1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question for all the meat-eaters and non-vegetarians out there.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

First off, let me say I'm Vegan. I'm extremely strict about my diet, and I am also very healthy, I eat right and since going Vegan 3 years ago I've had no nutrition-related medical problems.

Now my question is: Why do some omnivores take such an offence to Vegan/Vegetarians?

I am NOT one of those Vegans who will preach until I'm blue in the face about animal rights, health benefits and environment issues in regards to the Vegan lifestyle. It's just not me. Yet for some reason a lot of people, family, friends, coworkers and people I barely know get all mad at me for being vegan!

I don't get it, I'm not hurting them, nor am I being all preachy with trying to force them to be vegan, half the time I won't even bother to respond to their arguments because I'd be wasting my time. So can someone explain to me why someone being vegan tends to piss off you omnivores?

2. Shevanel

Because Bacon is gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Simple as that really. I don't get mad at people who choose to live that way, I think y'all are missing out though. I'm not an omnivore, i'm a Fooditarean.

3. MusicIsLife

xD

Thing is, even when i wasnt vegan I hated bacon, so I dont feel like im missing out on anything.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because we're insecure in our beliefs. Because we know we should be vegetarians as well. Because seeing someone who successfully went vegetarian reminds us that it can be done, and should be done.

...but why is this in Entertainment and Technology?

Lex

5. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

[​IMG]

Now that I'm done the obligatory mocking, it's because you have the moral highground. Even though we may deny it, we know that your views on life are kinder than ours. And we all hella jealous. We don't have cute furry animals on our side of the debate. We just have personal preference and ease of access. On top of knowing that we "shouldn't be eating meat", a LARGE portion of vegans/vegetarians do get all preachy. I have had people literally shouting at me because I ordered an omelette while eating with them. It's people like that who leave shitty impressions. It's hard to shake the feeling that if I bust out a tuna sandwich in front of a vegan/vegetarian, I will be judged for it.

Not to mention PETA who is more of a detriment than anything else. I mean swatting flies is a national issue?

Extremists leave a bad taste in our mouths and until they piss off, expect the dislike to flow freely.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I don't have a problem with Vegans and/or Vegetarians. I think the big thing is that most omnivores think it is against nature or something. I know lots of chefs don't like them because they think that Vegans and Vegetarians are missing out on lots of flavor as they see it. I have actually tried to go Vegetarian in the past, but I didn't last too long out of laziness. I doubt that I could go fully Vegan though, I feel there are too many restrictions for me.

7. MusicIsLife

I didn't know if Vegetarian/Vegan discussion would fit in the Chit Chat board so I put it here.

8. davo-man

I don't understand how "we know we should be vegetarians as well"? I don't have a problem with people who choose to become vegans/vegetarians, but saying that we should all be vegetarians is going a bit far. I mean, humans were designed to be omnivores, either by God or evolution, so I don't really get the point that we are jealous that others were able to stop eating meat (as Numfarh mentioned), when it is basically ingrained in our history and our biology that we should eat meat.

That said, to anyone who has such strong convictions against eating meat for whatever reason, all the more power to you, but it's not my choice

9. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

But that's the thing, our opinions on what we should eat are not as kind/thoughtful/considerate as people who believe that we should not be eating animals or their byproducts. Just because we acknowledge that we won the race against all the other humanoids by eating meat doesn't necessarily mean it's the "right" thing to do. I mean, it's obvious that we should always choose the path that causes the least amount of suffering. It just so happens that vegans/vegetarians also choose this path for animals.

As omnivores, we can NEVER argue from the side of morality. Ever. That's all.

10. dictionary

It's fun to make fun of people who are different...Seriously.

11. jonny

Now ur being rediculous. Where Carnivorous beast who eat any and every meat out there. I don eat little furry cats and dog.

Personally I believe there is something in everything out there. I like meat an I love my veggies. If I didn't have either food group my meal wouldn't be the same. If u choose to be a veggei/vegan that's ur choice. If always been an open minded person. Eat what u what u want. Just don't my views are not right.

P.S I think ur crazy to pass up a good steak, but that's ur choice and I respect that.

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've moved this to Chit Chat, it's a better fit here than in Entertainment and Technology.

Personally, I don't have an issue with people who are vegetarian or vegan, I have an issue with being preached at and/or abused. If someone who's vegetarian or vegan accepts that I'm not, I accept that they are. I lose respect for individuals because of the way they act and the way they treat people, not their diet.

13. djt820

Its bullshit we NEED to be vegetarian. I eat meat because it tastes good and unless you make some fucking vegetable taste like a Ribeye, fuck off. I understand the risks of eating meat in this day of age and I also understand the treatment of the slaughterings is absolutely wrong but thats not going to make me stop eating meat.

14. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

We do not hold animals up to the same standards that we hold ourselves. That is because we are self-aware and have the capacity to evaluate the consequences of our actions. Animals do not share this talent. You do not eat cats or dogs because you were raised in a society that keeps them as pets. I'm sure if you were in another culture, you may enjoy a dog thigh or two.

I'm not saying that eating meat is a bad choice. It's healthy for you (in moderation) and it helps many people acquire vitamins/proteins that we wouldn't otherwise eat. And it tastes delicious. But what people don't seem to understand is that omnivores will never be able to claim that their views on meat are more "morally sound" than vegetarians. (I don't really believe in moral absolutes, but for the purpose of this argument, we will take most of Western society's morals to be true. EX: Murder is bad and we should be kind.)

And for the record, I eat meat. :icon_wink I just understand that I am not necessarily in the right about it.

15. starfish

Hey as long as you still act like an omnivore in public, I am cool with it.

I jest, I jest.

My self, I honestly don't care how you live your life. I am busy living my own life, and as long you don't interfere with my ability to live my life I don't care. I don't even care if you try to convince me to follow your lifestyle, as long as you back off when I say no.

It is funny that you mention this this. We had a discussion about this very topic at work today. Basically what it comes down to 2 points. First most people are nosy and like to meddle in the affairs of others. Second is that most people are insecure with themselves and attack those who make them feel insecure.

A good example is the aforementioned moral issues. Most people feel insecure when they feel they don't have the moral high ground. To be honest the moral argument is a very good argument for vegetarianism and veganism. I don't think I could present a well formed argument against it.

16. Markio

I am very strict about my diet, but I'm not vegan or vegetarian. After having major skin problems and indigestion, I no longer eat any dairy products or food with wheat/gluten, because my body reacts badly to those foods. I by no means expect others to conform to my diet because they probably don't need to. I envy those that can get away eating what they do. And I dislike people who make fun of me for what I eat, because it's not like I'm doing it for fun.

I feel concerned when I see people eat poorly, like my roommate who would eat processed brownies every hour, but I don't say anything because I recognize that it is their choice what they eat. Just as it is my choice what I eat. People should just respect each other for their dietary choices. ...or I'll beat them up! Not really.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#16 Markio, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  17. Greggers

Anyone who would judge you for choosing not to eat meat is... *goes to find a random picture*

[​IMG]

...a fat cat with a kraft singles cheese slice on their face. Total FAIL.

I basically view that persons opinion on the same level as someone who would not hang out with me in grade 4 because my favorite color was not green or i did not have enough gel pens. Its utter stupidity because, as you said, its not affecting anyone else and your not trying to force it on anyone else.

18. Garrett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh cool! I'm a vegetarian also. Been one most of my life. I know how you feel; I have to go through that as well. It's so confusing..

19. Mickey

I'm a vAgitarian. I still eat meat,but the 4 legged kind.

20. Porphyrogenitus

Yeah, murder is bad... but there isn't any widespread history of Western morality considering the killing of animals to be murder, especially when they are being used for food purposes. Also, I would totally eat cats or dogs if a) I could buy them, and b) I knew they tasted good.