1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking back, were there signs pre-puberty?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JoeBloggs, Oct 25, 2008.

?

Have you "always known" you were gay, even partially?

1. Yes

81 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. littledinosaurs

I said yes.
    i never had a crush on a guy before puberty but i was attracted to them.
    and i was always attracted to girls lol.

2. EmperorNero

(I assume that the word "gay" may be replaced with "bi", or whatever, since there is no "I'm not gay"-option)

No, not at all. I can't really express myself well enough in english, so I can't give an explanation.

3. JoeBloggs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't mention being bi into it because it brings about several more possibilities:

1) There were no signs pre-puberty of either sex, and both kicked in at puberty
    2) There were heterosexual signs pre-puberty, and bisexual attraction kicked in at puberty (the opposite-sex attraction developed and same-sex attraction started)
    3) There were homosexual signs pre-puberty, and bisexual attraction kicked in at puberty (the same-sex attraction developed and opposite-sex attraction started)
    4) There were bisexual signs pre-puberty, and these developed during puberty.

4. mattypants

i had a nonsexual crush on a girl prepuberty, but there was always that little odd feeling when i saw guys shirtless. especialy if they were hot xD

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Way back when I was about 6 or 7, when I first found out that two women could have a relationship, I remember thinking "I could be happy like that". I didn't really connect that with the concept of being gay for a few years, though.

6. Nugget

Nope. Never knew as a child. Then again, I was a very naïve kid; things always went through one ear and out the other. I'm pretty sure that if I exhibited any signs, everyone else knew first. I also never had real crushes on anyone, especially since I was too pre-occupied trying to make sure I befriended as many girls as possible.

Omg I love that song and I don't know why.

7. Markio

My close friend and I used to sit at the girl's table at lunch. I remember staring at his body curiously at his birthday party. Once at another birthday party we were playing truth or dare, and I dared a few boys to take off their shirts (and say "suck it!", to make it more complicated and less suspicious). I must've been nine or ten.

I also had a girlfriend in second grade. I used to hang out with her and her girl friends. One time at recess we were braiding each other's hair, but then one of my sister's friends came over and I got scared and ran away. My girlfriend was and is very pretty, I would totally try and date her if I was straight. Too bad, huh?

I also read the Goosebumps book Say Cheese and Die...Again and found the graphic descriptions to be really interesting. Except I knew I wasn't supposed to feel that way, and I didn't know how I was supposed to feel.

8. Nodnarb

Yeah....back in elementary school I had a crush on a guy. All these years later, I still think he's cute:wink:.

I also enjoyed doing "girl things" just as much as (or more than) "boy things". Most of my friends were way into Boy Scouts(and still are), but I absolutely hated it. After a year or two, I forced my parents to let me quit.

9. musican

I always knew that I was different and from a young age I was closer to girls and couldnt figure out why guys and girls couldnt be friends. When I got closer to puberty and other guys started getting crushes on girls, I never really thought that any girl was hot, and I didnt understand why guys thought girls were confusing; I understood them better than I understood myself and other guys. Then I realized that I thought guys were hot and even if I thought I had a crush on a girl, I just thought she was beautiful and was really cool. I tried to tell myself that I'm bi, but I realized I wasnt after I thought that this nearly perfect girl was beautiful and not hot.

10. AeonToy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I put no, because im a blind idiot.

really... i was in crazy blind denial. Even though now i realize how i thought my eighth grade math teacher was really hot and how when i was 5 i dressed up in dresses...and played with barbies with my sister... somehow the possibility of me being gay wasnt an option in my mind. until i went to europe with my sister and BOOM! italian men everywhere....

11. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i put no. i had no idea untill i hit like 13. then i started noticing boys more and more. i was in denile untill freshmen year high school. i hoped it was just a passing phase.

but yes i guess there were signs. i grew up mostly around my two sisters and my mom because my dad was always at work. so i ended up playing with their toys because i was around them and my sisters were the only ones to play with. i also had a thing about putting on my moms high heels. i just thought it was funny at the time but looking back...

12. ArcusPuer

yeah there was definitly sgns, i played with dolls and girls from a really young age.
    i always felt different to teh rest of teh guys, but i was a smart child so i blamed it on that for a long time, i remember actually thinking to myself for quite a while that girls must be smarter than boys as the smart people at my primary school were pretty much all girls but me...
    been a while since i thought about that...

13. HighintheClouds

No signs about me being gay. Just signs about me being different (eg playing with dolls, though one can't say that that's a surefire way to tell that one's gay)

14. Mikeyy

hmmm....

I used to dress up in womens clothing, shoes and make up.

I didn't really like sports.

My better friends were always girls.

I've loved musicals since forever.

Yes, I'd say there were signs.

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking back, I think there were some signs that I very clearly missed before I hit puberty and had my first crush on a girl. For example, once I actually said 'I hate boys'. Admittedly I was exaggerating big-time but at the time I thought romance was stupid and did not understand how people were so into hooking up with guys, kissing them, going out etc.

It's only later that I realized that what I must have meant was 'I'm not interested in boys'. I just didn't say that because at the time I had no idea that I was gay, and therefore interested in girls instead. I always assumed I would wait until I was older and that the feelings would come later.

Whereas before I couldn't understand the concept of romance, I discovered when I came out to myself that actually I'm a complete romantic and love to dream of being in a relationship, only with a hot gal instead of a guy!! :grin:

EDIT: I actually selected 'No' in the poll because until puberty, I didn't have any idea whatsoever that I was gay. I thought I was straight for all that time...lol...

16. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I said yes because there were signs. BUT that doesn't mean I always knew, because I tried to convince myself for a long time that I was straight and harboured crushes on boys and whatever. So, although there were signs, I tried to ignore them.

17. Rubra et atra

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Is wanting to be batman a sign?
    Other than that I don't think there has been any signs besides the fact that I knew I was different (read knew I wasn't straight when I knew the meaning of being straight)

18. kramer362

I was into typical guy stuff, but also typical girl stuff. I played with firetrucks and barbies. I was also obsessed with both baseball AND arts and crafts. I was a big momma's boy though and wasn't really close with my dad (this is where the conversion therapists swoop in and state this as the psychological cause of being gay).

Any crushes I had were always on girls though and I never felt an attraction to guys until I was 13 or 14. It was like an abrupt shift, which of course made it take a lot longer to admit I'm gay and cling to hopes of heterosexuality :bang:

19. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No. I never even had a crush until sixth grade (Im totally serious). Didn't have a crush on a girl until this year. Well maybe last year, but I kind of ignored it.

20. kh23172

Honestly no..

There are so many hints as to that I am gay now.. majority of my friends are girls, etc.

Back in elementary school, and 6th grade, my best friends were always boys, and I always had a lot of boy friends. For some reason in 5th grade though, people started to call me gay. Honestly, I don't know why but they did. I truly do believe that the persistence of them doing that and me being called until 8th grade is what made me think "am i? am i gay?" and thus caused me to be gay. At about 8th grade I started to realize that I did like boys, but I also did like girls, and I concluded to myself that I was bi. It wasn't until 2 months ago did I decide that I really am gay, and I've stuck with it, and I'm proud. :slight_smile: