1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College: A New Beginning?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MateoBoi, Nov 22, 2008.

1. MateoBoi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just came out last week to a handful of friends here at my school.

It came about after only four months into my first semester away from home, my family, my old high school friends . . . the old obligations.

It was so unexpected; I met a guy that I took a liking to and after a good amount of chance encounters I finally got the courage to tell him that I was attracted to his personality, looks, and charm. I was in a state of disbelief when he told me that he felt the same for me.

It was a big deal to me because I'd never confronted my attraction to other guys with myself, much less to the guys I'm crushing on.

After a few nights of getting acquainted with my new friend, two of my closest friends here at school noticed a change in me; when confronted about it, I finally cracked and admitted that I like men.

I was so nervous, but they both took it very well and only wished for my happiness. The love and acceptance I received from those two friends gave me the confidence to openly admit to my homosexuality with three of my guy friends (including my roommate) - and they too accepted me unconditionally.

I have been lucky in that the people I've been honest with have only judged me by the basis of who I am - not who I'm attracted to. The support I've received has been amazing and I finally feel freer . . . 19 years old, and I have been fortunate enough to have the friends that I do here at college.

To make matters even better, I'm now seeing the guy I really like - so far the relationship has had its ups and downs, but I wouldn't change it for the world, having had to wait so long to be able to hold one.

Now, if I can only build up the confidence to let my family know . . .

2. george678

Well first well done :slight_smile: but you will have to let your family know soon.

3. Markio

I kind of know how you feel: I just started coming out to other college students last month, and already I've made a lot more friends, I'm more comfortable with myself, and I finally get to do "gay" things that I would otherwise have been afraid of:

-LGBT community Ally training: I met at least three great friends through this!
    -No on Prop 8 Rally: Another friend! (I told my roommates I was going to some activity meeting...:rolleyes:slight_smile:
    -And tonight I'm going to a candlelight vigil for regarding Prop 8's passing.

Being in college is such a relief. I can make friends that like me for who I am, and I don't have to worry if they find out about my sexual orientation, because they already know. Of course, I've still got to tell my roommates, or at least the one I'm friends with. And I won't tell my family until I'm moved out and have a job, but at least college is like a deep breath of fresh air away from home. College really is a new beginning. good luck with your partner, Mateoboi! :smilewave

4. Larry Myster

Wow, I am so happy for you! It must be great being out, and I bet it feels good to have a partner with you too huh?

Well anyway, goodluck with your BF!(*hug*)

5. Nodnarb

Congrats!:grin:

I'm hoping for college to be a "new beginning" for me as well. But I've recently realized that close to a third of my high school graduating class will be going to the same university as me, and I hope that it doesn't just become "high school all over again". But I'm definately going to try and be open about my sexuality in college:slight_smile:

6. Jesse Jinx

Hey congrats! It's always so much easier when you've got someone standing at your side.

You're doing great, and I hope to hear more on your story soon. :grin:

7. ColdSnap

amazing stuff man, good times :slight_smile:

8. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College is wonderful. :slight_smile: Congratulations!

9. AtticusFinch

I'm curious to hear how your roommate took the news. It sounds like it was positive. Is he supportive, or does he just not want to talk about it? I am really nervous about telling my roommate...

10. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds great! That is pretty much exactly what I hope for when I go to college.