1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too good to be true.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JT, Mar 2, 2009.

1. JT

JT

Okay, so it's been quite some time, guys. I've been lurking but not really posting, my time is limited lately :frowning2:

But here's the thing. I recently contacted this kid that had a thing with my friend a couple months back. He works in the same building as me. We started talking over facebook and eventually he just gave me his number.. We've been texting for all intensive purposes, non stop. He's been txting me, which is different. Normally I'm the one to try to make conversation. People are trying to say there might be something there. But, I don't see it.. Personally I think he's just being friendly. Cause first off, we've only met once, and that was while he was having a fling with my friend. It was an awkward situation to say the least. Secondly I really do feel that he's wayyyyyyyyyy out of my league. Story of my life. He's gonna come visit me at work before he leaves. I'm kinda nervous haha.

2. RaRa

Is he gay/bi? I'm assuming he is.

But you say he's the one starting the conversation, so I think he likes you. =)

Give it a try, it can't hurt right? :slight_smile:

Good luck!

3. Jim1454

Things that are too good to be true often are...

That's not to say that he's out of your league. You might be out of his. You say he had a 'thing' and a 'fling' with your friend a couple of months ago. So this 'thing' obviously didn't last long. Was this 'thing' a sexual encounter? A quickie? A 'hook up'?

If so, could that be what he's looking to get from you?

Is that what you're looking for as well?

That's why I say that you might be out of his league. You might want something meaningful. A friendship that grows into a relationship that then expands to include physical intimacy.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to say. No need to be nervous really. He might just want to chat and show you in person that he's interested in getting to know you better. Just be aware of what his motivations might be.

4. Alex19

if he likes u, way to go! i wish some guy would like me... well, one that i would like back... the wrong ppl always crush on me. i guess i should b happy that i have that. :slight_smile:

5. JT

JT

Yes, he's gay. And it wasn't necessarily a hookup. They tried dating, but my friend is quite confused, and decided he didn't want to be in the relationship anymore.

He did admit he used to be a skank, but says he's now looking for the L word. I don't have any reason to not believe him at this point.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa, whoa. Slow down, kind sir.

You've started texting a guy, and he seems kinda friendly. Great. Right now, that's as much as you know. Don't go jumping ahead to picking out a china pattern, or thinking about which of you is gonna be the top just yet. Just treat it as it is right now. You've met a guy, you're texting, and things are going well. Leave everything else for the future. You'll get there soon enough. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

He's going to visit you at work before he leaves for where? Is he going to the UK, Canada or Brazil? And I think you may just be taking this a little out of proportion. I wouldn't so easily assume. Like Lex said, don't pick out the china pattern. Be direct, ask him if you have to but you're going to be really hurt when he misleads you into thinking he wants to be more than friends.

8. littledinosaurs

You need to get rid of this thought immediately, I've had plenty of people feel that "i am too good for them" and it annoys the hell out of me. Don't tell other people what's not good enough for them.
    Chances are if he likes and you like him just GO for it. Don't tell him that he's too good for you or don't let yourself think you don't deserve him.
    If you keep thinking like that then you will only get in your own way and ruin what could be a great relationship!
    So i hope you take the chance and make it happen :slight_smile:

9. JT

JT

Yeah, he's friendly and constantly texts me and sends pics of himself (omg i could melt haha). And as far as I'm concerned, I'm treating this as if it's going to stay just friends unless I have some reason to believe otherwise.

No, we work in the same building. His shift was ending as mine began. We did meet up and he visited me for upwards of two and a half hours. I've known better than to get my hopes up at this point in my life.

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Are you sure he's not curious? I understand he may be vain or shallow but sending pics of himself, and may I inquire as to what they are of, would send me very mixed signals. I'd be very leery just incase he is sending you the signals. Even then you should becareful because you'll have to work with him and chances are you'll see him many more times. Do you want to live with knowing the good/bad things you share or do could haunt you at your workplace? I try very hard not to mix work/private life. It rarely works out for the better. :slight_smile:

11. JT

JT

Well that's not really a concern to me. You see, we never saw each other in the 2 years he's been working there. But then once we started talking, we made efforts to meet up with each other at specific times during the day. like lunch. and on another break. So it's not like it'd be a big deal if things did go sour. Not to mention, he works for a different company. Just same building

12. James2612

Good luck, Hope it all turns out good for you! Just be careful and listen to what others here have said!
    What ever happens you will learn some thing!!!

13. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

good luck, I'm horrible with advice myself when it comes to relationships, I seem to not be able to hold a guy for that long....just go with the flow- Don't worry.

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice would be to keep it friendly and go with the flow. If he wants to be friends with you, let it happen, and if it starts moving beyond that, awesome. He could well be interested in you, but if he isn't, you'll still have another good, platonic friend.

15. Alex19

yea, go with the flow. if he makes a move on u, you completely got yourself a man! but i have a ?, does he know your gay?

16. Peter

Why not invite him to go see a movie on Saturday? Not a date, just "I really would like to see ...., but don't want to go on my own. Do you want to come?" Maybe avoid something too obvious like "Milk", just something to enjoy, as mates.

17. Jim1454

Well, then it sounds like he's really interested in you! And why would you think he's out of your league?!? You're a decent looking guy if that's you in your avatar.

Remember, attitude is more important than looks. Your friend that he tried dating was 'confused' and in the end didn't want a relationship. Where as you - according to your 'out status' are more confident in yourself and your orientation, and therefore are more available to this guy. You don't have be here on EC long to know that sometimes it's tough to meet other gay guys when you're in your teens. He could be thrilled to have found someone (YOU!) that he can relate to.

Enjoy!

18. JT

JT

Thanks, Jim. I always love reading what you have to say :slight_smile:

And as perfect as you made that sound, there's just this thing that's always nagging me in the back of my mind. He's in college. And he could have pretty much anyone he wants. That being said. Here's the story.

Yesterday, we were talking, and I asked him what his plans were. He was just going to stay in for the night because he was exhausted. I invited him to come to a party with me, but he kindly declined. Not wanting to "intrude". Whatever, that's fine. I'm at the party and I get a text message from FBook saying that he wrote on my wall. So I started txting him. At this point, I'm pretty gone... Started a convo and we eventually got him talking about being bored and wanting to JO. I said I'd give him a helping hand. He said he'd let me know whenever his third arm needed to be rubbed.. Yeah, alcohol's really cool, kids.

And then after a couple more texts I remember him sending me something to the effect of "because if I was over there with you, getting drunk, you would probably wake up not a virgin". cool. I don't really know how I feel about that comment.

I'm just gonna talk to him about it after he gets out of work today. I don't want to right now because he can't text at work often and it'd make me anxious.

19. JT

JT

It was. And that's the end of that endeavor.
    Strictly platonic status.