1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to....a customer?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Swamp56, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

So I was in work today (I'm a cashier at a retail store), and I was trying to fold this woman's clothes and I had some difficulty and said out loud "I don't understand women's clothing".

The woman looked at me and smiled and said "Ah, you'll learn it when you have a wife" then she paused looked at me, and said "if that's your orientation", and I was just like :confused: , and I told her that she was the only person who ever made that justification, and she told me about how she thinks gay people are fine and that she is totally supportive of them, and I said that I was, and she told me about her gay friend who was amazing.

After she finished checking out, she smiled and told me to have a nice day, and I said the same back at her.

Sometimes that 1 nice customer can really outweigh the tons of roudy, rude, ignorant customers that I mainly get :slight_smile: .

2. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

what clothing store?

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Marshalls...one of TJX Companies, Incorporated's stores.

4. Astaroth

Oooh, something similar happened to me about a year ago. I used to work at the front desk of a hotel overnight. This one lady came in because she had been bumped from her flight. Usually when we take in 'distressed passengers' from flights, they're very upset and just want to scream at the airline, but that attitude usually transfers to whoever is in front of them at the time: me. So anyway, this lady came in and she was smiling, so I was like 'phew'. We talked for a moment about the cancelled flight and stuff and when the lobby was completely empty, she leaned forward slightly and asked with a small smile "Are you gay?"

So I figured, what the hell, she seems nice enough. "Yep." This look of glee came over her face and she whispered to me "So am I, but I've never met anyone else who is that I know of for sure. This is so cool!" She was pretty tired though, so she was going right to bed. But I felt good that I could be the first person to really make her feel validated. I actually sent up a small gift basket once she got settled in with some snacks and bottled water. Didn't see her before I got off shift, but it certainly made my night.

5. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

oh yeah. we have tons here in cali. :slight_smile:

6. Derek the Wolf

Wow, those are both great stories. It's great to hear you're finding people who are supportive among the throngs of the otherwise...less tolerant.

7. EM68

That's great! I work with the public and it can stink. Its true that one nice customer can make your day. :slight_smile:

8. crimsonarcher

that's awesome!

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Great stories! :slight_smile:

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really cool. :slight_smile:

11. george678

Yes I like reading them.

12. hairdye

heres my situation

i work at starbucks. one gloomy afternoon, when it wasn't busy, i was on register.
    a woman in her twenties walks in... wearing a corsette/skirt type lengiere piece.
    an idiot could tell... HOOKER.

regardless, I help her out. She opps to put all the money she can find in her purse on a starbucks card. she had about 10 in cash, then pretty much dumped her purse on the counter to find all the change. she then says to me,

"sorry, I have a messy purse" I reply, "Oh don't we all have a messy purse!?".

and she looks up as me as if I was a frickin angel and goes, "you're gay!?" like it was the coolest thing ever. And I casually answered... "ummm, yeah." then she said that was cool and wanted to know if i went to clubs and stuff. like my life was something to marvel over. ;x

she was quite the character.

13. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, I wish I'd been brave enough to come out to all of the creepy cougars that tried to prey on me when I was a busboy :lol:

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Amen!

Great story, by the way. I don't think I've heard anyone make the kind of justification either.

15. Chris

I love happy gay moments!!

16. Emile

Emile Guest

Haha! That's great XD. I did that with a customer once too, I'm a cashier in a supermarket. And he was handing me his lottery tickets, then he just stopped, like, he froze. He was staring at a "chick" (really thats the word) passing by. It was like SO obvious lol. Then he looked at me and he said : "Looking at them should be a sin huh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:". I didn't answer. He said "Don't you agree?". I said "Not everyone has the same tastes when it comes to people". Hehe!

He finally handed me his damn lottery tickets without saying a single word, lol XD.

17. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Thats nice :slight_smile:

18. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

thats an awesome story! must have felt good inside after talkin with her!:icon_bigg

19. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just yesterday a male-female couple who seemed to be in a relationship were shopping at the retail store I work at. Apparently the man was sick of shopping but the woman was still looking around. The guy approached me and asked if I go shopping with my "girlfriend." I hesitated with my response and merely said "Nope." He went on to say that girls don't know how to shop :rolleyes:

If something like this happened to me far from home and not in an area I frequent, I'd be tempted to be honest. I'd love to broaden somebody's mind with a simple word.

20. Myke

Myke Guest

I have never come out to a customer. I have made comments infront of my co-workers, they probably suspect something haha