1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving Blood?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JurrBurr, Jan 26, 2009.

1. waitingsucks

Thanks for starting this thread theres a few things I've wanted to get off my chest after I donated blood 3 weeks ago.

I live in melbourne and donated with the red cross blood service and noticed that they had these questions (as already posted above)

okay here it goes:

1. Why do gay/bi men or the ppl who have had sex with them have to wait 12 months when the same thing doesn't apply to ppl who have had heterosexual sex, even if it's unprotected high risk sex and they've had many partners?

2. Why isn't there a question that just asks "have you had sexual activity with 1 or more partners in the last 12 months?"? This would filter out everyone who even had a miniscule chance of having any STD including HIV/AIDS if that is the intention of the questions.

3. If they are discriminating (logically) against gay sex because anal sex has a higher risk of transmission of STDs then why don't they consider that A:not all gay sex is anal sex and B:straight couples have anal sex too. It's just silly how it's doesn't take into account that "male to male sex" can mean many different things some of which are less risky than common forms of heterosexual sex like vaginal sex.

4. Why is there these 'gay/bi specific' questions and not even at the least a question that asks "have you had unprotected sex in the last 12 months?"

and Finally:
    Why does it matter if a certain group has a slightly higher risk of HIV/AIDS if all the blood is legally required to be tested anyway. And if they would discriminate against gays for this, why wouldn't they discriminate against heterosexual people who have a higher risk of other STDs

I just think it's discrimination, not that they have the question but just that they don't have an equal one for everyone who is at the same risk of STDs and that the question doesn't take into account anything like oral protected sex (far lower risk than anal)

It just makes me sad to think that someone could be in long term commited relatonship with another man and neither of them could give blood even if they both had got tested numerous times.

a doctor talks about some of my points in this article http://gay_blog.blogspot.com/2008/08/gay-blood-ban-hearing-red-cross-ignores.html

Thank you very much if you took the time to read this

#41 waitingsucks, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

waitingsucks,

Very good points!

3. Shevanel

you know guys, this is rather silly, you don't see people who went to Africa or another third world country complaining. If you look at the questionnair they give you when u go to donate blood, tis really freakin intense. There are SOOOOOO many more trials you have to pass to donate rather than if ur gay or not. seriously, this isn't picking on homosexuals. Stop the silliness.

4. JMar2222

I agree.

It’s completely biased against homosexuals and bisexuals, blood donation in the US is a complete hetero-based institution and it says a lot about the current fear of another HIV/AIDS epidemic- which is illogical. As a country, people are educated about the risk factors of unprotected sex, and doctors can determine blood results much faster than they used to. I personally feel that it's controlled by people who feel that by eliminating donors who had male to male sex or any sort of “questionable” sex, they completely eliminate the possibility of any gay or bi men from contributing HIV/AIDS. Yet what sticks out as offensive is leveling off male-to-male sex with having sex with a prostitute as equally dangerous to blood donation. That is to say, that gay or bi men are as big of risks as prostitutes. It disgusts me that this is even considered. Sheer injustice.

The ignorance in the situation is that heterosexual couples carry just as large of a chance of carrying STDS or HIV/AIDS and are given special privileges to donate despite the possibility of their viral status, which may be HIV positive. Their blood simply gets discarded without any further question when tested for anything dangerous. How is it morally justified that they refuse homosexuals just because they assume all donations will be HIV/AIDS positive? What does it say about society? We live in a homo-phobic and heterosexual institution. It's unfortunate and discriminatory against eligible gay or bi men who could donate healthy blood and save someone's life. Maybe it's a fear of becoming "gay" after using their blood, but on any level it's just wrong.

Blood donation is just another one of those issues that cannot simply be ignored. Men are being denied their rights and liberty as citizens to help others. I feel a fire in my core, this issue makes me so furious.

5. littledinosaurs

it
    is
    not
    a
    personal
    attack
    against
    gays.

6. crystaltriforce

maby you'r right.

7. waitingsucks

It is blatantly discriminatory gay/bi men who could save up to 3 lives per donation!

I mean these rules were initially made as a result of fear of HIV transmission after the HIV/AIDS epidemic, a time when little was known about the virus which lead to many misconceptions.

No, it's not a personal attack on gays (In the mind of people who still let these rules exist) they mean well but they're just ignorant, ignorant of the fact that male to male sex does not deserve to be catergorised in the same level of risk as that of sex with a prostitute. The greatest example of the discrimination of this rule is in the undeniable fact that all the blood must be tested anyway.
    The only reason these rules still exist is because people still think things like "AIDS is a gay disease"
    These sort of things are completely illogical and cause a lot of emotional stress to the gay community, making them feel the stigma of having a disease and alienating them from society because of their sexuality regardless of whether or not they even have an STD at all.

It just makes me sick to think that they would deny gay/bi men the right to donate unless they abstain for 12+ months or even not allow them to donate permanently (This disgusts me the most), give privilege to heterosexual men and women regardless of their equal risk of STD transmission and then on top of that complain that there is a shortage of blood!

No it's not biased, not an attack on gay men. They're just making sure no one gets hurt... right?

No one gets hurt, no one apart from the people who are subject to this and other prejudices based purely on their sexuality, those that miss out on the blood that could save their lives, and their families who have to loose their loved one just because an organisation was too proud to admit that they were wrong.

8. JMar2222

yeah, watingsucks really build off what I was saying, i did not say it was a direct attack on gay or bi men, i said it was an injustice to them. clearly it's not a direct or personal attack, i said it was an injustice to one's sexuality.

9. I'm not saying it's an attack against gays, but the rules are fucking idiotic. Anal sex may have a higher rate of AIDS infections, but they have to test all the blood anyways so it doesn't matter whether or not a man has sex with men. How about an analogy? Obese people are at a higher risk for diabetes, but the fact that they are obese doesn't automatically give them diabetes. Assuming that all obese people have diabetes is equally as stupid as assuming that all men who have sex with men will have AIDS/HIV.

10. JMar2222

right on joe! haha!

11. Trace

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree, some of the questions are annoying as hell.

12. jroakwood

so... we all know gay men are the most suseptible to contracting HIV/AIDS. correct?

well... that leads me to the question, "How long does it take for HIV/AIDS to show up in a blood test after initial infection?"
    source: outreachinc.org

even if the blood is tested, it can take up to 6 months of contracting it for it to show up in a test. and if thats the time a person can be most infectious, then there is a reason for the blood ban. or am i misunderstanding the above info?

and hahah, to any of you who might think theyre being discriminate against gays, im gonna correct you and say "gays who arent virgins." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: hah.

13. Shevanel

Exactly. thank you.

14. Tom

Tom Guest

I'm sorry but I have to agree with those that have said it is not discrimination, but safeguard mechanisms, according to this site the total percentages of those with HIV the chances of a gay man being infected with HIV was almost twice as high than that of high risk hetero sex and also sharing needles when combined, add to the fact that there will be on average 9 hetero sexual couples per gay couple and the 5x higher number of gay men being infected with HIV than straight men or women shows a significant increase in probability that a gay man is more likely to contract HIV, almost 50 times as likely. To me it can be justified to not allow men who have had intercourse with other men to give blood, roughly 1% of all gay males in America are hiv+ where as its as little as 0.02% chance of a male who has never had sexual intercourse with another man, and probably even less than that. This may not seem like a significant value but if there is enough blood available atm (which there usually is) then why take any risks?

In short, gay men are like 50x more likely to be HIV positive than straight men, so why risk it and dont forget that there are way more things on the list of questions than just have you had intercourse with another man.

15. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Heres a thought, say 'no' to that question. They test the blood anyway, so its not like anyone could ever be at risk suggesting you do have something you don't know about!

16. Grof142007

I Given Blood Twice XD I just say no but also im a virgin so im allowed to XD

17. Teri

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But well what if you have had sex with a male since 1977 what difference does it make if you are female or male and did that germs and virus bugs don;t generally read laws lol and conform to archaic phobic ideals lmao

18. littledinosaurs

I think the main point of giving Blood is to help save lives, if thats why you want to give blood then shut the hell up and lie.
    Otherwise if thats not why you want to give blood then i suggest you don't do it because you want to for the wrong reasons.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I've never given blood. Stuff at boarding school meant I would be excluded before I was even old enough to give.