1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anxiety

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by tazzie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey was just wondering what is the main sort of prescription drug that can help calm nerves and stuff down,cause like atm im like freaking out my anxiety is playing up and i think its about time i go see a doctor and try prescription drugs again cause atm i cant get to sleep and i just feel like getting in the car and just drive? sorry for fail grammar also

2. Ben

Ben

If it's a prescription drug then the doctor should be able to make the best judgement for your situation. I'm sorry you feel this way though (*hug*) If you want to rant or vent then it's okay.

3. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks invisible,hopefully i get something cause so over this feeling it really sucks.

4. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you have anxiety, you may think that drugs are the only option. However the UK's National Institute for Clinical Excellence has recently advised doctors that medication should not be the first course of action for most people suffering from symptoms of anxiety. And counselling should be considered as a treatment for anxiety before drugs.

This is great news, because the drug option does not work for everyone. Only one in three people will find relief from their symptoms and many will suffer unpleasant side effects. They can cause sexual dysfunction, weight gain, gastric upset, disrupted sleep and anxiety symptoms. Especially when you first start taking them.

If you and your doctor conclude that the drug option is best for you, look at visiting a counsellor as well. Leave no stone unturned on your path back to feeling well again.

Benzodiazepines Diazepam, valium, alprazolam and lorazepam Are drugs prescribed for a short time to relieve anxiety. Doctors are reluctant to offer them for more than two to four weeks as they are addictive and have many side effects such as:

* Sleepiness, lethargy
    * Memory problems
    * Dry mouth
    * Blurred vision

All benzodiazepines relieve anxiety (anxiolytic) but some act as sleeping agents too. They are put into categories according to whether they are long or short acting. This is dependant on how quickly the body breaks down and eliminates the medication.

Antidepressants
    Some people will be really surprised when their doctor prescribes an antidepressant for symptoms of anxiety. But the neurotransmitters that are responsible for anxiety also influence depressive conditions, so it makes sense that they can be used for both.

Developed in the 1950's these drugs all work in different ways to affect the amount of neurotransmitter serotonin available in between the synaptic nerves in the brain. The drugs are now divided into three main categories

1. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors SSRI'S paroxitine (Paxil) fluroxetine, sertraline, citralopram and fluvoxamine. Widely prescribed because they are a 'safer.'
    2. Selective Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors SNRI'SVeneflaine (Effexior) Regular medical monitoring will be required
    3. Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors MOI'S Phenelzine tranylaypromine

These are the oldest class of antidepressants and have more side effects than the above, so a doctor will most likely try one of the above in the first instance

Busprone Buspar (Azapirone) This is usually prescribed for a short period. You will not become dependant on it as you might a benzodiazepine but can take at least six weeks before you notice any improvement. It has a sedative effect, so will not be prescribed when sedation or impairment of the psychomotor movements would be dangerous. Side effects are normally found at the beginning of the course of treatment and are generally alleviated by lowering the dose or as treatment goes on.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine and as such can make people sleepy. So it is used as a short term prescriptive drug for anxiety around specific events like an operation.

Beta Blockers
    Used for the treatment of high blood pressure and a racing heart, they can be effective for anxiety over something specific. For instance if you were anxious over a future presentation or exam

Hope this help's! xxx

5. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for that info XXXX,apprecaited.

6. Zac4

i found prozac in the cabinet and i gotta admit ive been in a good mood since sat. :icon_bigg

maybe u can try that.

7. LiquidAxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel obligated to say that taking serious prescription medications such as SSRIs or SNRIs (of which Prozac is one) without medical supervision is dangerous.

Also, typically these drugs need to be taken over a period of time before their effect is realized through neurotransmitter stabilization. In other words, popping a random Prozac and feeling better can be credited entirely to placebo.

8. manoverboard09

Make sure you go to your doctor to get a prescription, but I'm on Luvox and enjoy it. Although when you first start taking it you'll have negative sexual side affects as in not being able to get off. But it goes away with time.

If your doctor puts you on zoloft, request something else. Zoloft makes you a zombie.. hence the z in the name I guess! But yeah. Luvox works wonders for me :slight_smile: It's mainly for depression and OCD but I also have anxiety that it helps very well with!

9. tazzie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    THanks for all the Reply's apprecaited,can u actually consume alcohol whilst taking meds? if i get prescribed any gunna book in to see a doc in the next couple of days.

10. manoverboard09

Uhh no. No alcohol. That'll just fuck with the anxiety pills. Water works best :slight_smile:

11. KaraBulut

Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor- these are all anti-depressants. They have a side-effect of increasing anxiety in many people. They would not be something that would be prescribed for anxiety.

OP should make an appointment with his doctor to discuss his symptoms. The key will be to determine the cause and find the appropriate treatment.

12. manoverboard09

Well increased anxiety just depends on the person. Sometimes a person needs therapy/medication. Although I know of a therapist in my area that is more of a tree hugging therapist.. she made one of my friends stop taking her meds. That made everything worse. So in other words, once you start an anti-depressant or anxiety medication do not go off of it! Not all at once anyway. But your doctor will tell you all of that good stuff. I hope.

13. panda

#13 panda, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  14. Zac4

ya thats probly true.
    but if the bottle says take 1 every morning and its 20 mg.
    would that be the same for a guy too?