1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox live bans gays

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the ry guy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. otc877

otc877 Guest

I think it's reasonable. I think it's to prevent things like this:
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alOnuN-wCY[/YOUTUBE]

So, I don't blame microsoft.

2. Greggers

Hehe i dont even like xbox (mainly because i dont play shooters or sports games) so it really does not affect me to much :slight_smile: Your right, this banter is not going to change anything (sadly :frowning2:) but its good banter none the less! And your right, Xbox gets to make there own rules. If Xbox wants to make dumb shitty rules, thats up to them. But i do think there has to be a cut-off point. There is aways a line you have to be aware of and make sure is not crossed. You cant decide that in my country, im not allowing any black people, just because its my own country. I do think there is a certain point were human rights and freedoms should interject. The three main ones being Race, Gender and Sexuality.

No one is above these laws. No one. No human being should be able to tell a black person he is worth less than the next guy because of the color of his skin. No human being should be able to tell a woman she is not as important because she does not have a penis. No human being should be able to tell a gay person that he has to hide in his closet or pay the price.

Atleast thats my "idealistic" view on things heh. I know i expect way too much from people and the world :slight_smile: but im happy dreaming in my mind that people are good and will eventually do the right thing, even though that little bubble gets burst every single day.

3. sdc91

Wow, I agree 100%. The comments in the vid got on my nerves, but I'm glad halogayboy can just shrug it off.

4. Greggers

I agree, very sad :frowning2: I just dont think the solution is to ban people who announce they are gay in the first place. Seems kind of ridiculous to me to stop hate crimes by trying to take away everything that people could possibly hate on. You would have to ban people for talking about all race, gender, religion, sexuality, ect. Im sure i could find many examples of women getting hated or abused on xbox live but you wont see Xbox trying to make everyone gender neutral will you?

Now, i banter too much, i have a few suggestions this time! (sorry for not posting these earlier, thats what i should have been doing) Any combo of these would help:

1. Put out a warning that if you disclose information regarding <blank> subjects, you *could* be discriminated against by other players. Give people the option, but with fair warning.

2. Put out a warning that if you engage in any hate crime type offenses on Xbox live, you will have swift and severe punishment. Im sure they have this, maybe just make it more obvious and bold :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Work on a better reporting and banning system. I dont know what the current situation is like, but if you have a no tolerance policy for things like this and a good and efficient way to report it, it might help. Just the fear of being banned is enough for most people to stop.

4. Make examples of a few people who are doing these homophobic acts to broadcast the message that it is not tolerated.

In the end your either going to piss off alot of people by trying to stop these things from happening or your going to try and find another way around it without harming the people your trying to protect.

5. SlickyPants

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1605966/20090226/story.jhtml

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

6. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    nevermind...didn't read everyone's post's and when i did i saw someone had already stated what i was going to say (feels stupid...

#26 the ry guy, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. starfish

I thoughts exactly. I do have to say, the war metaphor is very apropos.

8. Larry Myster

I'km going to kill everymother fucker that made in front of GayBoy, that is really sad.

You know I was playing GTA4 about a month ago, and this guy was getting herassed because he was gay. The gay guy was like, "people still love me, people still love me, shut up about it please."

I was there the whole time and could have spoken out and deffended him. But didn, and I regret it so badley!!!!:icon_sad: