1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confessions of a Racist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Enigma, Feb 14, 2009.

?

Do you see yourself doing racist things all too often?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2009.
  1. Yes

7.5%
  2. No

92.5%
  1. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Thanks, I think. XD I dislike the people you just listed too...and "black women" syndrome drives me crazy. All that head bobbing, I'm beat your ass attitude, and nothing you say means anything drives me crazy. Lol Not to sound mean or terrible...but Im not above hitting women. HEY! A women can kill, hit, and hurt me just the same as a man can. So, before they try to bring it they better prepare themselves for the consequences. Lol Been in chick fights before. Yeah son! lol nah jk

But, I try my hardest not to be publically racist. I did feel bad for calling a crew member of mine Machinko...I HONESTLY thought that WAS her name. It was just Machiko though. I felt SOOO bad..I never even stopped to think I was being racist either. I didn't even know any racist asian things to say lol. But thanks to Gran Turino, I did learn more.

Though, I do admit. I get "angry black man" syndrome sometimes. XD It takes a lot to bring it out...but certain things TRULY peeve me. Waiters with attitude do it for me, or cashiers at fastfood. Why? Because I know they can perform their job well and efficiently. I've mostly worked fast food and I know exactly how it can be done. :slight_smile: And most times, it usually is.

2. lostinthought9

You're Welcome. :slight_smile: Pushy, "head-bobbing" girls bother me too. lol

hey! you need to have patience when it comes to cashiers in fast food places!
    I work at McDonald's, and when they first put me on the register, I was messing up sooo bad...and people were getting irritated with me...but sometimes it was their fault, like this old couple came in, and was like "I would like a whopper please" and I'm like "huh?, this is mcdonalds..." and they have the nerve to start an argument with me.LOL

3. Mellowish

i always thought racism was funny mainly cus i was introduced to the topic of racism when i watched south park. i also laugh at stereotypes aimed at my ethnicity cus of how accurate it is to me. a lot of my friends think im racist cus i joke around but im not racist cus im not judgemental but i barely found what a couple racial slurs meant

4. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

i do the same thing! when i told two girls from my bunk at camp that i was somewhat racist they were ready to jump me. realizing this, i made one of my (most widely accepted) racist jokes of, "i'm a twinkie! i'm yellow on the out-side and white on the in-side!" i'm not sure why this one goes over best, but it tends to. but i NEVER make black or hispanic jokes, because with those jokes i'm not making fun of myself. its somewhat self-deragatory, but hey, if it makes people laugh...:icon_bigg

5. kramer362

I always thought the term African-American was a bit excessive. Perhaps you should start referring to white people in the same way. Refer to blonde people as German-Americans, for example.

6. 71390S

71390S Guest

I think it's really......sad how many blacks dislike blacks. I suppose it's the same way gay people hate their sexuality, thats the only way I can understand it. And no, I don't hate others based on race/ethnicity. I dislike cultural aspects of certain cultures, but I don't hate one for their SKIN color or ethnicity.

7. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

oh and i'm half korean and a quarter french canadian/american and a quarter welsh. (btw has anyone seen the starburst commercial with the scotch-korean kid? i love it!) luckily for me though, my mom's side of the family is mainly adopted (4 out of 7 kids are adopted) and with married in relatives our family is my entire family is: korean, norwegian,irish,welsh,canadian, hungarian, puerto rican, black, multiple undistinguishable forms of white, portuguese, japanese, hawaiian, cherokee, and mexican. and then my great uncle's side of the family "kept the bloodlines pure" and so our family reunions are half perfect blonde barbies and kens (tall scandinavians, what're ya gonna do?) and half completely and utterly mixed.

8. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get mistaken as Italian, Caldean, or some dark hair European... But I'm Mexican (fourth generation but I'm pure). My father side has blue eyes (I didn't get them) and my mother side has Native American in there somewhere from my grandpa's mother. Still pure Mexican.

I relate to anyone who likes me, race is invisible to me. But I have a slight dislike for Chinese people (but I like all other Asian people especially Koreans and Japanese). I also dislike people who are plain rude.

The people I like the most are sexy, weird (dark and witchy; mystery, issues), people with
    problems which makes them interesting. I know it when I see it. Lindsay Lohan for example.

There's ton of whites in my family because my mothers grandma side of the family kept it pure, but everyone is half white. There is no black in my family and everyone is racist to blacks, I am not. Going with a black person is excommunication.

It's better to be gay with a non-black then to go with a black person. Being gay would be horrible and all but eventually it be "okay", but going with a black person is total disownment.

#28 Jack2009, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  9. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok well, I'm going to say right now that I don't mean to offend anyone so I'm sorry in advance if I do.

First of all I am almost full Chinese with a hint (like 3%) of Hawaiian. So depending on the mood I identify with either of those ethnicities (even if I don't have enough Hawaiian blood in me to fill a thimble).

Now here is were the "I'm sorry" parts come in because I happen to dislike white people or as we call them in Hawaii (hmm not sure if I should be revealing this...) "Haole" people. It's not like I go around hating on haole people, you wouldn't catch me dead being racist face-to-face with any haole person, and it's not directed toward any one individual. In fact I have many haole friends who are all very nice people. It's just that I seem to harbor ill feelings towards haole people in general. Ok well, maybe just tourists.

I hate tourists. I know tourists are Hawaii's main source of income and all but, like whenever I see tourists do something stupid I roll my eyes and think "Stupid tourists." I don't even know why really. I think I've just been conditioned to think lowly of haole tourists since they know nothing of the unique culture in Hawaii besides an insultingly cliche view of hula dancers in grass skirts. I ESPECIALLY hate it when I hear stories of mainland people asking "You live in Hawaii? Do you live in a grass hut?" OMG! How about I take a grass hut and shove it up your...Anyway...

Anyway although I think racism is stupid, I end up doing it anyway. The way I see it, I have a slanted view of people yes, but the thing is, I will never act upon it. I won't go around linching tourists, and I will always be nice to any tourist I see, but inside I think I will always have this racism.

However, I am also open-minded enough to accept people. Generalization means nothing to the individual and I always go past stereotypes and racism when I meet people. It's just that I will still think lowly of haole people in general even if that one preson is awesome.

I hope I didn't make anyone mad :icon_sad: I think you're all really cool people. It's just I always seem to see all the stupid ones.

10. Ben

Ben

It's always bugged me a bit that people say Obama is the first black president, because he is mixed race. If he's the first black president, then he's the 44th white president as well.
    The general public would not accept it if he claimed to be white, but they happily accept when he claims to be black, although he has good reasons to claim either side or to identify as mixed race. But he identifies as black, and that's fair enough.

As for answering this thread, I don't think I'm a racist at all. I barely notice race because I've grown up with mixed race cousins and a school which had quite a few international students who I got to know. I don't think I've ever seen a non-white person in my village though.
    I guess that I've never been exposed to stereotypes of race outside of television. I have got no reason to believe that different races act in different ways, which is why race has just never been an issue for me.
    I have heard people saying racist things. I bitched a girl out in class for telling a racist joke. What I think is upsetting is how racism towards arabs is extremely high. They seem to be a new target, and I've seen many people who would identify as "not racist" thinking that it is okay to bad-mouth arabs because of ridiculous stereotypes. No. Bitching about a whole race is being racist.

Ugh it would just be nice is everyone was racially blind.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spent 11 years living in Oberlin, OH, home to Oberlin College, a school with a rich heritage of cultural diversity (first US college to admit blacks, in 1833, and women, in 1835). The school has a group called ABUSUA, which is the african-american student association.

ABUSUA, curiously, claimed that "every african-american student on campus is assumed to be a member of ABUSUA." Imagine if a group for caucasian students were to say the same thing! And while ABUSUA was, as a student organization, supposedly open to all students, they made any non-African American students feel very unwelcome, and often overtly told them to leave.

I lived in a dorm that one of the college's star professors, a brilliant philosophy scholar, also lived. He was black, and he was openly critical of ABUSUA, in large part because he had a student who, like you, Enigma, was rejected by her black peers because she was not "black" enough. Only... both of her parents were black, but she was adopted by an upper-income caucasian family at birth. So in her case, their objection was that she was "too white" because she did not match their expectations of how she should behave. The professor was also at odds with ABUSUA because they were not happy with the number of african-american studied oriented courses he taught (his specialty had nothing to do with that field.)

I believe that recognizing and celebrating cultural diversity, as well as the distinctness of different cultures is important, but I do think that the racism that happens in situations like these, particularly relating to separatism, just serves to create the sort of frustration you're describing.

The other thing i will say is... if you identify yourself as "white" on a job application, but you obviously don't, to most people, appear that way, then you really can't be surprised when people assume it to be an error. Of course, it's your perogative to do so, and I completely understand your reasoning, but it's one of those things that's always going to set you apart in a way that others may not view as positive. My social worker friend would probably violently disagree with me on this point, but I tend to go for the simplest, least confusing resolution in situations like this.

12. Alex19

well, the only kind of racial stereotype ive ever experienced was in 7th grade when this kid was talkin to another kid about not saying certain things to me cause im italian and that id 'sick the mob on him'. wtf? im not in the mob nor have i ever been

and as for the whole racist thing, who hasnt said/done anything racist. im not a biggot obviously, hell i have friends of all races. i also find men of all races attractive :wink: even mixed men.

but i do have a cousin whos black and white. ill have to ask her if there is any identity problems that shes dealt with. but at the end of the day, i try not to judge ppl at all. i mean, who am i to judge, right?

13. MusicIsLife

Race is invisible to me. I mean that literally.

When I was about 9 or so my best friend was a black boy about my age who lived down the street. My other best friend was very english, very white.

My friends vary from white/catholic to native to..egyptian, irish, black, german, jewish... you name it.

I'm irish/scottish/english myself. My great grandmother was off the boat from ireland, so i have a touch of an irish pride thing going on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yes, I can't comprehend the whole racism/prejudice thing. Maybe I empathise too much, I don't know. I don't hate my scottish side or my irish side, or my english side. I don't hate or dislike someone based on skin colour, nationality, or sexual orientation.

And for the record, whenever i find out someone i know is part of the lgbt community, I say: "They're family!" so its not just black people who do the "brother/sister thing" hahaha.

14. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not too late for you. Soon you WILL join usssssssssssssssssss....

15. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

i'm half arab/black, but if i get an application and there is no arab or mixed race box i wouldn't mind ticking the black box. thou my skin is not black.. the point is i have no problem with being called black ^^
    but i will punch if u say i'm indian haha!

16. MisterFantasy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I think you are self-loathing.

You give honesty, I will give it back. You hate yourself.

How can you hate black people when 1) you are black (yes, you are) and 2) you don't know every black person.

It is not blacks you hate, it's just yourself you can't stand.

Admit that to yourself - because denial is the first sign of sickness my friend.

And yes, I am black, so I am coming from a real place here. All those trifling examples you gave of why you dont like black people are irrelevant. It's yourself you don't like. You sound like a victim, unable refrain from conflating yourself with black stereotypes. Maybe you should just grow up a little bit - I mean damn, we have a black president now (yes he is black, just ask him...or his wife), so you really dont have an excuse, dude.

17. Bookmarked

I'm mixed race. I don't mind the term, but I wish they came up with a more snappy sounding epithet. Swirled race? Pureed race? Whatever. My mum is from a little Eastern European country called Slovenia and my Dad's Egyptian. This probably makes my siblings and I pretty damn unique. However, I've not been raised Slovene. I've not been raised Egyptian. For all my life, I've lived as an English person. To add some extra stuff to the mix, I also consider myself to be a citizen of the UK as a whole, and a memeber of Europe as a gestalt entity. Sometimes, it gets a little crowded and confused when asked to tick a box saying "Who the hell do you think you are?"

Really, the only thing I have to say is that we humans have been granted a wonderful, astounding gift. That is, simply put, we can be ourselves.

As an example, many of us here probably grew up in a mostly (if not totally) heterosexual environment and yet many of us ended up anything but heterosexual. At the end of the day, you are the person you want to be; nothing more, nothing less.

Race itself is a set of mostly superficial characteristics. If you're black, the only thing that's different about you is the pigmentation of your skin. You don't need to be part of any "culture" or speak, think, act or reason any differently than you want, and frankly, I don't see why anyone should impose anything like it on you.

Oh, and I don't think I'm generally racist. More often than not, I'm annoyed by the human race as a whole, rather than it's constituent parts.

18. Markio

So black people aren't black? They don't face any struggles specific to their race? People of Latino heritage don't have cultural values of their own?

While it's admirable that you may not think lowly of people because of their race, it's foolish not to acknowledge that people have different struggles or privileges because of the race that they're born into.

As a white person, I don't have to worry about being paid less money at a job because of my job; I don't have to worry about walking into a classroom and not seeing another person of my race; I don't have to worry about not having my hands on the wheel when an officer pulls me over. However, as a white person I also have a higher risk of having anorexia, bulimia, and drug addiction because of issues of control specific to my race.

This isn't to say that all black people are all white people face the same discrimination or only white people develop bulimia. Everyone is different, regardless of race. But there are also societal differences out of our control that are dictated by race. To be blind to those differences doesn't really help anyone.

19. Emberstone

personally, my view is that having prejudies is not the same thing as acting upon them.

as the song goes 'everyones a little bit racist'...

it is if you act upon those impulsises that matters.

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

I think you hit the nail on the head.