1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

religion + homosexuality = possible?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alex19, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Apocalypte

It's threads like this which make me relieved that I was certain I was an atheist before I was certain that I'm gay!

2. Just Adam

its threads liek this that makes me wonder humanity more than usual why do we live by how a book tells us how did it get so weird

3. Alex19

many ppl have said some great things and truthful things, but to those who arent religious, well some ppl are. it may seem stupid to u but ppl do find comfort in the existance of God. i most certainly believe in him, even though i get extremely angry with him or even think that maybe he doesnt exist sometimes, but hey, you dont have to believe. and ive kinda heard some condecending things already on here and would really appreciate it if things like that werent to be said. sorry to bitch, but i didnt make this post for ppl to put down other ppls beliefs.

4. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I get that some people are religious. I just think that you can be much freer and at ease with yourself without God. I certainly am. I get that people take comfort in God. Heck, I did once too.

I don't mean to be rude. I just want everyone who is battling with their religion to know that you don't have to combine your sexuality with the bible/koran/whatever. You don't have to cave in to comfort and blissful ignorance. You can just say, "Screw religion! I'm going to live my life." :slight_smile:

It is my opinion that all those struggling with religion should rethink their views of God. And I believe it's a valid opinion to express in this thread.

5. James

For everyone that can't watch the videos, try downloading this program (it will work on any internet browser). Once you're done watching it, close the program as it does slow your internet down a bit and shows an ad.

http://hotspotshield.com/

If you have a problem with the program, feel free to send me a PM. :slight_smile:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same here. For me, religion doesn't seem possible period, but...ehh.

7. xequar

I haven't seen one condescending comment on this thread. I completely get that some people are religious. I mentioned in the other religious-themed thread that I used to be a hardcore evangelical Christian.

What I did see were a couple of brave souls advocating that people actually THINK about their beliefs instead of just blindly accepting them and trying to mold themselves and their beliefs to fit each other, which is exactly what far too many Christians and religious-type people do. They never THINK about what they're being taught. They just accept it, and then they bitch when someone even slightly suggests that there might be alternatives and it might be worth using a brain cell or two to consider them.

There, NOW there's some condescending comments, and I ain't done yet.

Ultimately, if you want to be a Christian or a Muslim or a Pastafarian or a member of Second Our Lady of St. Bob Fundamentalist Evangelical Free Reformed Temple of Latter-Day Thursdays or believe some other crazy shit entirely, then have a ball. But, if you haven't actually THOUGHT about and CONSIDERED what it is you actually believe, I would assert that you have no belief at all and you're not much more than a spiritual meat-puppet being manipulated by some pastor/priest/rabbi/pirate captain/pope/Vice Director of Creation Management/whatever into opening your wallet and closing your mind.

Like I said, THINK. THINK about what you believe. My personal beliefs aren't really relevant to this conversation because although I've found some combination that works for me, it's a personal prescription. I considered and thought and prayed and read and researched long and hard to figure out what I actually believe. I KNOW what I believe, and my beliefs are actual beliefs, not a set of craptacular doctines spoon-fed to me by someone who's salary and housing are paid for by my monetary droppings into the offering plate.

THINK about what you believe and believe what you ACTUALLY believe, not what someone TELLS you to believe. Find what ACTUALLY fits you and makes sense for you, instead of just trying to shove yourself into something that isn't a good fit. If Christianity works out to be that good fit, hey, good for you! I've seen it happen before, with amazing results.

8. Alex19

ok, im pretty sure that religious gay ppl THINK about it. most likely everyday. so i dont know what your getting at... and obviously i made this post for those who r struggling with it to find out if thats what they want. i respect everyones opinion whether or not i agree with it but, i did read some that sounded condecending and i dont mean to be nasty/rude/or a bitch about it b/c id rather not get into arguements about it (or anything for that matter) but thats just they came off to me as. i realise that it may not have been intended, which is why im not angry or upset about it, but i just wanted to say how i thought it was coming off as. once again, sorry to sound like a bitch.

9. kettleoffish

I myself am a church-going agnostic homosexual. I don't know if there is a God, and that is probably irrelevant, but my church is a fairly liberal one (by US standards, a ridiculously liberal one). We have close links to a group called Affirmation Scotland, a Christian group whose mission is to have homosexuality accepted by the church. I think the two can mix perfectly well. It is not Christ's teachings that condemn homosexuality, it is Christianity's. I think that Jesus would be ashamed of what is done 'in his name'. I think it would make him deeply sorry to be the figurehead of such a hateful group as many so-called Christian groups are.

#29 kettleoffish, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. Alex19

i totally agree. i couldnt have said it better myself. and thats the kinda church i would join.

11. AgnisFlame

Pastafarian+Transsexuality+homosexuality=Al

12. RainbowDude

RainbowDude Guest

For me, reconciling God with my sexuality was something that I struggled with. Then I started to go to a church that was accepting of LGBT people and realised that God created us lovingly. I feel that the bible is often misquoted as verses are taken out of context in order to form a homophobic opinion.

Overall, churches are going in the right direction and becoming more accepting of however there will always be denominations and religions that will never accept LGBT people.

So, I think that it is possible to be LGBT and religious.

13. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a Christian. I like the same sex. It doesn't matter if I'm dating a man because I'll always be attracted to women.

I think its important to feel loved by God and in your community... Otherwise we are bankrupt. Love is the greatest commandment dear... It's true.

Many people criticized who Jesus spent time with. Most "religious" people wouldn't get near them because they were "beneath" them. And they were called Pharisees. Jesus wasnt cruel to anyone the way he was to the Pharisees. Why? They had no humility or love. Everything had to be by the book. The "rules" became more important than the people. Unfortunately those people will exist but it doesnt have to end your relationship with God.

14. Alex19

Man... I made this thread a lifetime ago... Needless to say I am a completely different person. Reading back, I see now the point the nonbelievers made, especially now that I am one. Have been for quite some time now and I gotta say, the free feeling I got from releasing myself from the shackles of faith has been amazing. I still give props to those who hold on to their faith but honestly, when it comes to organized religion, there is no place in it for us. Not in the way our straight counterparts are, at least.

15. Aurelia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
  16. TheSeeker

Wow, reading through this thread, I have to say that I'm impressed to see how you've come full circle in a few short years. I'm in the same boat as you really, and it's difficult to say whether or not it feels more liberating to be out of the closet, or free of my faith...

Congrats man,

-The Seeker

17. Alex19

Yea i know what you mean. Freeing yourself from the shackles is pretty liberating, but also slightly burdening. I assume youve heard the "only sober person in the car but nobody will give you the keys" expression before, right? lol thats how it feels in regards to living in a very religious world with religious people making all the decisions ha

18. MeepMoop

i dont know... i guess so..... and vid is kapput

19. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Believe it or not, the bible doesn't really say anything about homosexuality. That was a western interpretation. The word that was being translated to mean that was actually very ambiguous, and it appeared to mean a demeaning, hostile relationship rather than a homosexual one.

20. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is all so terribly relatable. It reminds me a lot of how I used to be and how I've went a full circle myself. I still feel bad for all the stupid things I said when I was younger, that hurt so many people. I can't even remember what I said, or who I said it to...

All I know is I live in a hyper religious area, so very few people are out of the closet. When I was younger, there was maybe one gay guy out in the entire school... Everybody was a complete asshole to him. Back when I was still religious, I did the very same thing thinking it was somehow helping... boy, was I wrong.