1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. Mariliss

Just finished The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie.
    Christie is such a troll, I love her.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Lute and the Scars by Danilo Kis.

It is a collection of seven short stories that contain themes of oppression, totalitarian violence, freedom, death, and belonging. Some of the stories are autobiographical in nature, while the last story in the collection, "The Debt," is about Ivo Andric, who was a Yugoslav novelist, and who recounts all the debts he owes to the people who have helped him throughout his life.

It was the fourth book by Kis that I have read and it followed into the footsteps of his previous novels and short fiction. In creating the characters and the settings, Danilo Kis drew from his own past and experiences during the Second World War and living in communist Yugoslavia.

All of the stories' subject matter, left me with some deeper thoughts about how some people must have lived in constant fear of potentially being imprisoned simply for the views they held, freedom, and belonging. It certainly is a thought provoking read (as his previous works have been). Aleksandar Hemon, who wrote the preface to Psalm 44 wrote that "there is literature, than there is literature." Danilo Kis's work falls into the later 'literature' that brings to live the stories of people, told through fictional characters, that otherwise would be forgotten.

3. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Inferno

That book there is a mindf*ck

4. Time Lord10

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo is my current LBYR list topper. It's a revolutionary guide for changing your life by organizing your posessions and only keeping those that "spark joy". This lady is a mega-star in Japan - even being so popular that they'be made a dramatic television series about her tidying (I'm guessing Hoarders, just with a compelling script and lots of soap opera-esque camera-glances). She also has a three month waiting list.

The book was very good. She accurately describes every situation I've found myself in with regard to cleaning my house. I really loved the idea of thanking your belongings and kind of personifying them, as I do that already. I'm attempting to get my family on board with her methods so we can all revolutionize the way we live. It's a great read, which is a shining achievement for an organization guide.

Next on my list is Toast, Nigel Slater's memoir. I saw the film on Netlfix last year and absolutely adored it, so I can't wait to read that one.

This thread has brought about the realization that I read far too much nonfiction. I need to stop being so picky about my fictional reads and encourage myself to try more of them.

I also just read Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. Definitely worth all its hype. I'm a huge fan of hers already, so it wasn't hard to enjoy.

6. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's great! I liked it :slight_smile:
    My last book was "The Overcoat"; "The Nose"; "The Calash" all tales by Nikolaj Gogol.

7. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Vanity of Duluoz by Jack Kerouac - My third book of his and is well on his way to becoming a favorite author of mine. Though I really enjoyed and would consider this a favorite, there's a definite preference for On the Road and Dharma Bums if only because this novel is a little less focused which I think is due to the fact it covers a larger span of time [1935-46.]

Being the final novel published during his lifetime, it's interesting that he goes back to such an early stage of his development, starting off at the end of his high school life and ending during early adulthood after serving as a merchant marine during the Second World War and returning to Columbia University. One would expect that such a 'youthful' story might have a certain zeal that the earlier books I've read, which are set after this, had but as Kerouac's life and career went on he became more bitter, misanthropic which shows in this writing. To a degree that's what I liked about it. Partly due to my current mood, but also a sort of conflict between the subject matter which gradually builds up in a way to seemingly justify his pessimism through various events, actions and the prose. If the other books felt sad in a melancholic way, this was for me in an empathetic way, understanding how one could feel so let down after such experiences which create lasting impacts in one's memory.

8. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Entwicklungspsychologie (Developmental Psychology) by Schneider & Lindenberger. It's a textbook though, not sure if this counts?

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why the Child is Cooking in the Polenta by Romanian author Aglaja Veteranyi.

10. Yosia

'The Lost Boy' it's an authors true story about child abuse.

11. medulhed

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Joy of Hate by Greg Gutfeld. It's not as offensive as it sounds!

12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow.

13. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Carmilla by LeFanu.

14. SomeLeviathan

currently reading The Mirage by Matt Ruff

15. Candace

Low Pressure by Sandra Brown

16. Funk

last book I read was Called Fragment. Short Version it's about a reality Program who finds a lost island of sorts and mayhem Happens. they find creatures unlike what we know. or is it. three thirds into it is revealed all Crustaceans Evolve from the very island they're on.

17. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Black Lightning by John Saul. It was about a serial killer's ghost that possessed people and cut people's chests open. Sounds creepy, but if you like thrillers/horrors, definitely check it out.

18. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gerhard Meier's Isle of the Dead.

The novel is set in Switzerland and has two old friends (Baur and Bindschaedler), at its centre, who met while being in the army. The two men walk through the streets of the city Amrein. While they are walking, strolling at times and taking in their surroundings, Baur speaks to Bindschaedler continually, recalling the past, and revealing information about his family and distant relatives who have died due to illnesses. The conversation (if one can call it that) turns into a reflections on mortality, and life itself. While Baur speaks, Bindschaedler reflects quietly on the words said.

The novel stands out from other novels I have read. The main characters in speaking about the past and reflecting on what was said, made references to paintings, landscapes, as well as the works of classical composers, all of which was woven into the broader conversation and reflection on mortality.

I appreciated the details about what Bindschaedler saw while they were walking. At times, the description was so well done that I got the feeling of walking beside the two characters and being able to observe the cityscape.

19. RadioRoss

The last book I read was The Help. The only problems i really had with the book was that some of the problems were just solved by coincidence, rather than characters actually trying to do something to solve whatever was going on. But the characters...man, the characters are what make this book. Each character is very well developed, and although there are some cliches, I have to say that the book sort of acknowledges them, or adds more specific characteristics to build on that familiar kind of character.

20. pixelfrontier

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man.
    The novel is about a day in the life of a middle-aged gay man, an English professor in Southern California whose partner recently passed away. The book was written in the 60s, so it was controversial when it was first published. It does go well beyond LGBT themes though, portraying a protagonist that is defined by his humanity and not his sexuality.