Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the Harry Potter series, Calebstone. It's what got me into reading again. :slight_smile:

I finished Life Before Legend yesterday and now I'm trying to decide whether to read Autobiography of a Yogi or The Maze Runner series... Hmm

2. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just recently finished reading the Count of Monte Cristo. I have to say that I enjoyed the book much more than the movie (the 2002 version with Jim Caviezel). It seemed that the movie really watered down Edmond's revenge and also changed the names of some important characters, or omitted them entirely. I think that to really do the book justice a film version of it needs to be at least three hours long.

3. RainDreamer

Texbooks counts? I have been reading a ton of books and scientific journals for studying...

I guess the last book I have read for enjoyment was the english translation of Rocket Girls by Housuke Nojiri. Quite a fun light novel, has a lot of hard science behind it, and friendly to LGBT (not a main theme, but there was a memorable incident in the first book with 2 gay russians astronauts, and that was good enough for me).

4. The Aquarius

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This book called Deadline by Chris Crutcher. It's about a senior in high school who finds out he has a terminal sickness and only has about a year. There are a lot of touching and funny parts in the book and it's not very well known so I'd recommend this to really anyone who's looking for a swell read.

I will also high-five someone if they have read it since I haven't seen anyone else who has read it before. :/

5. Verb

Pat Barker's 'Double Vision'. As usual she just had me hooked from cover to cover; found it insightful and sensitive, not to mention brilliantly written.

6. Anotheruser

Reading gone. It's a book about everyone over 15 disappearing and all the kids left get special powers.

7. Scottmcdonn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was feeling down a few nights ago so I decided to re-read The Fault in our Stars! That book is just WOW. I've refused to watch the movie because it couldn't be as good as the book. What a perfect world that would be where nothing gets in the way of true love! :slight_smile: see what it's done too me, It's made me soppy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. RandomMatt

I just started reading the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I'm halfway through the third book already and I'm loving every second of it. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it because normally I can't stand police procedural type literature.

9. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't read in ages! I must get back into it.
    Here are the last three books I read:
    The Last Command by Timothy Zahn. (This was brilliant).
    In My Father's Den by Maurice Gee.
    Genesis by Bernard Beckett (This one was thought provoking - loved it).

I am now currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for school.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finished reading two books lately:

The first book is by Serbian author Zoran Zivkovic, Hidden Camera, a book that travels along the border of the real and fantasy.

The novel follows an undertaker who finds an envelope in front of his door step, containing a single instruction: to be the city's film archives by 6:00pm on a summer day. At first the undertaker believes it to be an invitation for everyone in the building and expecting to find every seat taken when he arrives, instead find himself alone in the theatre with the exception of a lady sitting beside him. The movie that is shown depicts him sitting on a park bench, next to a lady, eating his lunch. By the time he realises that the lady sitting on the bench with him, is the lady sitting beside him in the theatre, it's too late. She is gone.

This is the beginning of the undertaker's bizarre journey to a bookstore, the city zoo, a trip through the city's sewer system and the eventual arrival at a hidden room in the system, and a hospital, all the while thinking that he is a participant in a TV show 'Hidden Camera.' That single thought keeps him on his toes and tries not to look foolish or get into embarrassing situations.

I usually don't read fantasy novels but I must say that I wouldn't mind reading the novel again as it kept me hooked from the very first page. I liked the way Zivkovic developed the story, taking place in one single evening, connecting the themes of time, birth, and death while leading the main character to walk from one situation into another, from the film archives to the bookstore, from the bookstore to the zoo.... kept going by little notes with instructions, while also going back in time and seeing the lady who sat beside him on the park bench becoming younger.

The second novel I finished reading is The Summer Book, by Finish author Tove Jansson. The novel is set on a small island off the Finnish coast where a six year old girl, Sophia, spends her summer months with her dad and grandmother. The story is told in 22 vignettes, each dealing with one single event or time frame in the life of the little girl and the grandmother. The vignettes are held together by the recurrent themes of the nature of God, the idea of love, the joys and sorrows of life.

The descriptions of island life, and the landscape painted in the novel, allowed me quite easily to imagine myself being on that small island and observing both, and the dad, going about their daily routines and lives. It is a quite wonderful novel, and one to pick up when one wants to have a relaxing read.

11. neecee

neecee Guest

last book I read was "Four" by Veronica Roth.
    I really liked it :slight_smile:

12. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    'Just One Year' by Gayle Forman

13. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's been years since I read a book so I have no idea.

14. Arachne

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    'Where Do Camels Belong? The science of invasive species' by Ken Thompson. A bit repetitive at times but really interesting. As for fiction...probably the last Game of Thrones book or maybe something by Maria McCann. To be honest I can't remember!

15. Countervail

Peter James' Roy Grace Dead Simple/ Looking good dead.

Man, you wouldn't expect the strings of lies and deceit in this story; I was caught offguard.

16. NathanielB13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any Malorie Blackman books as they are all awesome. Read N&C series all the way through and can quote Checkmate as it is the best book by her. Just finished reading "Trust me", hated the middle of it but the ending was just the best.

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hmm I can't really remember, but I think Revolution by Russell Brand was probaly the last one. He's so funny ^^ and smartsey toosey

18. lukeluvznicki13

City of Bones, The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare :slight_smile:

19. Masnar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last book I read was Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. Superb moody, eerie sci-fi.

20. luminescence

I know you guys probably don't know this since it isn't a very popular book but it's, The Solidarity Of Prime Numbers (La Solitudine Dei Numeri Primi), and Things Fall Apart