1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a big group of friends all at once

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Truman48, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Truman48

Hey question.
    Sooo I'm not out yet. And obviously, I plan to tell my parents/family before I do any of this this.

But, I need to tell my friends. There is pretty close knit group of like 9 or 10 of us, and I know it will be fine. Two of them already are gay/out.

I need to tell them, and heres the thing, I want everyone to know at once. Because it is really really important to me that they get the news directly from me. I would feel personally really bad for a variety of reasons if i told some before others and some how word got out to the rest before I could personally tell them. So, ideally, i dont know how this would go down (advice?), I would get them together, at my house or something, and tell them all as a group. Good or bad idea?

Like i said, I know it will be ok with them.

Before I was considering the idea of having the occasion be "a party" (aka I invite them all over for drinks and an "announcement").

Thoughts? input please.

2. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, and welcome to EC!

To me it sounds like you already know what you want to do, and for what you're trying to achieve, that would probably be the best way to go about it. Get everyone together at a party or something and make an announcement. How you do the announcing is completely up to you, weather you ask them all to be quiet for a second, or just yell out "hey guys, by the way, I'm gay." You know your friends better than the rest of us, so that part's more or less up to you.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. SuperNovaRoamer

Hmm a 'coming out party'. I love it :grin: You could have a theme, and cake..mmmm cake!

It sounds like your friends are an accepting and loving bunch, so take your time and when it feels right go for it. Having them all there at the same time isn't a bad idea (saves time, not having to repeat yourself, and you can work the group love) but if someone does have some issue with it then it might make it more awkward. You could rely on the support of your friends to help discuss it with that person should they exist.

I wish you well :slight_smile: