1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last book you read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, May 1, 2009.

1. Yeah it can be a polarizing book! My favourite by him would have to be Suttree, it's actually funny and Suttree is one of my favourite characters period. I still think Blood Meridian is his best but Suttree is my favourite if that makes any sense. Also a note on Child of God if the violence in Blood Meridian was too much well...be prepared. I don't know how much you know about Child of God but it's about a necrophiliac rapist and is honestly one of the only books that really disturbed me. Not "oh god that's horrible" disturbing, rather "I'm going to go put this book under the couch where I can't see it and go think happy thoughts" disturbing.

2. Double post but I've just finished The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. Loved it! Thought it was excellently written and extremely well paced. Ending got me a little misty eyed.

3. Bear

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm currently reading The City of Ash by Cassandra Clare pretty good so far :3

4. Pyrotactick

Some excerpts of the Odyssey, reading Shakespeare Julius Caesar, having nerd-gasms all the time o_o

5. Tabb

Fire by Kristin Cashore. Currently reading The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga! :3

6. Ticklish Fish

Fundamentals of Chemistry

not gonna look at edition and authors. pretty sure i read like 90% of the book not counting problems and intro

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're reading No Country for Old Men.. It's like the Power of One: It has some very interesting parts, but it gets bland as fuck for a long time.

8. Emberstone

thats why you rent the movie...

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... it's a class requirement.

10. Totoro

The Monk, by M. Lewis.
    My $0.02 can be translated into a face: :confused:
    A very extreme book, with twists and turns... but rather cliché too. Very much a Gothic book, and a definite recommendation to anyone who enjoys them. Be warned it's a book from the late 1700s!

11. Hiems

I'm in the middle of reading Hero by Perry Moore and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I'm focusing more on Hero though, because it's so good, and I want to finish it. I like the gay superhero idea... I haven't read anything like it. There are superhero comics that contain gay characters, but I'm not really a comic fan.

So far I'm enjoying both books :slight_smile:

12. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Life of Pi, by Yann Martel

~ pretty good, they are making a movie

13. shaunnaj84

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know its probably pretty absurd to admit this but I read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter or whatever it is called... it was actually really good and I have a weakness for vampire anything... I would love to find out some good books that deal with lesbian characters though. So if anyone has any suggestions on MUST READ lesbian novels... LET ME KNOW PLZ!

14. Lad123

It was a few months ago but the last book I read was The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I thought it was a very original concept and probably one of the best books I have read in a long time. He is such an amazing writer! I read his Night Angel Trilogy beforehand and they were truly captivating.

15. I moved The Perks of Being A Wallflower up my list, bit disappointing but yeah it was alright.

6/10

Not my type of book to begin with really.

Next Up:

Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young really excited for this one! Neil Young is one of my favourite musicians.

16. Andrew91

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A Night To Remember

It's a book with first-hand accounts about the sinnking of the Titanic. I couldn't stop reading this until I finished it in two days, I love material about the Titanic.

17. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    "La Historia del Rey Transparente" (don't remember the name of the autor right now, may edit when I look at it).

May be translated as "Transparent King's Story". Still among the first 100 pages, so I still don't get where the story is going, but it engaged me for the pages I've read, so it's reallly interesting.

Before it, I finished "Wind through the Keyhole" from Stephen King. A good last travel with the Ka-Tet of 19.

18. Emberstone

The last book I finished was Mockingjay, and frankly, it was a utter disappointment. it took such a dramticly dark turn that it didnt sync up with the first too books, and the ending was too disturbing for my taste; I didnt expect sunshine, daisies, and unicorns farting cheeseburgers, but I did not expect for katnis to go into a total psychotic meltdown.

19. SunshineBree

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it was Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff (Not sure about the author name) It was good but I was hoping for more historical fiction then a biography. I love Cleopatra so I've read everything I can get my hands on about her which just made the book a little dull for me but well written.

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2012 at 05:25 PM ----------

I actually almost bought that book the other day I was just a little concerned if it was going to be gory...?? I know there are a few Vampire Lesbian books by a woman named Pam Keesey. I've only read one I enjoyed it just never got around to reading any of the other.

20. vyvance

Debt of Bones by Terry Goodkind.