1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athiest Advertising

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mcrteenagers, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ionless

it's just touchy really i think. it's probably not a big deal IMO though. Although i may be biased seeing as i'm an atheist, but then again there are people advertising christianity at my doorstep every sunday and i'm not really offended.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Well, there could be incentives. Like lower the price of fruits and veggies, and up the price of super junk foods. Perhaps tax breaks! Lower health insurance!!

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Dude. It already works that way. Unprocessed foods like fruit and veg, in Canada at least, are free from GST and PST (our sales taxes). Lower health insurance comes with being healthy; it's not based on what foods you buy.

There are incentives. But people want satisfaction right away. Sweets provide that. If you want to people to eat properly, you teach them it in schools when they are young. You don't tax them for making poor choices later in life. And besides all of that, eating junk food, just like gay marriage, is really nobody's business but the person(s) involved.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I dont live in Canada. . .

5. Greggers

I know in B.C you are taught year after year health and food in school. Junk food and pop is banned from schools too. From an early age its brainwashed into children.

...but good tasting good is always going to trump learning its bad for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

These athiest ads were made in retaliation to the Religion ads, so yes, i think they should be allowed.

I'd rather BOTH be banned, but that will never happen!

7. Peter

The same campaign was launched in London (England). The Methodist Church liked the sentence "there is *probably* no God" and decided that all discussion on this matter was beneficial. They, and many other Christian groups helped to finance the campaign.:lol: and :eusa_clap

8. StrataScribe

I second this. My atheism is nothing more than a label. Atheist = "simply does not believe in god" NOT "I'm gonna make it my daily priority to contemplate the way of the world and the rules that govern it". I don't read some Atheist Bible nor do I go to Atheist Conventions. All in all, I have far more pressing matters to deal with and my atheist attitude only comes out when the subject is brought up by someone else. Point is, atheists don't concern themselves with the matter on a daily basis unlike most religious people who do pray, read the bible, go to church everyday. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but as far as saying atheism is a religion? Nope. We don't have any practices. Just the believe that god doesn't exist. Nothing more. Nothing less.

9. Myke

Myke Guest

I heard about this, apparently it's coming to Calgary too. I really don't care haha

10. littledinosaurs

I kind of think that ad is hilarious.
    I don't find the ad offensive or unfair.
    i mean every time you see a church/temple or maybe even hear the bells in the tower of a church ring its almost like advertisement in itself.

11. LorenzG1950

I love these ads. I think the only way to combat the religious fanatics is to thwart them with humor and common sense.:slight_smile:

12. SamAlex728

Well, Eugene has a major state university, of course it's a lot more laid back, but in Junction City *the little town next to Eugene* and Harrisburg *the even smaller town on the other side of Junction City* IT IS RELIGIOUS HELL ON EARTH!!!!!

I was forced out of Harrisburg schools because I was always picked on, and religion was a factor, and we had to move to JC, not pretty, but definitely better. Conclusion: small towns (bad), cities with universities (better) when it comes to religion.....At least in Oregon.

13. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So obviously some tail feathers did get singed!! Funny how people without faith can get as defensive as those with faith. N'est ce pas?

14. olides84

Well when something is mis-identified, you want to correct it. Isn't that what we try to at EC in regards to everything about sexuality. There's just so much ignorance about atheism (or agnosticism or secularism or humanism). And atheists tend to be more looked down upon than gays at least in the US based on polls I've seen.

Anyway, I just read that most places in Canada have rejected these signs for buses - only Calgary and Toronto are allowing it.

15. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

That wasn't defensive or tail burning; I was just correcting your ridiculous assumption that not having a religion is the same as having one. I'm annoyed, but not offended.

16. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guess I have the advantage of having been around longer, and I'm not throwing that in anyone's face (last thing I need to be reminded of is aging), but having been on all sides of the playing field I can't quite agree with everthing. Intolerance is intolerance, no matter what Tshirt ya wear. Every body gets dumped on and everybody dumps on everybody else. Frankly I think it has a lot to do with people thinking maybe their standpoint is more important than others. I think we would all have a better planet to share if we did less chest beating about ALL of our personal beliefs (we being generic) and just lived our lives in more harmony. Alas t'is not to be, me fears.....Love everyone, respect everyone, and look at everyone as if they counted...they do.

17. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose ridiculous, would depend from what end of the spectrum one finds oneself. Anyway, we don't intend or need to get our blood pressure up. Why do you think our parents always chided us about never discussing sex or politics or religion??

18. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I also agree with her...despite our views on how dictatorship would further the health of our citizens. lol When you said that, I kinda felt some animosity. As if you yourself were the propagator. It seemed kinda defensive.

19. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have no idea what you're talking about, my parents have always encouraged open and honest discussion about any subject that comes up.

And I want to toss in one more thing: atheism is most certainly not "just another religion". An atheist does not revere any supreme beings or hold doctrines or attend services by a superior, or any of the things that define religion. Baldness is not a hair color. Abstinence is not a sexual position. Atheism is not a religion.

20. I didn't read through all the comments, so I'm sorry if someone already asked this, but...
    What exactly are they selling?
    :confused:

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I don't pay serious attention to advertising anyways.