1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Think That Gay Pride Parades Just Perpetuate The 'Gay' Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tazz, Mar 8, 2009.

?

I Believe Gay Pride

1. Helps our cause

37.0%
  2. Negates our cause

32.5%
  3. No opinion/undecided

30.5%
  1. RainbowJay

I missed something D:
    guh, I always miss something...

personally, I think that these kind of parades just show how we're not afraid to be ourselves
    the drag queens, the half-naked men and such, they're just like all of us and they're brave enough to be out and about with it :icon_wink

the population of simply dressed LGBT peeps may be greater than the one's that dress up to amaze, but that doesn't mean we can't just simply enjoy the celebration and fun

if heterosexuals can flaunt their sexuality, then why can't we?
    it's almost the only time we can do it without being attacked, insulted and such :slight_smile:

2. xequar

Wow, miss a few days, miss a lot! Oh well.

3. Mr Bojangles

I think gay pride should just be a celebration of Gayness and it should be a good laugh to go and watch. (Which they are). But they're not the right way to get our rights across to the politicians - we need a Martin Luther King of the Gay Movement, someone who can get everyone on board. Gay pride to draw people in, then once we have their attention: BAM with the politics.

4. Jekko

i dunno how i stumbled here but Gay Pride definately helps more than negates.
    Sure its a very flamboyant and stereotypical drag queen show but it's a recognition. A recognition and awareness that being gay or being different is here and real! BOoOOYA!

5. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No.

Seriously, look at a gay pride parade again. It's just a parade of stereotypes. It doesn't help "the cause" at all. Men in leather, rainbows, drags....etc. I'm not saying it's all a bad thing, but when you put all these stereotypes in one spot and parade it down a city street, well then what the fuck are people supposed to think?

They do not help the cause. If anything, they give people more of a reason to want to get rid of us. Flame me all you want but I don't want people thinking I'm like that. I'm not drag, I hate leather, rainbows suck, I'm just a bisexual guy. THAT'S IT!

I understand everyone is into "Freedom of speech" and "We're here and we're queer" but if these parades did good then maybe I wouldn't get shit about it everytime a parade is shown on TV. People stereotype me or my boyfriend like we jump on a float in leather or pink underwear wearing rainbows and start dancing to a madonna or cher song.

I would rather sit and enjoy a really good football game, then be, or watch, a Gay Stereotype Parade.

/facepalm

And really? It shows that we are different? Oh yeah, that's a good thing!:dry: Since when has humanity EVER liked anything that was different!?

Because walking down a street with men in leather, pink underwear, rainbows, with a giant penis float with madonna or cher playing, with ass and dick all over the place is a way to get freedom.

In short, these parades make people want to get rid of us more. Help the cause? Yeah, sure. You wanna get freedom? Get out of the leather and pink underwear and march to Washington in something respectable and show the politicians what you want.

Gay pride? LOL! They do more harm to us than good.

#185 Tokarov, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. Mr Bojangles

I wholeheartedly agree! You sir, have a very similar point of view to myself :grin:

7. Greggers

Whoever bumped this thread...

[​IMG]

Anyone who has a beef with pride can kiss my big fat gay ass :slight_smile: Thats my new position. I dont care if your gay and hate pride cause your too afraid of what people might think of you or if your straight and you think im a hellbent sinner. Ive been to pride now and i have no doubt in my mind its a good thing. So this retarded thread that caused so much shit back when it started can go rot in some database. I know im right, and thats good enough for me. :slight_smile:

8. xequar

This again?

Tokarov, you have an opinion. It is wrong.

Thread, die. Painfully.

9. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like you're one of those guys in leather in pink underwear. Sorry if I hit it home with you.

Gay pride parades are part of the reason we never are taken seriously when it comes to getting equal rights.

AND THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I lol @ u

And if you don't want a thread to be here, maybe you should get it deleted or locked. Nimrod.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Seriously, look at a gay pride parade again. It's just a parade of stereotypes.

Someone's obviously never been to one. And presumably will never go to one. Which is just as well.

I've already made my points in this thread. And if you choose not to go back and read them, or to attempt to understand them, I'm not going to waste my time reiterating them simply for your benefit.

Lex

11. Mickey

I agree with this 100%. The only thing I can add is,Great Post! :thumbsup:

12. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Nope never been and never will. It's like when you see a movie preview on TV. You decide whether you want to go or not by what you see in the preview....and according to this preview, I would rather have my eyes dug out of my face with a spoon.

"I know I'm right and that's good enough for me." That line made me literally "lol" and they call me the arrogant troll.

13. Greggers

Or like when you look at a book and because the color of the cover is just not doing it for you you decide not to read it, i get what your saying :slight_smile: Who needs to actually experience something if your just going to judge it blindly anyways.

14. Maggi

i think to a certain degree it is, but it is all bout having fun right? so who cares what people think?

15. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ^^ If the cover ain't good then the publishing house didn't put enough time into it saying it's not that important.

I based modern books on covers since there's so many that I need something that grabs now.

Gay pride has a good cover though but I don't think I want to be involve much...

16. Mickey

IMO! I think that people who feel uncomfortable with those who "act"gay need to realize one thing. The same kind of people "acted" gay AND brought us to where we are today!
    Does anyone seriously think that it was just the " men in suits gays" that got us all the attention and brought our rights to where they are now?
    It was the "in your face,I don't give a shit what you think,FLAMBOYANT" people that did this! (okay,maybe a few suits,too!)
    These are the SAME people you should THANK for the rights we now have and how far we've gotten!
    I swear,some of these posts seem to ME,to have a little bit of internalized homophobia in them! I,for one,will NEVER hide who I am and I sure as hell don't expect others to,either!
    Remember all the gay people, who were fighting for our rights,before some of us were even born! And...that's all I have to say,about that!

17. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    pride is awesome, it definitely helps the cause. similar to how there's a black history month :wink:

18. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fun? Yeah when African Americans marched on Washington they didn't do it for freedom they did it for the fun. :dry:

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go drink a beer, watch a football game with my boyfriend, and scratch myself. That's my "Gay Pride" I'm not even joking.

Sorry if leather, pink underwear, madonna and chear songs, and drag isn't my idea of winning equal rights.

Somebody lock this thread already. It's just arguing between people who like pride and those who don't. Just lock it so the drama can go away.

19. Amy

Amy

I really don't understand this argument.

It's based on the idea that everyone with homosexual attractions is a gay-rights activist.
    Yea, I know what you're saying right now. "That's not what I said!"
    Well, it kind of is. You're arguing that gay pride is bad because it creates and enforces stereotypes. Well, not everyone who goes to Pride really gives a shit about what people think of them. Actually, that's the point of Pride; to be in an environment where you can be as flamboyant as you fucking wish, without anyone caring.

But I digress. Back to the gaping flaws in the anti-Pride argument.

Pride is all about expression and freedom (Freedom of expression! It's so Constitutional.). And, to me, it seems comepletely ridiculous to take away something from the public is disgusting. Especially if that something is about freedom.

That's what it seems like you are arguing for. Correct me if I am wrong.

(This is a horribly constructed post. Forgive me. I am in a shity mood, but this just had to be said.)

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

I think those against "stereotype gays" or whatever, are just as bad if not worse than homophobes.

Newsflash: Diversity. It exists within the GLBT culture too. Get over it.

And PRIDE is a reaction to OPPRESSION. GLBT youth are FAR more likely to committ/attempt suicide, what the hell is the matter with giving them some pride to feel good about themselves. Pride wouldn't exist if homosexuality was accepted like heterosexuality.

----------

Ohh, amen :slight_smile:

I agree. Telling gays they need to be a certain way is the same as saying people NEED to be straight.

----------

The far right has an issue with any parade that displays sex. It isn't purely because we are homosexual. For pride parades to not be "icky" American culture needs to be revamped and not so SKEEEEERED of nudity and showing our bodies, and sexuality. OBviously since our culture IS homophobic sexuality is something "scary" especially homosexuality. Even more so because of the binary messages sent to youth about being sexy yet remaining celibate.

Add homophobia on top of that, and there's the perfect recipe for uniting right wingers and gays against other GLBT individuals. Congrats, the right wingers are getting exactly what they want.