1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is LGBT life for you where you live (country/state/city)?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sisyphusstone, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

Here in Ohio, it really depends on where you are. If you are in certain parts of Cleveland or Columbus you will be alright. If you are out in the suburbs and rural areas, you might run into some trouble. The northern half of the state is a little more accepting than the southern half.

2. Derek the Wolf

It's pretty mixed here in Illinois. A lot more people than I thought are accepting of orientation, but there's always the extremes on either end. Not bad at all though.

3. george678

It can be hard people being anti gay but you have to deal with it.

4. Henrike

Gonna have to agree with derek, although the area I'm in is quite used to a homosexual presence.

5. steveo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So true. It seems like all of Illinois is like this. Major urban cities at yet if you drive south you start seeing seas of corn and soy beans. 95 degrees in the summer and below freezing in the winter. Wheaton with the most churches per square mile in the United States and Chicago with Boystown. This is one weird state if i do say so myself :roflmao:

6. Ronnie92

Here in Atlantic City we used to have a huge LGBT community. They used to have an entire street, that when the Miss America Pageant went by they shouted "Show your shoes honey!" (was loads of fun to be close by them) It's died down in years, the closest gay club to me closed down, yet people aren't too bad if your a nice enough person. I am the only person around who likes guys yet isn't such a queen(no offense to anyone who is) or a jerk. So they still need a little lesson in tolerance but otherwise livable.

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Melbourne is alright for LGBT people. In the inner city there's a lot of tolerance for all types of people generally, but there's always the homophobic/racist f**ktard who causes trouble.
    Going out into the suburbs here it just gets worse. I'm in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne (an area called Narre Warren) and the amount of gay/racist slurs I hear is horrible!

And there's another area called Dandenong about 15-20 mins away which is just horrid. Gang fights and everything.

So ultimately it depends on what area you're in. I reckon overall Melbourne will be a lot better if our state of Victoria got some better gay rights. We have adoption at least? =/ But no form of civil union or marriage.

8. paint

well. for me it's okay. When I was growing up in Houston , I was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness kid......some conflict there heh.
    And it was an unthinkable label to have in junior high. Yet that didn't stop me from having good memories. Also, I met another gay guy, which shocked my brain and made me realize that anywhere you go there's a chance someone will have a homosexual orientation. They just might not want to come out of the closet.
    Now that I'm in a good neighborhood in Dallas, things are better. My familia is great, and very accepting. You still hear slurs a lot in school and random places. But nothing I can't handle.

9. ArcusPuer

Yeah it is definitly better in the inner city, i go to an inner city school and it is so much more tolerant then those in the suburbs, like if im talking to my friends who go to other schools, gay is evey second word. but when im at school, i only hear the word once or twice a day.
    im quite happy where i am.

and well yes, the dandenongs is one of those places....
    xx

10. Étoile

I know exactly how you feel Wander. Born and raised in Georgia and I still get lightheaded from the intense summer heat.

Here in Georgia, it truly depends on the individual. Some people are extremely anti-gay, some people are extremely pro-gay. The majority of people are just indifferent. The usual responses I hear are: "I don't care, it's their life." "Who am I to tell what someone should and shouldn't do?" "What people do in their homes is none of our business." My English teacher today repriminded this extremely obnoxious kid in my class when we were talking about intelligence and physical appearances and he whispered quite loudly 'He was gay.' about this kid who dropped out of school since he didn't want to dye his fuchsia hair. Anyway, she went on this long speech about accepting other people but the part I remember the most is when she said: "Why does it matter if he's gay? Do people go around and say 'You know [insert kid's name] the straight boy?'"

11. biisme

There seem to be quite a few people from Massachusetts in this thread....

But, yea, I'm about...10 minutes away from Massachusetts, and for the most part (ie: not in my stuck up, upper-middle class, white town) the area is very accepting. And, even my town isn't bad. It's just not great. it's neutral.

12. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I see teens in the city and they rarely say any gay slurs but at major shopping centres like Fountain Gate and Knox City the ****ing brats there scream out homophobic comments every second.

Mental note to self: Move into city and away from suburbia. >_>

Mental note to self #2: Build a device that can make me older and filthy rich so I can legally move out of home and afford my dream apartment.

13. Twilight

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Nova713 what part of Ohio do you live in? I live in southern Ohio and I get tired of people always being so homophobic it seems like there are no gay/bi people where I live. I live in the city but yeah pretty much here in southern Ohio people are not that accepting and people are so open about being homophobic. I just feel like saying Im not heterophobic so why are you so homophobic. :bang: It flustrates me so much that I am very open and everyone here is so closed minded!!!

#33 Twilight, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

In Connecticut its not bad if you live near the more urban areas, rural areas are a bit wacky and not easy for gay people. As for Greece, I live in a city and it seems somewhat oppressed. People arent openly gay really. There is a gay scene, but since I'm not local its hard for me to find it on my own.

15. jazzrawr

I'm in CANADAAA.
    It's pretty ok here. :slight_smile:
    I mean, some teenagers are like "EEWWWW GAY GERMS" but theyre still immature.
    Most adults are ok with it here, unless theyre super religious.
    In my town, it's pretty much the same deal.
    So we're pretty neutral...probably more to the positive side of neutral ^.^

16. XxTheNumbOnexX

Well...its definately not incredibly good. But its not AS bad as some ppl would probably expect either.

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm well you see, I live in Dubai, where all the locals are homophobes.

But I never see them too much anyway. So yeah, my life's fine. I'm out among all my close friends, and life is dandy. Shame there's a lack of gay women though, because it means gay relationships are practically non-existent there. And even if there were, no one would dare to flaunt them because they'd probably end up arrested.

As for my school life in the UK, it's like sooo accepting, I just came out completely and it hasn't been horrible at all. The only thing is, people don't talk to me about it, they talk behind my back about it, but not in a bad way just the 'OMG she's gay? I didn't know that!' way.

18. mattypants

i suppose downtown is more neutral. most of the innercity still seems homophobic, and surrounding suburbs are like "fine, but we dont want to se it"
    and then theres weho (west hollywood) seems to be the socal gay friendly spot.

19. Psychedelic Bookmarks

It's alright here. There's pretty much no gay scene so it's very hard to meet gay people - I live in a very rural area, and in the nearest city, 25 miles from me, there's just one gay bar. So, yeah, prosepects aren't great. Also, it's an enormous conservative stronghold and the population is very old - my town in particular, is almost entirely pensioners. So those two facts don't make general acceptance levels fabulous. On the other hand, there are lots of people who are liberal and accepting, and there are - one or two - openly gay people around. My church vicar is gay friendly - kudos to him. Obviously at school there's all the usual gay bashing, but there are also a fair number of accepting kids. A few people have even come out at my school, but hardly any - there are loads of closet cases though.

20. Bunny

Ugh, don't even get me started. I live in a horrible little redneck town. The valley itself is beautiful, but the people make it ugly. They're all painfully close-minded and ignorant. And the town is basically run by older folks, so the general attitude around here is pretty old-fashioned and conservative. A few of the teachers are nice (I've even considered coming out to my counselor, but decided against it) but they all live out-of-town.