subtle racist attitude against gay Asian Australians within the continent?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LowestVocal017, Jun 18, 2009.

1. highflyers

highflyers Guest

I'm brown-skinned South Indian too.

2. BaldOldGoat

Interesting as I have kind of a weakness for dark skinned people of South Indian descent. My ex was dark skinned Indian, but a combination of Gujarati and partition migrants from Sindh.

Some American guys can be very racist, but I think it's really more a matter of education levels. I'm not generally attracted to East Asians, but every so often I run across a fellow who strikes me as very good looking, so you just never know. I can understand why "No ..." seems hurtful and exclusionary, but is it possible when running across those profiles to just think "HIS loss!" and move
    on?

The idea that there isn't a significant amount of racism among gays in the UK is laughable. Before any of our British friends take complete offense at that, I'd say most are very nice, but there is more than just slight, occasional racism there.

#22 BaldOldGoat, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  3. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Racism is one of the worst problems in the world. I will admit Canada has a problem with racism towards Aboriginals. :frowning2:

4. Plattyrex

I never really got the whole no Asians thing. I actually find Asians to be one of the most attractive ethnicities.

5. Distant Echo

Seriously. Racism is not a problem in Australia. We have idiotic politicians that are pandering to the lowest common denominator, and who are afraid to think for themselves.
    The vast majority of Aussies are not racist, and are offended and embarrassed by how Australia is presenting to the world.

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you white? If so, how are you, being white, qualified to say if racism is a problem?

If a man said misogyny wasn't a problem in Australia, would you find it insensitive? To appraise the issue of racism in Australia, I think non-whites like the op are better suited to answer the question.

7. highflyers

highflyers Guest

IDK Since I don't pay attention to American gay culture. But the environment is the most hostile IMO. It's very white/black/asian, lots of anti-indian racism, and very Christian. I've always thought to avoid the United States and stick to other countries which tend to be less attacking.

In terms of British racism, I've never come across racism or slurs on British forums and it's possible to walk into any bar or club and hold a conversation with a white person.

I find that Blacks / Pakistanis (lower class) tend to be racist towards East Asians, while Indians (middle class) tend to be racist towards Blacks / Pakistanis. Whites are segregated by class. I tend to receive most hostilities from Blacks / Pakistanis.

Younger Brits are also far more open. Younger ones are very likely to come up to you, but then I'm young too so IDK.

Aren't East Asians the most fetished ethnic group in gay culture? I remember reading several studies that keep placing East Asians far higher than South Asians or Blacks.

8. Distant Echo

Wow. So unless I give my racial profile, my opinion is to be disregarded? Thanks for that. My racial profile is none of your business. And dismissing my opinion because you think I might be white is racist.
    Oh and you're not an Aussie, so who are you to say what Aussies think?....

#28 Distant Echo, Dec 12, 2015
  9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You said racism wasn't a problem in Australia. White people don't experience racism and hence why I asked you about your race.

There were poc from Australia claiming racism does exist over there. If you are white it would only be natural for you not see it seeing as it wouldn't affect you, but again non-whites say it is a problem. I'm inclined to agree with them

#29 AtheistWorld, Dec 12, 2015
  10. Distant Echo

And this thread dates back to 2009.
    Where I live racism isn't a problem. There is a quite diverse mix of nationalities, we have a lot of refugees (in fact, we are a refugee safe zone), there have been a lot of family reunions, some funded by the local community. One family had a two year search for missing family members, and the community sponsored them to come over when they were found.
    Does that sound like a racism problem?

Yes, Australia has idiots. But they are the vocal minority. The rest of us are accepting, encouraging and welcoming. Particularly rural Australia.

11. highflyers

highflyers Guest

Does it not depend on the ethnicity that's involved? Most of Australia's immigrant minorities come from China, South-East Asia, India and Sri Lanka. One could say that those ethnic minorities don't really receive racism anywhere.

But this thread is about racism in the LGBT community.

12. Gen

Gen

Since it doesn't seem as though this thread will be locked despite being several years old, I should note that I wrote this post when I was underaged and barely involved in the LGBTQ community much less dating culture:
    When I think of the dissertations that I could write on how innocently ignorant I was.

The United States is home to some of the most racially and ethnically diverse regions of the world. That does not mean that racism is not a prominent issue in all areas of this country.

Diversity =/= Equality

Normalized bias and systematic inequality are things that are easily overlooked by those who are not directly affected by the issues that are afflicting minority groups. Rather than make broad statements about whether not forms of prejudice and oppression, such as racism, sexism, etc, exist in vast territories that are filled with millions of people, we should keep our opinions concentrated on our own individual experiences. "I have not experienced any of this in my environment, but I am not going to doubt that there is a presence of bias and inequality in my society that I am not personally privy too."

13. guitar

Everything here goes double for me. I don't get it :frowning2:

My guess would be a lot of Asian guys have a twink body type, and their personalities can often be more reserved, much to the chagrin of the "masc4masc" crowd?

#33 guitar, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  14. 741852963

My understanding is it is to do with immigration and negative perceptions related to this.

I'd imagine its the equivalent of Americans with Mexicans, British people with Poles etc.

15. highflyers

highflyers Guest

There is something odd about US culture though. It's generally accepted that the Commonwealth Realms are far less racist towards Indians.

16. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wonder why? I think it's so attractive when an Asian has a British or Australian accent. x)

17. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed!

18. highflyers

highflyers Guest

I think it's because Australian/British accents aren't anything special if you come from one of those countries. I mean, it's not like I'm going to fawn over hearing yet another British accent I hear everyday from everyone.

I thought East Asians were the most popular ethnic minority among gays?