1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. Biotech49

I'm reading The 19th Wife. I like reading about people getting out of the clutches of fundamentalist religions.

2. IzCassie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've been reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series, although it's been put on hold until I can find the rest of the books. They're great, but you can never find them all in one place, which is really irritating.

3. Stripe101

I had to read House of the Scorpion for school. It was alright. I wish the second half of the book was a full book on it's own. I would have loved to learn more about the Keepers.

4. waders

waders Guest

i'm currently reading the golden compass

5. The Infernal City

It's an Elder Scrolls novel. Anybody that knows fantasy role-playing video games will most likely know the Elder Scrolls series. This was a novel made to be apart of the lore, and there was a 2nd book after it but I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet.

I'm personally not a big reader, I only picked up this book because it was related to one of my favorite video games series.

6. person57

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    crime and punishment - Dostoevsky

8. midnightfire08

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm starting Middlemarch by George Elliot. Before that, I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusack and George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

10. Pocky

Ok so 'The Book Theif' seems to have become one of those must-read-or-be-forced-to-read-at-school-anyway-type books.

Did you enjoy it?

11. DesertTortoise

I started a thread on the LGBT Later in Life thread. Not a general reading thread, but specific to Queer issues, and for those inclined to more radical sexual politics, consciousness & spirituality. Not sure how to link... I'll paste what I wrote here, and if you're interested, you might want to join that discussion.
    ---
    There's so much to learn, so much terrifying, beautiful, inspiring history. Learning where we have been is way important--especially if you're anti-assimilation and want to embrace your Queer.

Reading, and went a recent discussion of Stone Butch Blues, and reading The Fire in Moonlight: Stories from the Radical Faeries. Facinating parallel movements and development of Queer consciousness, the first being a personal memoir and history covering Butch - Femme issues, the second ... well, Radical Faeries, and both take on a deep and serious look at the oppressive and dangerous role hetero-gendering plays, not just for LGBTQ, but as one of the fundaments of patriarchy and capitalist tyrany.

It all begins with the body, and SEX is the generative force--but what is generated is SO much larger and deeper than who we sleep with. This may not interest those who basically, want to blend in and 'normalize' being gay, but if that's a prospect that horrifies you, as it does me--there's lots to learn, and a role we can take in creating a more inclusive and loving spirituality and consciousness.

I'd love to hear from others on this--those who identify more with the radical side of our sexuality.

On this note... I had an amazing day yesterday. Thinking how it took me so long to find myself... and how, no matter how long and circuitous the journey, when you finally arrive home, nothing of that journey will be lost or wasted, because every step of it led you to where you belong. And I thought... Ulysses! Yes! I found my Faerie name!

12. Hyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it would be Game of Thrones Dance of Dragons George RR Martin

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God yes! I cried three times, all within very close time. :tears: So sad, but definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

14. zbjj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm currently reading The Last Viking: The Life of Roald Amundsen by Stephen R. Bown. I had heard of Amundsen and Scott's "race" to reach the South Pole, but never knew much else about either of them. Amundsen was a fascinating individual and what I've read so far has done a lot to dispel any notions I might have had that there was a "hero" or "villain" in that affair.

Before that I read Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm on a big Vonnegut kick this year which has meant a lot of great reading for me, but alas it will soon come to an end. I've almost read everything my public library has of his work. Oh, and I've started reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Good stuff.

15. Zac

Zac

Grow your pups with bones.....
    I rarely read

16. Linguistic_Geek

I just finished "Shorecliff" and am now reading "Dark Places". Shorecliff was a bit of a let down. But Dark Places is so good, I'm having trouble putting it down to get work done!

17. FightingShadows

Refuse by Elliott Deline
    Currently reading: Dear Girls Above Me by Charlie McDowell

18. James1991

James1991 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just finished "The Secret Adversary" by Agatha Christie and "Unbearable Lightness" by Portia De Rossi within a few days of each other. Both were pretty good reads.

19. sigurros652

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the last book I read was Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford.

20. Kat kanu

green eyed demon