don't know what to say?

Me personally as long as you are nice and like to have fun then I don't give a flying crap how smart you are.

if i talkz like tis does dat mean i aint smart? plz dont criticize or judge ppl on how smart tey are.

I wasn't talking about everyone in this thread don't get all offended.

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

People were previously posting about "OMG HAVING A CONVERSATION CAN BE BORING IT DOESNT MAKE YOU SMART."

Well. In my original post, that's the kind of convo I like.

#68 71390S, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  9. 71390S

71390S Guest

I skimmed the thread some more, I think people are defining intelligence in different ways. Intelligence to me doesn't mean being a genius; knowing all mathematical equations and literature memorized, etc. It's having chemistry on many levels, including a cognitive level. I like talking to my boyfriend abour Voldemort being psycho because he wasn't hugged as a child. To me that's really exciting and stimulating, and my bf and I come up with all kinds of psychologyical theories. Someone who finds that type of talk BORING, I probably wont "intellectually" click with.

10. Eccentric

Heh. I can barely hold a conversation. I can imagine it now.
    "So..."
    "Umm..."
    "Nice weather we're having, eh?"
    But silence is golden, right?
    Now about the "smart conversations", my friends at school are convinced that I will become the valedictorian of our class, but that doesn't stop me from having conversations (in real life and on EC) entirely about - hold on lemme check...ooh this is a good one. My convo w/Kirah - about cheese and haircuts and random whatever. These are the conversations I enjoy. Yesterday I was talking to my friend about a story I was writing for school. You don't need to be smart to talk about if 'Ticky Towne' is a cute enough name for a place.

11. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Intelligence for me is a non-issue. However, I cannot date someone who is uninterested in learning. A thirst for knowledge and a passion for various things/activities lend themselves more to my liking than super-uber Dexter's Laboratory types.

So essentially, I'd rather date someone of below average intelligence who seeks to improve themselves than an incredibly smart person who refuses to change.

12. Bookmarked

This, pretty much.

The important thing in all my relationships, personal, interpersonal, romantic, platonic or whatever is some force of passion or an overriding interest or drive for self-betterment. The actual nature of it matters very little. In fact, I tend to admire people with abilities, talents or callings that I don't possess. For example, I have nothing but the greatest respect (and lust. Don't forget the lust) for musicians, even though I'm less musical than two planks nailed together.

Put simply, if you're interested in doing more than stagnation, you stand well in my eyes.