1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQQ Housing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shevanel, Jan 20, 2009.

?

Would you Take LGBT Housing if Offered?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. joss22

I don't think I would go for it, but what do I know, I am a high schooler still. I would have the feeling that people would judge you just based on where you live, instead of getting to know you as a person. Rather than learn what you are actually like, they would make assumptions based on your sexuality, and I don't like that...

2. Derek the Wolf

Hell, why not?

3. Bunny

Dude, you should totally do it! That's awesome!

Pride, man, pride!

4. Brandford

I would do it, then again, I am very very very tired of being surrounded by straight people, I can't even find a show with a permanent gay character that isn't Noah's Arc or Queer as Folk, its really irritating, so yes i would do it, I like the idea of seeing gay couples kiss in the halls and stuff like that instead of the regular straight couple you see literally EVERYWHERE

5. musican

I think I would go for it because I get along so much better with girls, so rooming with them would probably be easier, plus it would be cool to be surrounded by people who understand you and accept you.

6. xXHolic

wouldn't that create like a ghetto amongst people?

it would be like " WOW, these people are gay haha lol lets mess with them" and stuff//

so no

7. devushka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it's a good idea, and i support the fact that schools do it, but personally, I probably wouldn't do it. I'd be afraid that it would isolate me from my straight friends or that it would become the "overarching" part of my identity (like someone saying "oh there's that lesbian who lives in the LGBT dorm") I'm comfortable with my orientation, but I don't want it to be the defining thing about me. also, I bet that hall would be super dormcestuous! (all the queer kids in one place? hello soap operas! :grin: )

8. partietraumatic

wonderfully put :grin: hehe

9. fallendream

surely thats twisting homophobic bullying to being homophobic to those not being homosexual...meaning everyone has to be a certain way again and the world is back to square one with homophobes...but this time hetrophobes....

if you understand

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I would.

Although I have the feeling that it would probably be the most regulated housing due to the fear of partying, etc.

11. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I think I'd be slightly offended that they'd make it but I would definitely go for it. You know what I mean, that like I'd be offended that they'd separate gay guys in their own house but I get why they do it, I think I'm more offended by the things that make them feel like they have to, I don't know. I would go to it though because I'd like being somewhere where I wouldn't have to worry that someone secretly resents me just because I'm gay. You know the people I'm talking about. Those closet homophobes, I'd like not having to worry if my roommate was one of those guys.

12. Lychee

I wouldn't - my sexuality doesn't define who I am, and I think it's making too much of a big deal out of it. I don't care what anyone gets up to and with whom in the privacy of their own bedroom, and the idea to separate people on the basis of who they want to have sex with seems ridiculous.

13. Hoppip

Well, Joey, putting aside the fact that you're a despicable idea-stealing monstrosity of a person (that I adore, of course), I'll put in my two cents. Seeing as I'm having the same thoughts floating in my mind.

This thread has given us some good points and bad points:

Positive:
    - gender-neutral atmosphere and rooming (+ more comfortable dressing, bathing, being with a female roommate, etc.)
    - assurance of a positive, GLBT friendly atmosphere and roommate (+ support system)
    - chance to learn even more about contemporary GLBT life (real life things you wouldn't learn on EC, for example)

Negative:
    - feeling of segregation
    - fear of gluing identity to that of the dorm (+ "gay" dorm = gay kid?)

In my opinion, I'd think it would be a great learning opportunity and excellent way to put the foot in the door for self-expression. You'd be guaranteed a GLBT-safe roommate which would relieve a lot of stress. You'd have far more opportunities to reach out for real, physical human support (something EC can never replace) about GLBT life. You can also explore other aspects of GLBT life from the lens of other people.

It's a unique experience that many GLBT students don't get to have. I'm definitely wanting to do it. You wouldn't have to worry about ten drunken straight guys piling in a dorm talking saying "that's soooo gay, dude, don't be a faaag." That's almost the deal-maker for me.

In any case, explore the options, make a good choice. :')

Edit: 41 ECers say "yea" and 18 say "nay." Take that as your senate vote.

14. Shevanel

Congrats Sean on reviving a thread in which it's last post was like 6 6/8 months ago :grin:

15. Hoppip

...You sick bastard! xD

16. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    there would be a lot of sex going on
    like a ton
    so if your cool with hearing sex thru walls when trying to sleep go for it

17. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    this is a fairly valid reason. I know that I'm personally getting tired of it, but it's always going to be around. That and I've had 2 weird roommates that are straight, and I do feel more comfortable rooming with a girl.

18. 71390S

71390S Guest

No. I can see why it would be good for some people (esp trans) but I like integration better.

19. Shevanel

Been there done that. was Not Cool with it however. Straight roommate too. Honestly, I don't want to hear any sex at all. damn annoying and gross if you ask me.

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

I think that's all college dorms regardless of orientation :grin: