1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PhD induced Depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SuperNovaRoamer, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperNovaRoamer

Hi ECers,

I just wanted to write because I felt the need to express myself and what I am going through at the moment with other people. I was hoping for some support or advice or whatever help people might want to give me.

I am a PhD student and I am in the process of writing up my thesis. I have been doing this project for 4 years. I have done all of the experimental work that I need to do and 'only' have to write up my results in a thesis to finish and get my higher degree. Before this I completed my undergraduate degree with Honours which took another 4 years. As you can imagine, after 8 years of university study I am rather tired of it.

Basically, I have not been able to will myself to complete the writing stage of my PhD and finish and get on with my life. I have locked myself away in my bedroom for about 6 months unable to face the world or my project. I have lost a lot of weight (about 7kgs), I am not eating well and I rarely exercise any more.

My flatmates obviously recognised that something was very wrong with me and have been very supportive. They took me to the doctor and he diagnosed me with depression. Since then I have started the long process of trying to get myself better. I am taking Zoloft, have seen two counsellors (one much better than the other), have initiated a dialogue with my supervisor and mentors, and started going back to work. I started swimming, playing my violin again, doing muscle exercises, going for walks, eating better foods etc.

For a time I felt better, and was starting to get things done again and see a brighter future. But I think I have relapsed again since the Christmas holidays were over. I am struggling with motivation, communication, procrastination, and most other -tions that you can think of. I am confining myself to my bed again, finding every possible reason to distract myself from the things I have to do. My doctor told me that relapses were to be expected, but I am just feeling so lost at the moment. I have made another appointment to see my doctor and counsellor tomorrow and I hope they can help.

I could go into my perceived reasons for what caused this depressive episode (it is the first that I have experienced in my life) in detail, but this post is getting very long. In a few words they involve a supervisor who is a selfish bully, money/independence and a hopeless sense of the future.

I hope you lovely people can give me some advice on this situation. I would really appreciate any thoughts and comments.

Love Pauli xoxo

2. starfish

I don't have any advice. I know the situation you are talking about and it sucks. So all I can say is. (*hug*)

3. avlgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I hit my bottom, I found myself crying into my mashed potatoes and thinking "I think something may be wrong". Like you, I had loving people around me and my then girlfriend happened to be a therapist who helped me get help. I was okay for a little while but would fall back down. The worst part was how I ripped myself apart inside for being "lazy", "unmotivated" or "worthless". How could other people manage to live life so easily when I found it a chore to get out of bed? I was cruel to myself.

I would encourage you to continue to reach out. I assembled what I called my "theraputic SWAT team" consisting of my therapist, doctor, career coach (found at my local uni) and my ADHD coach online. I could not have made it through like I did without them!

Good luck!

PS-AND...if you want to put it in perspective google "dissertation coaches" there is a whole business that has risen up so you are most definitely not alone!

4. Mickey

I think the fact that you recognize there's a problem and are trying to get help is to be commended. Don't give up! There are many different meds. out there for depression.
    It's a pain in the butt sometimes,but you may have to go through a few to find
    the one that works for you. I have been on several different ones ,through the years.
    I am a firm believer in meds and counseling. You're on the right track. Good luck!

5. KaraBulut

The situation you have described is extremely common in masters and doctoral programs. It accounts for why there are so many ABDs (all but dissertation) out there.

My personal observation is that many students like you who pursue degrees consecutively and are who perfectionists/overachievers by nature seem to be especially prone to depression and mental illness during their program. The stress and the time commitment play a large part in it and maybe students find that they don't have time for work-life balance. It is one's personal life and the support structure around you that help a person stay grounded. By withdrawing from your friends, hobbies, the gym and other things that you enjoy, you have upset that balance between work/study and life.

Getting an advanced degree is a roller-coaster. But the level of depression that you find yourself in is what we try to avoid. Most faculty are always on the lookout for the signs of depression in students. It's one of the reasons that the role of a faculty advisor is so important. Have you talked with your advisor about the problems you are having?

6. riddlerno1

I know what you're going through. Im in my final year of the doctorate and we have got people breaking down left, right and centre. But i strongly advise seeking help from the staff where you are studying cos they do know about how tough it is.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Being a PhD student myself, I can identify with some of the things you are going through. I think KB has pretty much summed it up.

I think it is really good that you are seeing a doctor and are speaking with a counselor. I would also encourage you to talk to your supervisor and a faculty member who is responsible for graduate students. I think it is important that the most important people within your department also know what is going on and that you might need a break. It sounds like that you are overdue for one. Maybe it would be worthwhile to explore a few options with your supervisor and/or graduate advisor.

KB hit on another important point, i.e. social life. Being enrolled in a PhD programme brings excitement and new opportunities but at the same time, it often involves new commitments that add to our stress levels. As we have 'even' more work now than before we tend to withdraw even more, because we want to get the things done and show to our supervisors/departments that yes we are PhD material. However, that comes to the detriment of our social life. We no longer have a balance in our life. We can do this for some time, but there will be a point where we will crack.

From my own experience, finding that work/life balance is hard and it will require some 'work' to find that right balance. What has helped me a bit is to take breaks during the day where I can just relax. Maybe that could be something that you could try. For example, try working on your dissertation for a couple of hours and then take a break. Do something else for a little while (go for a walk, meet up with a friend for a coffee, play the violin or go for a swim) than go back to it. Try to relax as much as possible during your breaks. Try also to leave some time aside (say one or two evenings during the week) for the things that you like doing, where you take a longer break or take the rest of the evening off. The more you do that, the better you will find a balance in your life and your motivation will slowly come back.

Also, is there something that you have done during your PhD studies that has given you some motivation to continue working on your dissertation and complete the programme? For example, for myself, giving guest lectures and attending conferences has helped me at times to reconfirm why I am in it and which has provided me with some needed motivation at times.

It is also important that you address some of the problems that you are having with your supervisor. The supervisor/student relationship is an important part in the successful completion of one's programme. If you are having problems it might be a good idea to talk with someone about it. Maybe get a different angel on how you could approach your supervisor.

I hope this helps a bit.

8. Bryan

I think you should go to your shrink and have your medicine adjucted or switched. For example, zoloft might not be working, so they might want to put u on prozac and it will work better for you.

9. someguy82

Yeah, I sympathize. Being in a similar situation myself, I can definitely say that it sucks.

10. SuperNovaRoamer

Thank you everybody! Your replies are very much appreciated.

I have been to my doctor and we discussed my medication. We decided to increase the dose gradually at first and then to double of what I had been taking. He told me that a 'Zoloft Trough' was a well documented phenomenon where the patient would relapse after some improvement. I have also increased the frequency with which i am seeing my therapist.

Avlgirl, I really like the idea of a therapeutic task force! I will start thinking of them that way and see if I can build on it. Thank you :slight_smile: Like you, I also tend to catch myself saying that I am lazy and unmotivated etc. I understand how cruel we can be to ourselves and that sort of thinking doesn't help at all. So I have recently tried to turn my negative thoughts around by putting a positive spin on them. I think it helps.

KB, thank you so much for your advice! I dont want to become another 'ABD' statistic. I know I have worked too hard on this for 4 years and I really really want it. I want finishing my thesis to empower me to take control of my life again and rediscover why I am interested in my field (which btw is Immunology). It is slightly difficult because I am not on campus (I am based at a cancer hospital) so there are no university faculty around. That said though, my mentor (fyi: not my primary advisor...) is really supportive and there are medical doctors who I work with and trust that have also been very good to me. I will aim to talk to them more frequently. My primary advisor seems to be much more interested in his own personal funding and publication record than my progress or emotional well-being. I just have to accept that he is selfish and not the advisor that I had hoped he would be, finish my thesis and move on so that I wont have to deal with him ever again.

Asteroid your post was very informative, thank you heaps! You are right, my work-life balance is seriously out of whack and needs to be slowly but surely righted again. One thing that I could use to motivate me is that my work has just (this week!) been published by PNAS!! So that is a very good confidence booster! I could use that to motivate myself into restoring my work-life balance. I also travelled to Austria to give a talk at a lab at the Medical University of Vienna with whom I had set up a collaboration. I was really stressed about it, but the talk went brilliantly. That gave me a huge rush.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who posted with their thoughts and advice. I think I am slowly coming out of this hole that I am in. It is good to know that I have so many people to turn to.

Love Pauli xoxo.

11. Jasonincloset

Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey, I feel so sorry for your story, and I can relate because I am also a phd student.
    The only difference between us is that I'm in my first year of the program.
    Like you, I'm the typical person who get depressed whenever under pressure. When there is a dead line or obstacle in front of me, I get depressed. I don't wanna go to school and meet other hardworking phd guys. I would spend days in bed, sleep during the day. I more time I wasted, the more depressed I feel.
    But somehow, I could managed to get out of this circle. It could be jogging out side when it's sunny, sports helps you fight depress. Or you can start taking notes about everything you did during the day. Try to tell yourself you did a lot of things such as cook a meal, search the internet for fun, or learnt some new knowledge which might be useful in the future. The most important thing is that you need to make yourself believe you are not wasting your time and you will surprised to find out from your notes that you are actually had a great day and did many things.

Oh, just realize this is a pretty old post. Hope everything goes well for you guys:slight_smile:
    Hope

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, OP. I can relate. I've got more than 4 years of college education. I can't say I liked graduate school very much. It's so highbrow compared to undergrad which tends to be more practical. Interesting nomenclature - here, a thesis is for a masters and a dissertation is for a doctorate.

It could be many things. The first is obviously simple exhaustion. The second is that a thesis or dissertation somehow defines you, and that academic program you are doing, so one feels it is an extension of themselves, hence the postponement. The third is that it is lonely. Undergraduate is more social, while graduate school, unless it is filled with a bumper crop of people like MBA or law, feels very niche like and introspective. Depression in graduate students is very common. So is turning to mind altering substances, alcohol, and sex as a means of stress relief. Be careful with these areas. Lastly, it could be a fear to finish, and even though there is a euphoric feeling when you do, there is also a post-partum type depression after such a feat.

All of what you, and any graduate student, are experiencing is totally normal and much talked about. The trick is finding the solutions that are both healthy and work for your situation. I finally pushed mine out by blocking time. It sort of worked. I remember some really dark days, so I feel for you.

13. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a student for 7 years followed by a post graduate diploma for another 2 years. I wrote a thesis when I was suffering from depression. I found the act of writing coherent paragraphs very difficult just because my head was all tangled up and the meds weren't quite right.

Under those conditions a thesis risks taking on a 'mountain like' scale and overwhelming you ... like "how can I even start this thing"... a line of thinking that's likely to keep you in bed.

Can you reinvigorate yourself by (i) reminding yourself why you wanted to do this research (ii) making it fun for yourself so that you are not dreading it when you wake up (iii) map out a programme and targets on a wall chart (iv) breaking it down in to manageable tasks and just tackle each one in a sequence

At one point early on, when I was struggling, I decided to stop writing and just focus on my introduction, bibliography and illustrations because they could be got out of the way and it's one thing less to do later on when everything is a panic.

I would push draft chapters out to friends/family to get feedback... it all helps.

And focus on what a relief it will be to submit it, and have it done well, and behind you !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.