1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interracial relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alex19, May 8, 2009.

?

do u think we accept it more?

1. yes

46 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. maybe/idk

14 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. id say LGBT's and str8s are about the same on it

25 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Well I think is about the same for both straight and gay. I mean the fact that we have a post about it says a lot. There are still people with racial integration probelms. In florida there are two diffrent worlds and no in between. The central and southern part are all for it, commonly seen among straight and gay people, it isnt an issue. You head to the northern parts and the mid southern parts and you'll get looks, comments and the rare but sometimes reported, beatings...gay or striaght.

As long as it is a topic of intrest, it is a topic with issues.

2. Fiorino

We'll I'd like to hope that gay people as a whole would be more accepting, but it probably depends more on the person. Myself, I think White guys are more my type, but if I found the right guy and he was Black I obviously wouldn't let that get in the way. And as far as other people's relationships go, If the girl is going out with a sleazebag and he's White, then I'd tell her to find a new man, and if she's going out with an angel and he's Black, then I'd be happy that she found a guy who can treat her right. And at the end of the day what other people do in their own personal life isn't really my business. I think it's a shame that there aren't that many interracial marriages (I think like 4% of all Marriages), it shows how American society is still divided among racial lines.

3. kettleoffish

Where I am, interracial couples are pretty much completely accepted. Racism is far less widespread in the UK than in the US. Now just for gay couples....

4. brian105

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow...I recently started a thread with the same title. I wasn't aware that this thread existed. I guess I could have done a search, but i was too lazy. It seems to me that Race in a Relationship is still important. I never assumed for a minute that "our" community would be accepting of interracial relationships. I guess discrimination is alive and well in the lgbt community. I'm just so confused on the whole subject. But I love the honesty.

5. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    nobody really pay's attention to race here so i guess it isn't a problem

6. littledinosaurs

From what I've witness LGBT people accept it about the same as everyone else.

7. Jekko

Well just recently my cousin and his Thai girlfriend moved in together because his girlfriend's parents (from Thailand) told her, she couldn't be with him because he's a Mexican.

I'm all for it, but i prefer Koreans & French Canadians

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

I've been reading that the castro (in SF) is really racist. Is this true? Has anyone been there?

9. shorty

I don't really know, but I can't understand why it could be an issue at all whether you are straight or gay. It just doesn't compute in my head why people would have a problem with it. I love black skin and the pink part of black people hands and feet I find cute for some reason, heh. I also think asian guys are hot. Also white dudes. Eh, I feel like a slut. haha.

10. Derek the Wolf

Unfortunately I've found that a lot of gay folk are less tolerant that others. I really wish I understood why, you'd expect it to be the other way around.
    Personally interracial relationships are fine by me. ^^

11. Étoile

Just because you are discriminated against doesn't mean you welcome everyone with open arms. You may be able to understand and relate to a gay man's struggle but not quite someone of a different race, gender, class, weight, ect. Racism has a more deep-rooted and painful background than homosexuality, not to downplay our struggles. It's ingrained in some of us to fear and distrust some races and it seems harder to wipe away than homophobia.

12. Aero

I find in general racism is more easily overcome than homophobia.
    Homosexuality, because of the ratio of heterosexual to homosexual, will always be different, and because of it's nature (two guys/two girls) will always be misunderstood.
    I'm East Indian and can't think of a time I was discriminated against by race (at least outwardly)... but I know people from every race under the sun, and I would say about 99% have made homophobic comments. People at work will never talk about race, but are quick to give an opinion on sexuality... To me, it seems that gay-bashing is common ground for all races.... and the difference is that it is still acceptable to make homophobic comments.
    I hope one day that changes.

13. kevinx519

i find that the lgbt community as a whole is a lot less accepting of interracial couples as i thought it would be. im not saying it is more or less than that of straight couples, but for a group that is harshly discriminated against, youd think wed learn our lesson about being more open to couples with varying racial backgrounds. i, myself, try to keep an open mind about other guys, but i cant help but find guys from specific races more attractive than others. hope that doesnt make me too bad of a person.

14. ANightDude

It doesn't make you a bad person, silly. :lol:
    But you say that the gay community is alot less accepting, and I have to disagree. From what I've seen, they are much more accepting. We are all (&&&) together. :thumbsup:

15. Gumtree

I voted yes for the simple fact that when it comes to relationship prospects in the GBL community, orientation, out status etc tend to be higher on the priority list, which are factors heterosexual couplings don't worry about (usually :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). The lower the priority the less influence it has on the decision.

But just the same as homophobic views and feelings, racism is something that is generally a part of your community and/or upbringing and that is totally irrelevant to our sexuality.

#35 Gumtree, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  16. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why would they say that?

-----------------

You know what I noticed most people are more racially towards black people, I don't get why. There's more acceptance towards other minorities but when it's black it's a no.

I could date an asian (girl) and it would be iffy, okay. But if its a black (girl) then it's no, disown type deal.

Guy of any race would be no!!, but a black man would be the worst thing on the planet.

#36 Jack2009, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  17. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hmmm... depends where u are in the world really - it's quite common in england because of all the immigrants... but then again, some of the foriegn cultures want the marriages to stay within their group... :S

18. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my parents would only be upset if i dated a greek or an italian because they think that all the men are womanizing abusive angry twats... but surely anybody can be abusive? and what if it was a woman?? i think my parents (especially my mum) would take a little while getting used to me dating girls in general, and then would find it normal... it's all very complicated!!!

19. kevinx519

haha thanks. i was saying that i thought it would be a lot more accepting though, but have found that there are still levels of racism comparable to that of the straight community. and as an asian guy, ive done some research on racism within the lgbt community for asians. heres a link to a youtube video i found called "Forbidden Fruit": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_B_LNFr7jg&feature=related . it's pretty interesting if you want to check it out. i dont know how outdated this video is as it seems fairly old so maybe the community has evolved past this discrimination. itd sure make it a whole lot easier for guys like me. :slight_smile:

20. Étoile

I'm trying to figure this out as well. As a black guy, I'm trying to figure out why there is this wonder, fearful curiosity asociated with dating a black person with some people. I've heard people say, "Wow, you're dating a black person?", "I wonder how they are in bed?", "You know he's dating a black girl right?" We're human too; no need to fear us! LOL :smilewave kevinx519, I guess when you're a majority, it's natural for you to wonder but romantically fear or distance yourself from the minority because of the new territory factor.