1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't believe what just happened - I don't do surprises!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kayar, Mar 2, 2009.

1. kayar

:smilewave Hi guys, Oh what a night!

First, I need to tell you that I am the type of person who does his best to plan and prepare for just about everything in advance. I DON'T DO SURPRISES!

Soooo, Monday night (it's now 11.10pm here in the UK) is my regular weekly club night at a photographic society that I joined last year (not because I'm a great photographer, but because I wanna get better). We stop about half way through the evening for a coffee and a chat. Well, I started talking to a girl member I'd known briefly before tonight over our coffee. I began telling her of some of the fun non 'coming out' threads (in Chit-Chat and Fun & Games) that we have all been enjoying lately, but without giving any clue as to what the core theme is at EC (I didn't name it either).

Then out of the blue she said, "What's this web-site called?"

Ahhhh! Do you know what, all I could do was panic! I said something like, "Oh it's a themed site and I don't really want to go any further than that!" Which she politely if a little awkwardly accepted.

Yeah, go on then - all together "COWARD!"

Sooooo, it was now time to return to our seats and resume the night's competition. I sat there feeling really stupid - I mean it! I've posted a lot on EC about how I want to 'come out' and advised many of you guys how you should do it; and then when I'm given a perfect opportunity - I back down. Drrhhh! :eusa_doh:

Ahhhhh, but all was not lost. I very quickly regained my composure, and to my surprise decided that I was going to go back to her as soon as the competition was over to put things right.

Thennnnn, the competition ended and I went straight over to her and said; "Nicky, I'm sorry I behaved really stupidly back there about that web-site."

She said, "No not at all, that's all right it was none of my business really."

To which I came back with, "No it WAS stupid, but it just caught me off-guard. The web-site is a support network for people who are 'coming out'. I mean that's the whole point why I've joined the web-site in the first place and my reaction to your question was stupid. I am sorry, and there - I've come out to someone tonight now!" :eusa_danc

And that's exactly as it happened!

We chatted for another five minutes or so, during which she said "well done" (not that I was really looking for praise, this journey is for me and I'm beginning to feel proud - I like that feeling).

Wowwwwww!

Hey guys, I'm still shaking a little even now; I can't believe what I just did! But not because of being scared or anything, I feel really excited by it all. I'm buzzing! (!)

Hey, perhaps I can do surprises!

Thanks for reading, I love you guys so much. :kiss:

#1 kayar, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kenny, I am so so happy for you!! Every little bit of coming out is a step closer to becoming the butterfly within enabling you to finally spread your wings and fly. That is just so cool for you. I can only imagine how you feel and at our age, i think PROUD is the word. Another part of the horrible past shucked into the darkness as it were. You've only just begun.....Luv ya, Kenny

Hey everyone, this boy is walking Proud!:thumbsup:

3. EM68

That is great. :thumbsup: You should be very proud of yourself!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! You can definitely do surprises!! :slight_smile:

5. Greggers

Haha thats exactly that me - NO surprises(or awkward...)

I mean, i even memorize what im going to say to the lady at McDonalds before i order and make sure i have a pre-memorized reply to everything she could say back. Im slightly OCD about talking to people, so i always have everything planned out. Maybe not exactlly like you, but i get were your coming from.

...and so i know how amazing that must have been! That takes real guts to to, congrats :slight_smile: Now it just gets easier and easier...

6. Lizz K

Sometimes it's easier to come out when it's not planned! Takes away a lotta the nerves. Well done!

7. Bryan44

Awesome!! Congrats :slight_smile:

8. Alex19

hell yes! well done!

9. James2612

WOW - Congratulations! That is such great news!
    You must be on top of the world!

1 down, you should be proud! You have done it once, i hope this makes it easier for you when telling others!! Now you can say with pride that you have come out to some one!!

Again, i am thrilled for you!!!

10. gaius

gaius Guest

well done !

11. biisme

Congratulations!!!!! It's great that you had the courage to go bring it up again afterwards. That must have been hard. (*hug*)

12. Mickey

Good for you! It's so freeing,once you start,it's hard to stop! Carry on!

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!

We should get a disclaimer up on the front page: reading this website can have unforeseen consequences! :wink:

And doing surprises can be hard (I'm one of those people that prepares for every little conversation as well). But they sure can be nice!

14. Courtneyyy

That's awesome. And that's a great story.

15. Janvier

Yay !!
    Congrats on your first steps coming out to people :grin:
    I'm glad you've got that feeling of satisfaction and starting to feel comfortable telling others :slight_smile:

16. LorenzG1950

Good work Kayar,

It is a challenge to respond honestly when you are caught off guard. The main thing is that you had the courage to tell her. Congratulations!

I’ve been “caught” like that a few times lately. At my local bar, a lady was talking about the gay DJ who works there regularly, turned to me and asked, “You aren’t one of those are you?” I hesitated a moment and said, “Ummmm, yes I am”. I just made a mental decision not to deny my homosexuality when someone asks. She was surprised but is cool with it. I just haven’t had a chance to meet the gay DJ yet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. aussie paul

wow, good on ya! we are similar ages too, wish I could come out like you, man. it is really difficult, I told a few people last year. But glad i did. Paul

18. riddlerno1

Thats amazing, these things do sometimes have a tendency to happen when you least expect it and that courage raises by a miniscule amount which prompts you into saying something! Its liek a now or never moment, and you chose now!!

Congrats!!

19. hiddendc4

Congrats on the success, when I came out to some of my friends that's pretty much how it happened lol. Just talkin about random stuff and then I blurted it out lol. Congrats again and keep that feeling of satisfaction when attemting to come out to other people in your life.