1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story so far......

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by coriolis, Nov 24, 2008.

1. coriolis

coriolis Guest

Hi. I have been reading the posts here for a few months, so I thought it was about time I told my own story.

I'm 18 years old. I grew up in a fairly conservative, rural area. Looking back, I always knew I wasn't like most other people, but I just didn't have a clue what it was.

I was never any good at sports-I was more interested in music and drama and stuff. I remember back when I was in primary school, the other boys used to talk incessantly about all these "hot" women, and I would sit there, and nod my head when appropriate. But in reality, I just didn't get. It didn't make any sense to me.

Despite all this, it never crossed my mind that I might be gay. It was unheard where I grew up. That's not to say that I didn't know that there were gay people out there. I had a plan laid out before me- finish school, get a job, marry, have kids. Anything else wasn't an option.

So, I continued to delude myself. When I was maybe 12, I first started to feel attracted to other guys. You would think that at this stage, alarm bells would be ringing in head. No such luck however. Even though I acknowledged that I felt attracted to guys, I convinced myself that I wasn't gay. If you want to look at it very deeply, you might say that subconsciously, I didn't want the discrimination that inevitably goes with being gay.

I didn't even try to tell myself that it was a phase-I was attracted to guys but I was fully straight....makes sense eh?!?! Anyway, when I was about 14 or 15, I started
    feeling extremely depressed, but i couldn't, or maybe didn't want to know why. It came and went for about 3 years. (I'll get back to that in a while).

Anyway, about 2 years ago, I finally knew I was gay. I couldn't say it though. Icouldn't even say those 2 words inside my own head! It was about that time also that I realised that religion was not for me. I grew up in a moderately religious family (Catholic). Funny how my parents seemed to get more religious once I stopped going to mass!! Finally I came to the conclusion that I don't believe in a god, or afterlife or any of that. This completely changed my perspective on life. While before I would get upset easily by things, now I try my best to ignore them and not waste my life worrying about what other people think. I haven't felt depressed in a long time, so I must be doing something right!!

Anyway, back on topic. While I knew I was gay a year or two ago, it was only really this summer that I really accepted it. In a sense it was a relief, but it did bring even more problems. I started to think about coming out, and because of this, I beacme very quiet. Eventually, this September, my mother asked what was wrong, and why I was so quiet. After a lot of hesitation, I very clumsily blurted it out. It was aless than ideal situation. I had wanted the whole thing to be planned out, and on my terms, but what can you do.

I never expected it to go down very well, but I felt that she would accept it. Unfortunately for me, she was convinced that that its just a phase, even when I told her that I've known a couple of years. Then she started asking me all these awful questions like "did someone do something to you?" I tried to explain to her that its just who I am. Finally she said that I'm too young to know!!!

I left for college a couple of days after. That was over 2 months ago, and she hasn't opened her mouth about the whole thing since. I think she's in denial. I probably should say something so she realises that she'll have to come to terms with it, but I can't....it was hard enough to do it once!!

College is a big improvement, even though I'm living with a few friends from home so I can't be as open as I'd like without coming out, which I'm not ready for yet. The nightlife is good, and I met a guy in a club one night. We had a very brief relationship for a few weeks, but we kinda drifted apart. It was nothing serious, so no hard feelings. One of my friends was there in the club the night I met this guy so I'm not sure if he saw us or not. I would prefer if he had, because he's open minded, and he'd be one of the first people I'd tell anyway. The problem is, I'm not sure whether or not he knows!

Next comes the most unusual part. I was in an apartment with 3 friends from college. We were just having a few beers and watching TV, when out of the blue, the girl said "Are any of you guys gay?" Silence. She asked the other two guys individually, and they saidd no. Then she asked me. I paused for a second, because I didn't want the alcohol to cloud my judgement. I said to myself, I might as well go for it, because I'll have to tell them sometime.

So I said "Yeah". Then she asked me "Are you just messing?" and I said "no, I'm serious". So then she said "so do you kiss guys and stuff", and I said yeah. Then she just said "cool". The 2 guys didn't say anything, but they didn't seem to bothered-they just wanted her to shut up so they could hearthe TV.

So, I was obviously happy with that whole episode. Anyway, I still have a long way to go, especially before I tell my friends in general. I know that a few won't mind, so I justhave to fight back the nerves and get it over and done with. The rest of them will take a bit more time. I just hope my mother will come round sometime soon. I just don't like the way she looks at me like I'm someone different. I don't know what to do about my father.....he's very old fashioned about things like this.

My extended family isn't much better...my mother told me (before I came out) that he said that if one his kids said they were gay he'd take out his shotgun!:eek::help:. Yeah, the extended family will take a bitof work, but then again that's a long way off. :lol:

Thanks for bearing with me, and my long winded spiel. I love this site!!(!)

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Thank you for posting your story. Congratulations on coming out to yourself, accepting who you are, on coming out to your mom and also for coming out to your first couple of friends. Well done!

I'm sorry that your mom reacted in the way that she did and that she does seem to be in denial. Have you tried giving her a few things to read and talking to her about it? Becky might be able to help you there. She heads a PFLAG chapter and might have some good materials for you. Feel free to pm her at any time. I think it will take some time for your mom to come around, but hopefully she will in time.

Yes, take your time in coming out to the rest of your family. There is no rush.

Wondering if you feel that you want your open minded friend to know. If you feel that he would be supportive and it would be good that he knows, maybe you could try coming out to him. I do think that it is important that you have a strong support network on which you can rely and count on. It is never too early or too late to start building that support network.

Know that EC is here for you. Welcome!

#2 Mirko, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. coriolis

coriolis Guest

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I would like him to know. We go back a really long way, and spent loads of time together as kids. I think he's definitely someone I could count on. Anyway, his brother is gay, so I doubt he'd have a problem with it!!

There are a few girls from school as well that I'm quite close to that I feel I can count on. It all comes down to working up the courage to do it. I know the reat of my friends won't be so eay, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I really appreciate the advice. If it wasn't for EC, there isn't a hope that I'd have gotten as far as I have.

4. donnie5

hey welcome to EC!!!!!!!! it will get easier to come out as you get more comfortable with your self i used to hate myself alot and the fact that i was gay but i came out a long time ago and now i wouldnt think of lying about it its who i am and frankly anyone who doesnt like me for who i am can **** off for all im concerned to put it bluntly. but congrats on how far youve come along keep it up!! and dont ever let someone else bring you down

5. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome. :slight_smile:

My advice is to take advantage of your situation. Moving to college, I have found thus far, is a fantastic thing. You have the chance to reinvent yourself and be the person that you want to be. So come forward at the pace that feels right, but don't scare yourself into the closet either. Remember that people in college generally don't have much of a preconception of who you are (save for the few friends from high school), so it's a great opportunity to start fresh, especially if you're comfortable with who you are yourself.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I had to laugh at the part about wanting the girl to shut-up so the guys could hear the TV.

Yes, your mom is in serious denial. That is pretty typical behavior. If she ignores it, she thinks it will go away. I would definitely download some of the PFLAG materials and just leave it for her to read. Your daughters and Sons and Faith in Our Families are the best. You can download them here:

http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=594&srcid=416

7. pianomike

hello and welcome,

I feel like i'm you just 2 years younger, same story you told is very similar to mine.
    Very religious family and such, but one thing i've found is that you don't need to rush the coming out part, I wouldn't dare tell any family or friends right now (although 2 people know) but the family will take LOTS of time and patience.
    Hope everything turns out just dandy!!!!

8. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Ha sounds like something my dad would do when he hears about me being gay, but maybe not when the rugby is on then he may get tres upset:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (honestly I don't think he would mind too much)

But anyway alot of that story sounds like my life in a nutshell. I knew I was gay but never actually said it to myself, I just came out and I still have trouble saying it in my head. The hard thing for parents to accept their son or daughter being gay is that the plan that they mapped out has vanished. Maybe your mum is trying to hang onto that. I know this is a problem with one of my gay friends, his parents wanted their son to have what they would consider their perfect life (just like the PC game The Sims). Take becky's advice about pflag, sometimes if parents can just talk about it they become more accepting of it.

Good luck at college, I'm here if you need a chat just post on my wall.

9. coriolis

coriolis Guest

Awww, thanks guys. Thanks for the link Becky. I'll have 3-4 weeks off for Christmas, so I think I might give it to her then.

Yeah, college has been great. Even when I'm with friends, I'm a lot less worried that they would find out. When I used to go out at home at the weekend, I used to feel even worse, because there were no other gay people to be seen. Even though I wouldn't have done anything about it, it still made me feel very isolated. College is great because there are loads of gay ppl!! :icon_bigg

Thanks for everything

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Thanks for sharing your story with us :slight_smile: It can be so cathartic and healing to tell other people, can't it? (*hug*)

11. Agerardii

Hi, thanks for sharing all that! I feel like I can really relate to your story, especially the earlier years part. My sister came out to our parents a few years ago and they're both still in denial. That's really great that you were able to answer honestly when someone flat out asked you. I find myself wishing people would just ask me sometimes, but I'm not sure if I could handle it as well as you did!

12. tm74

tm74 Guest

Hello and welcome! So much of your story echoes my experiences - especially

You'll find this is great place to be.

Well, if you want him to know, and you're sure he'll be fine with it - and for now - keep your secret - then the easy way to be sure is to tell him!

I have no plans to tell my parents, similar religious background to you - and I'm pretty sure they'd take it badly...

But anyway, thanks for telling your story, and welcome to EC - hopefully you'll feel at home here. :eusa_clap

13. EM68

Welcome to EC! The beginning of your story reminded a lot like mine. I found myself attracted to men but it never occurred to me that I might be gay. I like you statement that you did not get it when it came to other guys talking about woman. I felt the same way. In regards to your mom, it may take her some time to come around. Like others have said try giving her some PFLAG materials. Also if you have a chance, go to a PFLAG meeting. I have been going and it gives you a lot of great advice regarding coming out to families. Good Luck.