1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    McCain is really doing poorly in these debates, and everyone thought they were going to be his strong points - that he would get to present himself as a patriotic leader and paint Obama as mumbling and inexperienced.

His "that one" comment destroyed all of that. He came off as snide, condescending, and disrespectful towards Obama more than once during the debate, but when he referred to Obama as "that one", I could hear his approval ratings bounce off the floor. That was just pathetic.

2. Nodnarb

I couldn't believe he said that. Pathetic is a good way to describe it.

3. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What surprised me was how old McCain came across... I never noticed before seeing him walking around.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't think the debate was as good as the first one but it was okay. I hope the last debate is even better.

5. I know I'm probably going to get shunned for this, but I think McCain did REALLY well.
    I'm sorry guys, but there's just something about Obama that doesn't convince me at all. :frowning2:

I hope I don't get eaten alive for this here ... :tears:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, you won't get crushed. McCain certainly didn't wedge himself under a tire, but things like referring to Obama as "that one", trying to interrupt him as he spoke, and directing Obama's handshake towards Cindy came off as disdainful and condescending. If Obama appears aloof at times, McCain seems almost contemptuous.

7. Steam Giant

Both parties did very well in the debate, but I feel inclined to nudge things slightly in the direction of Obama (likely because I'm a supporter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Obama actually did better than he did last time, when he was criticized for being too reserved and stiff - he seemed a lot more lively, and a lot more ready to strike back.

All that being said, both candidates kept their cool the whole time, and were professional...for the most part. McCain came close to losing his cool with his "that one" remark - he looked pissed! Otherwise, the two kept their emotions in check, which is good.

Of course, there was some misleading going on, on both sides. Again, since I'm an Obama/Biden supporter, I'll just point out the McCain equivocations (do your own damn research :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

This is direct from an AP article on the topic:

McCain: Said one way out of the financial crisis is to "stop sending $700 billion a year to countries that don't like us."

The Facts: Although he didn't spell it out, he was referring to purchases of oil from countries hostile to the US. The figure is inflated and misleading. The US is not spending nearly that much on oil imports.

[I'd also like to point out that a huge percentage of our oil imports comes from Canada and Mexico - Steam Giant]

McCain: Said he would provide for $5,000 refundable tax credit for families to buy health insurance "rather than mandates or fines for small businesses as Sen. Obama's plan calls for."

The Facts: Mr. Obama's health care plan does not impose mandates or fines on small businesses. He would provide small businesses with a refundable tax credit of up to 50% on health premiums paid on behalf of their employees. Also, large employers that do not offer meaningful coverage or contribute to the cost of coverage would be required to pay a percentage of payroll toward the costs of a public insurance plan. But small businesses would be exempt from that requirement.

Edit: Having worked for multiple employers who, as that AP writer described, "do not offer meaningful coverage or contribute to the cost of coverage," I'm thinking we're better off with Obama's plan, than with McCain's "take this, you're on your own" approach.

8. baileyh

baileyh Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched a little bit and shut it off.I am not an Obama supporter,he want to change the 2nd amendment and get rid of guns.He want to get rid 0f 90% of gunshops,put a 500% tax on guns and ammo,many more.I seen one attack on Obama from the NRA and they do not want him in office.

9. Janvier

^Bush did far worse..
    Guns only have one purpose, so I don't see it as a bad thing to ban guns. I mean, who in their right mind would let stupid people run around with an object inteded to kill? I heard somewhere that people have weapons on them so that incase someone else takes out a gun they can kill him but wouldn't banning firearms significantly reduce the likelyhood of someone pulling out a gun in the first place?
    Guns KILL, thats what they're made for.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [youtube]iZsO7dZ__iw[/youtube]

I found that about Sarah Palin. :grin:

11. Steam Giant

Martin - LOL!

The NRA outright lies in the majority of their attacks, and almost always follows these attacks up with a request for more money.

Obama is advocating more gun control. Relax, nobody's going to come knocking on your door to take your guns away. That is the light that the NRA tends to show the topic in, however. I was actually surprised to learn, long ago, that guns don't require a license. Cars do, and they're very lethal themselves, though not designed to be. Guns are only designed to be lethal. Even bean bag rounds from a shot gun or rubber bullets from a .22 can kill. Guns are only designed to kill living creatures. There should be strict rules regarding their procurement! Very strict!

And please don't push that "self-defense" nonsense in here, either. Lady keeps gun in purse, thief tears purse off of arm and now has gun. Man keeps gun at bedside table, accidentally kills daughter, mistaking her for burgler. Man pulls gun on someone robbing a store, but has no crime-fighting training, and has now made himself out to be a target. These aren't isolated incidents or taken from specific news stories, these are common occurrences.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Obama does not want to get rid of guns. He supports gun control which is a good thing for America!

13. baileyh

baileyh Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gun control does not work and it shows,the bans do not work with very high crime rates.Gun control is using two hands.It was shown in Washington, DC which had a gun ban which was struck down by the US supreme court,high murder rates and Obama was a huge supporter of this gun ban wgich he still isPlus Obama want to make CCW laws gone and he does not know they help in Texas and in Michigan which crime rates are down.Obama lied during the debate and MCcain let that out,Obama is out there to raise taxes.

14. Steam Giant

1. The gun ban was shot down because it pretty much directly violated the constitution. I was all for it too, but didn't expect it to actually happen, for that very reason. If there's a way for them to strike that amendment out of the constitution, to not prohibit but at the same time, not guarentee the right to bear arms, I hope they can find it. Until then, I can understand overturning something that goes against something written in the constitution. I may not like it, but there it is.

2. Yes, Obama and McCain lied during this past debate. Just like both parties did during Biden and Palin's debate, just like Obama and McCain did during the first debate, just like both partys' campaign commercials, etc. I may not like it, you may not like it, but lies are extremely common this close to the election, and are utilized quite frequently by both campaigns. To imply that only one of the campaigns is doing the lying, however, is a nieve falsehood. As was said in a recent comic strip, "can you even fit stones that big in your glass houses?"

3. To quote something I said in analysis of the VP debate:

Let me also point out that, of those 94 "votes," two things can be said. One, over half of those were for economic measures that would not result in increased taxes. And second, the McCain campaign took a lot of liberties in tallying those votes. For instance, for one measure that might have contained 7 votes, they counted that as "7 votes to raise taxes," when, in fact, it was all on the same measure, so it's only actually 1 vote.

Now, granted, one of the key factors of being a democrat is that you believe that the government should assist those in need, and to do that they need money, which, when last I checked, doesn't grow on trees. So yeah, stuff like Medicare is paid for with taxes. It sucks, sure, but would you rather do without Medicare? Would you rather go on without a national healthcare system?

But anyway, you're obviously not a democrat, and I'm obviously not going to change your mind. But my point is, while higher taxes kind of come with this particular democratic party ideal, Obama is nonetheless against raising taxes unnecisarily. Sometimes, it has to be done (yes, the government needs money too), but Obama shows a solid record of trying to keep our taxes down. The same simply can't be said about McCain.

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ever heard of YouTube Poops?

16. ginger222u

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Totaly thought Obama kicked ass