1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallucinations

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Swamp56, Jun 1, 2009.

?

Have you ever had hallucinations?

1. No

25 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Yes, a visual hallucination (seeing)

34 vote(s)
    42.5%
  3. Yes, a tactile hallucination (feeling)

23 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. Yes, an olfactory hallucination (smelling)

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Yes, a gustatory hallucination (taste)

10 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Yes, an auditoral hallucination (hearing)

36 vote(s)
    45.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. peaceLOVEandNYC

yeah i have visual and auditory hallucinations. I'm an epileptic and the visual ones occur when i have seizures but the auditory ones happen randomly. My doc suggests that it is caused by the medicine but idc. I can usually differentiate between what is real and what isn't since the auditory ones are usually my name being yelled or music.

A great book to read into Auditory hallucinations (and basically all things that are related to music and the mind) is Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

2. peaceLOVEandNYC

i can related (*hug*)

about 2-5 seconds before i have a seizure i see a flash of light and then my sight spins but it is very colourful.

If it wasn't a harbinger of fear/pain it would be quite enjoyable

3. cpt doodles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yep, tactile and auditoral - it felt like there was a plastic bag being dragged over my head and then there was an incredibly loud screaming!! it scared the shit outta, i could barely talk the rest of that day

4. All of them, quite often.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Nope but my twin has.

6. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Woah! Thought this was just me! I see moving lights that taste like colours (really can't explain it) when I eat nuts because i'm allergic. My hands swell and my face goes blotchy to (sexy!)
    And when i've taken interesting substances I see the same stuff but i'm clean now. I started to get really paranoid and the colours started to scare of because I thought they were following me and I kept getting flash backs.

7. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a really fascinating question and has prompted a lot of interesting answers in this thread. I couldn't answer the poll because I do not know if I have ever had a hallucination that wasn't explainable (illness, medications, psychedelic drugs, etc). But I have experienced on very rare occasions sights or experiences that cannot be explained.

People have offered up ghosts here as an example and I for one would not discount that. Literature on the subject is very extensive and if approached without prejudice, can be quite convincing.

I will admit that without illness, not using any recreational or medical drugs, I have had three sets of visual experiences that could qualify. In each of these cases I appeared to see writing or artwork in a distinct format that looked to me like a language. Metaphysical writings sometimes accounts for other orders of life that leave records on what can be termed "the astral plane." If you are laughing at this point I will understand and am not offended. I know how this sounds. Let me describe the most amazing of these to you:

This event happened over several days and evolved as I grew bolder.
    I kept an orange colored night light in the hallway leading to my bedroom which produced a backlight. One night I woke up (and was completely awake). Framed in the doorway against the orange light I saw what looked like distinct puffs of smoke that changed shapes, solidified, then changed shapes again forming a set of hieroglyphic patterns. I was completely baffled by it. It repeated again over several nights. Then one night I got out of bed and approached them. They remained in their constantly changing format as I drew near, as if they were actually made of smokey matter dancing in the air. I could get beneath them and still see them above me. Looking from behind the backlight was gone and I could not see them. Later the phenomena was observable out my bedroom window as well since there was outside light behind them. They were then even more extensive.

I understand how weird this sounds. It was a weird experience for me as well. I am however convinced that the experience although inexplicable was grounded in some type of reality. I do not think it was an hallucination. I think that "reality" is a much bigger vehicle for human experiences than we ordinarily have. Those experiences started without any exceptional events, and ended just the same and have not recurred in the past 20 years. But I think of them still as a mysterious layer of unknown reality. :shrug:

8. shimmersky

Only when I'm tripping.

9. RaeofLite

I can hear things that aren't there, and smell things that aren't.

I remember I used to smell burning wood and burning cookies growing up (and this was at 9-10pm and parents were in bed and no one was downstairs) and the woodstove hadn't been lit (since it was summer).

I sometimes hear my name being called, and whispers. Although I swear a ghost stalks me. :lol:

10. Chandra

There's a phenomenon called hypnagogia, also known as "old hag", that I used to get quite often while I was either falling asleep or waking up. Once I had an auditory hallucination that was so loud it snapped me out of sleep, and I stormed to my brother's room and banged on his door to ask him why the hell he was blasting his stereo in the middle of the night. He was fast asleep, and there was no stereo on.

11. xCrazyInsanity

I see, hear, and feel things when I'm too stressed.

One time -- now this was really bad -- i was seeing huge bugs, one of them crawled on me and into my head. Too freaking real. But I mean literally it went though my neck and into my brain. I could hear all of them, and one of them spoke engish for some reason.
    This didn't go away for several DAYS, over which I told no one.

This is just one of the worse ones I've had. I didn't realize it wasn't real until almost a month later...I still swear that thing did something in my head, just havn't been the same since.

...I have paranoia problems too.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You should tell a doctor about that.

13. Colly

I've had visual, tactile and auditory hallucinations as a bad reaction to some medications I was on while in Hospital. The normally white floor of the ward turned into lava, I could see all of the beds with the other patients still in them melting and bursting into flames. The screams of the other patients was deafening and petrifying. Then I could feel the sensation of my skin burning, and I picked my arm up out of the lava to watch what was left of my flesh slide off. At this point, Vultures and Crocodiles began tearing off my limbs, I tried to fight them off, but failed and had both arms and legs torn off, just leaving my torso and head. when my head went under, I could see an entire army of burning men, coming at me with samurai swords but I couldn't do anything.. I had no arms and legs to fend them off. The last thing I remember is 50 of the thrusting their swords into me all at once.

Turns out the swords were needles, I ended up requiring three times the normal dose of sedative to knock me out, as (according to my doctor) I was screaming my lungs out, and became so violent when people approached me that they had to call in security to get me restrained.

I'm never going to hospital - ever again.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Hallucinations can be extremely terrifying, especially since humans (most of the time) believe what their senses are telling them.

15. Colly

What's worse is that sometimes I wake up screaming that I'm on fire, and it is quiet obviously related to my hallucinations (this only started happening after). Since I live alone it freaks the neighbors (and myself) out to no end.

16. gemerency

well i feel as if i dropped about a foot when i wake up suddenly in night. it freaked me out the first time, now i just roll over and go back to sleep. several times when im out in plain day i could swear i see random creatures, usually not the type that anyone on earth has seen.

Example: once when i was sitting in the back seat of my fathers truck we pulled up to a stoplight behind another car and i could have sworn that i saw a massive white canine figure, except it was way to skinny to hold any organs let alone be alive, but it just kept trotting over the cross walk.

and every few days or so i hear a scream or yell in the background, i usually ignore it thinking someone is being tickled but the thought of whether it's real or not has crossed my mind many times before.

#36 gemerency, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never anything quite so obvious. I've been delirious with fever and dehydration, and I simply don't think very clearly. I didn't "see things" - my brain just wasn't working right. One night, I was lying on my bathroom floor, naked and sweating, arguing with my cat. "You keep walking up to me and meowing like I'm supposed to understand you! MEOW? What the hell does that MEAN?!"

Lex

18. x2x2x2x2y2

A long time ago, I was playing a video game. I was REALLY into it, blocking out everything around me. Suddenly I hear someone whisper my name right into my ear. I quickly turned around and looked. I was home alone. It freaked me out.

19. xCrazyInsanity

eh, that was just one really bad instance... normally i just hear weird things or see random flying objects (most of the time they're white)

Most of the time I'm fine. And frankly, i'd rather not be medicated for something that normally I'm aware isn't real.

#39 xCrazyInsanity, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  20. paint

My brother told me the same thing when he was little. He saw a pair of red eyes outside the window and they scared him. He still swears it's true too.

Anyway, the first couple years after I hit puberty, so like when I was 12-14 years old, I saw a lot of dark shadowy shapes. Usually a person. one time a cat. I attributed to my imagination, because I can tweak my imagination to very high levels. I'm sorta proud of that, so I didn't worry about the shadows and they went away after I moved.

However, my brother just reached that age, and he just told me that he sometimes sees the same phenomenon. Could be genetic? :shrug: