1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Openly gay teachers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ccdd, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I just heard that the headteacher of my old school came out in an assembly as a lesbian - apparently she said that she felt that she had a responsibility to her students, especially to any that might be struggling themselves, to be visible. Yay!

I was wondering if any of you had openly gay teachers? I've had one gay teacher that wasn't officially out, but it's only since 2003 in the UK that LGBT people have had protection against being fired and as we know it's only recently that the cultural tide has begun to turn.

2. EM68

A professor of mine from college is transgender. She was MTF. The funny thing is that my mom had her (him) when she went to community college. I think she was in her late 50's when she made the change.

#2 EM68, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is awesome! :slight_smile:

4. Psychedelic Bookmarks

My PE (physical education = sport) teacher is lesbian. Unfortunately, she is also horrible. I hate her.

5. biisme

We had a lesbian teacher for a while. I think she movies to a different school over the summer though. She used to run GSA.

6. Andi

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are pleanty of roumours about our teachers but i dont think they are open to students about it, if they are its probs not intentional as they can get loads of stress and abuse because of it, from both students and parents.

To any that are; i think its reli good that they are because it gives the students something to help them if they are struggling with their own sexuality...

When im a teacher i guess i would be, its hard to tell until your in that situation i suppose :S

7. Amy

Amy

I had a gay PE teacher. She didn't "announce" that she was gay, but everyone knew.

8. InaRut

My mythology teacher was pretty canon in terms of Homosexuality.

LOL

HE never admitted to it...but he did say he wouldn't mind wearing a "Madonna Bra."

9. jazzrawr

There aren't any at my school, I think because they'd get teased by the kids. There are some real assholes at my school.
    It's illegal here to be fired for it though. :slight_smile:

We need a gay teacher. XD

10. Cheese Love

I've had two lesbian teachers. One from jr. high who's actually said it, and then my chemistry teacher last year.

Not to stereotype, but they were both *obviously* lesbians. I happened to see a picture of my chem and her partner and her desk.

11. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had a lesbian sociology teacher. She admitted her sexuality in a gay-themed extracurricular seminar which her students could attend for extra credit. However, she said she would neither come out nor speak so liberally in one of her regular classes, but she is known for painstakingly conveying similar ideas.

Also, that seminar was co-presented with an openly-gay, male teacher, but I don't know if he's always that open.

12. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering where I went to high school - Georgia - if they were gay, they weren't out. Although there was this one student teacher in PE we all knew was lesbian (she was kinda flirty with some of the girls - specifically the not-out-but-obvious-anyway lesbians).

13. Courtneyyy

I work at my old junior high. My old choir teacher is so flamboyantly gay. My 8th grade PE teacher is a lesbian, she's not out to the students, but she is to the teachers. I actually work with her one period a day. Her partner is also a PE teacher. I wonder how many straight female PE teachers there are... The adaptive PE teacher that works with my students twice a week is a lesbian as well.

14. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had teachers who we all thought were gay, but none of them were out, at least not to the pupils

I don't know if I want to be openly gay in schools. On the one hand I don't want to get on the bad side of the few teachers in the staff room who bitch about the "f***ing poofters," but pupils are bound to react in a bad way and I'd need to be adequately equipped to deal with a bad reaction. I think the headmistress being openly out is helped because she is the head of the school and has significant power and status to back it up.

I do think it's amazing and brilliant that the headmistress is out, and doing so in an assembly where she can openly discuss it is great. I think it's really important for their to be openly gay role models out there, and having openly gay teachers would ideally be great because they'd be accessible to any pupils who needed advice and guidance. But there is that concern, especially because the law only changed very recently, that your job and position would be at risk if you were openly out.

#14 Davo, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a gay English teacher in year 11, and he was wonderful. In his first year at the school (which was the year he taught me), he was sort of half-out, and completely out the next.

16. Rainbow

I think there is 1 lesbian PE teacher at every school.

17. Gumtree

My Modern History teacher is a Lesbian and her GF is a Maths teacher at my school too.

My old Music teacher at school was gay as well, but he left when he came out due to the nature of the people at my school.

18. Markio

My Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Studies teacher is a lesbian. She was really funny, and her voice sounded very much like Ellen's. Very strange coincidence. They're both originally from the south, I guess.

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a teacher at my school who was apparently caught walking out of a gay club with another guy once, and EVERYONE reckons he's gay, but we don't have any teachers who are out of the closet at my school. :frowning2:

I hope that a teacher that everyone loves comes out of the closet one day and maybe people's perceptions of things will change at my school..

20. Daniel

Two lesbian teachers.
    And the old superintendent was gay.