1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Advice I've Recieved

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Noah, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Noah

When coming out, often we let our fear take charge.
    Courage is not the absence of fear.
    You will be scared sh!tless, but you need to do it. It will change your life in a positive way, no matter how crazy your parents and friends are. Trust me.
    Courage is not the absence of fear.
    Stop making excuses and do it.

2. twixy30

it is good advice but it better said then done

3. Greggers

I think you mean easier said than done.

- - -

Anyways, back to the topic. Yea, thats good advice. Kinda like what ive said before with my pool metaphor.

Coming out is like a little boy standing on the edge of a cold pool who wants to jump in. He knows its going to start off cold, and thats all he thinks about. He paces back and forth. You either take the "one step at a time" method, were you climb down one step of the ladder at a time. This is an easy approach but its slow and gets much harder with every step you take. The other way is to jump in head first. You might be more cold at first, but its quick and you warm up faster. No matter what way you use to get in the pool, once your in you find its alot nicer than freezing on the egde of the pool and that it seemed alot more scary beforehand than it really turned out to be.

So basically, coming out may seem scary but its never actually as bad looking back after the fact. Its one of those things that the fear of doing the action is worse than the actual action itself. You either come out one by one until all you have left are the hardest people to tell, or you come out to a huge group at once and get it over with. Both ways get you to the same place, just different ways. And in the end you will be more happy for it, no matter how much crap you got when you first came out.

4. Noah

After your first coming out, it's like a rush. You can't stop because you love the feeling of being honest so much. And I know it's easier said then done. I know what it is to alienate your family, to get kicked out of school, to have your best friend tell you that you're burning in hell. Been there, done that. And the rewards are still worth it.

5. Greggers

Totally agreed, well not so much the "rush" part for me, but ive had alot of shit thrown at me when coming out but im so much happier now than i was before, even if i do have like 25% of the friends i had before.

6. RaeofLite

Those people that ditched you when you came out though Greggers weren't your friends in the first place. *hugs*

7. Greggers

(*hug*) Thanks. Yea, i know that now, but when it first happend i was kind of a wreak heh. But it made the 25% i had much more important to me, so im glad about that.

8. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]
    QFT :icon_bigg

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I agree completely.